Ex Decorum Veritas

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

Ex Decorum Veritas

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:32 pm

"The latest mad scheme by the increasingly deranged Emperor Caligula has been to level the old city of Patavium, and to order Rome's engineers to divert the Bacchiglione river to form a moat around the city in the shape of a perfect octagon. You have been appointed as its new governor, charged with re-building Patavium as a beautiful city in his honour. Favor, security, prosperity and culture must all be high too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say, but when Caligula is the beholder there is no use arguing the point. He has devised a complex scheme for measuring your city's beauty, and has sent his advisor here to rate it. To achieve a high enough beauty rating - one of 90 or above - you must build a variety of impressive buildings, and decorate your city with statues of all sizes, trees, bushes and hedges. You can plaza the roads all you like too - but don't expect this to impress Caligula. As an incentive to beautification, Caligula has ordered other provinces not to trade with you until you have met certain targets he has set for your beauty rating - the Senate will then pay to open (or re-open) the trade route. You can always try paying for this yourself, of course, but this is not advisable when Caligula is keeping such a close eye on your city."

The target for favor, prosperity, culture and security ratings is - like beauty - set at 90. Target population 5000. This scenario is intended to be fun, not too difficult.

A note or two about the Beauty Rating: decorative items can contribute up to 50 towards the rating - the rest must come from buildings. The rating will change only gradually - by no more than 1 per week, so the effect of any placing of decorative items or impressive buildings will not be immediate. Each item or building has a maximum contribution it can make to the overall rating, so a methodical approach is likely to prove the most efficient.

EDIT: Please be sure to play this scenario with the "Disable in-game warnings" box unchecked - the script uses the "warning" messages to tell you what the city's current beauty rating is. Or, if you like a challenge, don't... :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Thank you, Hieronymus!

E6M Tarsus gets put on hold & we see how UGLY we can make a Pretty city tonight.

Can't wait! :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:07 pm

Maybe we should have a contest: ugliest city to achieve a Beauty Rating of 100 :p

Estavius Maximus

Postby Estavius Maximus » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:33 am

Aw. No false modesty. The only way to make it ugly is to let it burn down and get a screeny before it's gone in ashes.

Thanks again for all the effort you've put into these scenarios.

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:33 am

Excellent!

So, now that I've downloaded it, how do I tell CIV that I want to play it?

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:36 am

Corinthian wrote:So, now that I've downloaded it, how do I tell CIV that I want to play it?

Copy all the files in the zip to
C:\Program Files\Sierra\Caesar IV\Data\Scenarios
(assuming that is how you installed it)

Then click "Start new game", then "Scenarios" and you should see it there.

This looks so fascinating I put the campaign on hold, thanks Hieronymus :)

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks, Herodotus.

It's a really fun scenario, already have the beauty rating up to 39. :)

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:08 am

What a total failure, Hieronymus. I tried, I really tried to make an UGLY city. Couldn't dew it, Captain! :o It came out gorgeous! :eek:

I had absolutely no idea how to win. Thank you so much. Well Done! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:01 pm

MarkDuffy wrote:What a total failure, Hieronymus. I tried, I really tried to make an UGLY city. Couldn't dew it, Captain! :o It came out gorgeous! :eek:

LOL!!! Is this a first Mark? :p

Culture rating 100 too :eek:

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:42 pm

I don't know the meaning of the word Gorgeous. :rolleyes:

That was fun :)

Thanks Hieronymus

Here's one I took of Caligula when he visited

Added Screenshots. I tried to compose them so they did not become a spoiler:

Charioteer Park
Sloane Square
Wharf Corner
Caligula has become a God
Last edited by Herodotus on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcus_uproarius

Postby marcus_uproarius » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:35 am

[QUOTE=Herodotus]I don't know the meaning of the word Gorgeous. :rolleyes:

That was fun :)

Thanks

Is it too early to post city screenies?

Here's one I took of Caligula when he visited

wow he couldn't be much uglier could he? Where are the screenies of your beautiful city? And whom did you pay off to winn it so quickly?

Thanks for all of the effort Hieronymus, I'm going to download this right now!

:eek:

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:38 am

marcus_uproarius wrote:...
wow he couldn't be much uglier could he? Where are the screenies of your beautiful city? And whom did you pay off to winn it so quickly?

