The Dark Pool

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

The Dark Pool

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:11 pm

This is the third scenario in the Beauty Rating series, which set in Lindum in Britannia, AD69 (for the probable meaning of the name "Lindum", see http://www.roman-britain.org/places/lindum.htm). The scenario has a military focus, with some conquests needed for victory - and many surprises along the way.

My personal thanks go to aramann, who has been my tester pretty much from day 1 of the scenario development. The mere title of "tester" doesn't do justice to the contribution she has made to this scenario, however. Many of the ideas that have gone into it are hers (especially much of the sub-plot following the story of the mysterious Beauty Advisor), and these have (IMHO) improved the scenario no end - for that, I am immensely grateful. So I've included a tribute to aramann on the map, and another in the script in the form of an "Easter Egg" message that pops up when a particular condition is met...

On with the story. Enjoy!

"You have been appointed governor of Lindum, tasked with building a city that will one day achieve "Colonia" status, a fitting place for retired heroes from the legions. To this end, you must provide for their expected needs by building at least ten grand mansions, with high prosperity and culture.

There is, of course, a catch. Some of the celtic tribes of Britannia don't take too kindly to Roman rule, particularly the Brigantes in the North. As governor of Lindum you will be called on to lend military support to secure trade routes within the province so that your city in turn can be provided with uninterrupted access to the goods it will need. You can also expect periodic visits from these Barbarians, so make sure the city is well defended. The local natives who will live here are an excitable lot too, given to acts of random destruction. A wise governor will seek to address their needs.

The Governor of Britannia gives you two final orders. Firstly, Lindum may only support one coliseum. Secondly, it must be a beautiful city, one that boasts a wide range of impressive buildings, and many different types of decorative item. It just so happens that he has unearthed a fascinating manuscript on the the subject of rating a city's beauty, allegedly written by Caligula himself, and wishes to try it out. He has even appointed a Beauty Advisor to provide regular reports. As you are introduced, you can't help feeling that her face is strangely famliar..."

EDIT: Please be sure to play this scenario with the "Disable in-game warnings" box unchecked - the script uses the "warning" messages to tell you what the city's current beauty rating is. Or, if you like a challenge, don't... :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected link

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:02 pm

I relinked to Lindum datapage, Hieronymus. Your link doesn't seem to work, I think it must be the trailing bracket.

I'd love to try it but can't for a while.

http://www.roman-britain.org/places/lindum.htm

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:39 pm

Thanks Herodotus - link corrected (that'll teach me to post whilst chatting with aramann :p )

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 pm

I'll have a go at this a little bit later, but where do you find the beauty rating? I played the last scenario without having any idea what the beauty rating of the city was. :o :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:06 am

The beauty rating is calculated by the script, based on weightings given to different decorative items and buildings. The only way of finding out what the rating is to key an eye open for the one-line messages that periodically appear at the top of the screen - if the rating is changing, the messages appear every two weeks, otherwise they appear every month.

In this scenario you are told early on (by a message) what the target rating is. Having said that there is a way (which I'm not going to tell you :p ) of winning without reaching the target rating.

Edit: And here's where the beauty rating thing all started: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showpost.php?p=162771&postcount=547

All typos in this post are dedicated to aramann :p
Last edited by Hieronymus on Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:02 pm

ok, you got me. I'm going to try this one.

But I'm telling you: I've got a sneeking feeling you are enjoying way too much the sadistic surprise... :rolleyes:

SimetricalJean

Postby SimetricalJean » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks Aramann an Hieronymous for all your work and effort you put in making this scenario. I just downloaded it, and looking forward to start playing it...

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 pm

alexasrosa wrote:ok, you got me. I'm going to try this one.

But I'm telling you: I've got a sneeking feeling you are enjoying way too much the sadistic surprise... :rolleyes:

Hahahaha!!! I think you just nailed it Alexarosa! Half the fun is imagining players scratching their heads trying to figure out the scenario! Have fun playing, this is definitely in my top three of all time favorite scenarios. I know you'll enjoy it! Hieronymus has outdone himself with some seriously master scripting and a gorgeous and tricky map. A lot of the little "surprises" were just off the wall and fun things that he managed to make happen by a stroke of absolute genius!