That's John Hurt as Caligula in the 1976 BBC production of "I Claudius".
Low on sets, crowds, computer effects, but high on acting. Best Roman drama I've ever seen. On DVD.
You should see what he did to his sister.... (Don't go in there Claudius. :eek: )

BTW all my gifts are intact.

MarkDuffy

Postby MarkDuffy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:00 pm

Here's Mah Pretty™ Patavium at Win Screen... :)

Estavius Maximus

Postby Estavius Maximus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:29 am

Those are two very impressive sets of screenshots. Well done, the both of you. I've gotten my first attempt up to 50, but was overcome by events all week. I'll be getting back to it tonight. I hope I can pull it off nearly as well as you both did. Thanks for sharing the views.

alexasrosa

Thanks so much!

Postby alexasrosa » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:09 pm

Thanks so much for this one. I had a blast do it - and this was my first user-created scenario.

I admit I had a rough time in the middle, when the beauty rating went down - no idea why - and the tradding stopped.
I had to make a bit of overkill in what services where concerned - and a LOT of Temples. And I had 3 millitary camps, just training over and over and over again.

I'm hooked now. I'm downloading MORE..... !!!! :D

Dalan

Postby Dalan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Very nice. Lots of fun.

Maggie

Not Sure I Understand Beauty Rating

Postby Maggie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Dear Fellow Beauticians:

First, is there any way to actually tell what my Beauty Rating is? If so, could you please explain how.

Next, I don't have the Obelisk available (it's grayed out) in my game. Do I need it in order to win? And if so, please explain how to get the Obelisk to be active in my game.

Next, I earned enough money to open one of the last trade routes on my own (to get those lovely exotic goods to evolve my villas). After a while, I noticed that Caligula stopped making requests. Is this a consequence of my opening the trade route myself? (If so, you are a devilish, devious citybuilder!)

Many thanks! Oh -- I noticed in the screen shots that some folks had placed walls all round the city. It's only necessary for your bridges to the large hexagonal island to be protected (on the island side): Place a gatehouse on the road to the bridge, and from it build short walls to reach the water's edge. Saves a lot of space.

Maggie

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Hi Maggie!

Maggie wrote:First, is there any way to actually tell what my Beauty Rating is? If so, could you please explain how.

The only way to tell what the rating is is to look out for the messages that appear at the top of the screen. These appear every month, or every two weeks if the rating has changed.

Maggie wrote:Next, I don't have the Obelisk available (it's grayed out) in my game. Do I need it in order to win? And if so, please explain how to get the Obelisk to be active in my game.

Shh! Don't tell anyone but the obelisk unlocks when the beauty rating reaches 70, so long as the Aegyptus trade route is open

Maggie wrote:Next, I earned enough money to open one of the last trade routes on my own (to get those lovely exotic goods to evolve my villas). After a while, I noticed that Caligula stopped making requests. Is this a consequence of my opening the trade route myself? (If so, you are a devilish, devious citybuilder!)

Hahaha! Unfortunately not - that's just coincidence!

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Hieronymus wrote:The only way to tell what the rating is is to look out for the messages that appear at the top of the screen. These appear every month, or every two weeks if the rating has changed.

Well, I did finally win... but the above never happened! There was never a message at the top of the screen to inform me of my beauty rating. I stared at the top of the screen for months at a time with nothing.

Is there some setting I might have missed? Not all of my announcements are set to pause the game... should I turn them all on?

Also, once I won Ex Decorum Veritas, I moved to your next one in Gades (forget the scenario name) and Caesar's FIRST request is: FOUNTAIN WATER! Huh? I have bottles, I have fountains near the bottles, I have fountains and warehouses of bottles near the glass factories. My warehouses, of course, won't hold "fountain water." I know your cities are tricky... but... but... but.... c'mon... you gotta give me a hint here!

Maggs

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:36 pm

Do you have the "disable in-game warnings" box checked? If so you need to uncheck it. I'm amazed you managed to win without the beauty rating messages! :)

And as for the fountain water demand... well, Caligula is mad you know... If you do find a way to meet it I'd love to hear it! :D But some demands are best ignored ;)

Return to “User-created Scenarios”