Note to benevolent dictator of scenario designing: The SPG AND Lopok struck again! "Key an eye open?" Is that physically possible without great pain? :p :D

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:50 am

aramann wrote:Hahahaha!!! I think you just nailed it Alexarosa! Half the fun is imagining players scratching their heads trying to figure out the scenario!

Humph... I'm doing it right now. Third try and still no good. :eek:

If I get bald it’s both your fault! :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 am

alexasrosa wrote:Humph... I'm doing it right now. Third try and still no good. :eek:

If I get bald it’s both your fault! :D

It's the designer that takes the blame for that, alexarosa! Tester just gets to sit back, watch the fun, and cackle gleefully to herself :D

SimetricalJean

Postby SimetricalJean » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:32 am

Lol, saboteurs, fishprotest,....2 tries yesterday, but what a failure twice :-)
hmmm... :D

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:07 pm

Eensy Teensy bit of advice... sit back, relax, and play with what you've got on your map. You might not get what you want and think you need right away, but pay close attention to messages and such and it'll happen!
And I'll share that blame for bald spots. Designer took some of my more evil ideas and actually USED them! What was he thinking???

H - if I've given too much away, let me know and I'll delete!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Hahaha! great minds think alike and fools seldom differ...

What you said looks fine to me aramann! :)

SimetricalJean

Postby SimetricalJean » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:07 pm

Eensy Teensy bit of advice... sit back, relax, and play with what you've got on your map.

lols, im so relaxed when playing this particular scenario... :rolleyes: Thanks for the great advice Aramann, playing around with what I havent got on the map, is very difficult indeed... :D

alexasrosa

Invinctus !!

Postby alexasrosa » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Victory is mine! No crazy beauty advisor will defeat me! :D

Congrats you two. I had a blast with this scenario – although I have to admit I might have called you some not very nice names once in a while.
And some bald spots, but they will grow back. :cool:

Now, I have some “technical” comments, that I don’t know are bugs or not, but I don’t want to spoil anything, or give any hints on what happens, so please let me know where I can send them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aramann

Postby aramann » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:56 pm

CONGRATS Alexarosa!!!
I am SO glad you had fun with this. It was great fun testing for the mad designer! HAlf the fun for both tester and designer is usually KNOWING that players will call us/him really bad names at least a few times during the game. That way we know it's successful!
PM Hieronymus or even myself with technical questions, although the great Hiero will have more knowledge. Congrats on your win! Great job! :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:02 pm

Brilliant job alexarosa!!! PM me anytime, or us both if you like with any questions you have.

So you found out who the beauty advisor is, but did you discover anything about Lindum's goddess? (If you did, please keep it to yourself ;) )

It was great fun designing for the mad tester :p

Dalan

Postby Dalan » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:27 am

A Great Scenario! Lots of action and things to do. Try it, you will like it!

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:24 am

LOL Well, I guess I'm not much of a general. I'm about ready to give up on this one. I was playing and realized I'd spent the last three hours moving military units up to, over and away from bridges. I'm fighting, but not city building. Then, as I was micromanaging a legion mop up of straggling gauls (what are they doing in Britannia), I clicked wrong and the game crashed. Argh! :(

I think I need to scrap my work so far (2 days worth) and start again now that I know vaguely what's going to happen. But right now that seems like a lot of work. :p

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:05 am

LOL, looks like further confirmation that we need aramann's military tutorial scenario (which she is kindly letting me script for her ;) ) Just as an indication of the size of that particular beast, aramann asked me yesterday whether there was a limit on the number of "tutorial-style" messages that can be displayed (as seen in Arretium et al, and also 12 days). After a bit of labbing I confirmed that it could cope with 60 at least - which I think will be enough for this one :eek: :D

Return to “User-created Scenarios”