The Dark Pool

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Victory, finally! I restarted and found it much easier going this time. One less bridge to cross and this time the military was much easier to deal with. I didn't have to personally ferry them across the bridges. One did kind of get stuck for a while and I had to guide it back. It was never the same after that, but I had so many others it didn't matter.

I'm finding the military works best when you just place them and let them fight on their own. As they always say, "Just show me where they're at." It's actually interesting just to sit back and watch them make formations, line up two deep light infantries with archers behind, and then watch one group charge while the other holds the line.

1. The view from the opening camera position later in the scenario. ;)
  2. The dark pool itself.
  3. The sun rises over Lindum.
  4. Forum, temples and mansions with a little greenery throw in. Not to mention the plebes.
  5. Lindum has a wide variety of theatres for the culture loving public.
  6. The citizens really love chariots and charioteers. Statues everywhere.
  7. Rome's influence stretches almost as far as the eye can see.
  8. Jupiter's temple is the tallest, just as it should be.
  9. 14 long years (and change) for victory.

One final question, and I hope I start this at the right word. What does this mean: Ago tibi ally gratias? Something free I know, but the rest is all Greek to me. :p :p
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:14 pm

Congratulations Jimaaten! We knew you could do it :D

Jimaaten wrote:One final question, and I hope I start this at the right word. What does this mean: Ago tibi ally gratias? Something free I know, but the rest is all Greek to me. :p :p

HAHAHA! Probably very bad Latin on my part but it reads "Gratias Ago Tibi Ally" - which (I claim anyway) means "Thank You Ally". ;) And which may or may not have been put there by the natives to honor their goddess of baking :p

Is there time to give a plug for Arabian Bizarre?

aramann

Postby aramann » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:49 pm

Great job and beautiful city Jimaaten! Very well laid out. I'm so glad you liked the scenario, a lot of fun was put into making it and knowing that people are enjoying it gives me warm fuzzies all over! Congratulations!

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:30 am

Hi Hieronymus,

I'm sure I'm the only one that hasn't figured this out yet, or maybe I have a glitch somewhere. Why don't my troups return if they win the battle? I keep ending up short of defenses when I need them.

I've restarted at least 4 times and can't get my troups back. If they lose the battle they show up again, but not if they win.

If it will give away too much you can e-mail me at jahzoo@shaw.ca

I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me if that is the way it works or I've got a corrupt file or something.

Thanks,
jahzoo

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:10 am

Hi Jahzoo,

The short answer (I'm afraid) is that I don't know the reason for this, except to suggest it is another C4 glitch/bug. I have heard one other player of The Dark Pool encounter this problem, and also another player reported it in Colonia Agripinna in this thread on HG. I don't know if that describes your situation (are you sending your troops before that final message?)

The only other thing I can think of (since you are seeing the problem repeatedly) is to ask whether, when you send the troops out, they are taking a long time to leave the map? If so you might like to try deploying them first and positioning your troops close to their exit point before sending them. But this is just speculation on my part.

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:55 am

Hi Hieronymus,

I usually wait until the last chance to send troops so I can build them up and train them as much as possible. They don't seem to have any problem leaving, they just don't come back. If I click on the forts I get the "fighting a foreign battle" message.

This only seems to happen if I have a Good or Exellent chance of winning the battle. I think if I win the battle my troups get stuck somewhere on the way home....If I lose the battle they always return.

Jahzoo

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:23 pm

Troops can sometimes take forever to return. If you have noticed new recruits going to fill up the spots of soldiers in those forts you have sent then chances are your troops are indeed stuck. This usually (actually rarely, but...) DOES only happen if you almost literally wait until the last minute to send them out.
Try forcing a Mars bene instead of spending too much time training, better yet, try our military tutorial!

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:34 am

Hi aramann,

Forts always show as "fighting a battle" and no new troups show up.

I did try sending earlier and even tho lost all battles my troups came back. Most times with 0 survival, but then could recruit new troups.

I am working on a new stratagy. I'll see if I can get things to work. So far got my 'Favour' down to zero and things didn't work out so well....Try, try again....LOL

Jahzoo

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:35 am

Good luck Jahzoo, I know you can win this scenario! If theres any specific help you need PM either myself or Hieronymus.

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:28 am

Hi Aramann.

I've finally paid attention to the hints you've given about being patient and dealing with what you have available. Also started saving before I made any change. Still not getting very far. Farther than before, but still end up with Rome stomping on me :eek:

I'm not the type that gives up, especially when I know someone else did it! So still working on it.

May have to restart from before I took this snapshot, but it's pretty ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:37 pm

PM me or Hieronymus Jahzoo, we can help you with anything you seem to be getting stuck with if you would like.
Gorgeous city, thanks for the screenie :)
You will succeed! I promise! This is definitely on my top three or four of all time favorite scenarios. The other ones being Arabian Bizarre and twelve days that I had the great honor of working with Hieronymus on/with.
Can we move a discussion like this to the user created scenario it deals with?
Last edited by aramann on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:43 pm

It's true to say that the Dark Pool is the most difficult of all the scenarios I've done Jahzoo! It's certainly no mean feat to complete it :)

"aramann" wrote:This is definitely on my top three or four of all time favorite scenarios. The other ones being Arabian Bizarre and twelve days that I had the great honor of working with Hieronymus on/with.

Of the one's I have done, this one and Arabian Bizarre are definitely my favorites... Possibly because that have that rare ingredient of Magic Daggy Dust sprinkled on them by the inimitable aramann :D

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:23 am

Just so you know I've had to start dying my hair back to it's real colour. The white was getting too noticable! At least I've never been one to pull out my hair or I would be to bald to dye anything!

aramann

Postby aramann » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Ya know... we keep hearing this about people pulling hair out over this and a few others Hieronymus and I have collaborated on... Hmmm... must be something we're doing! :rolleyes:
Just wait till you try Arabian Bizarre! Ooh - and 12 days! :) ;)

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:12 am

You must be doing something right to keep us working at it even when our hair is getting thinner, or whiter, by the hour ;)

Keep it up. I'm sure we can continue even after we all go bald. And it is nice to have a challenge :eek:

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 am

OK - I think I've finally figured it out how not to have Rome stomp on me. I guess I'm a slower learner than I thought.

Got my Favour up to 100, but still have low 'Beauty' and security ratings - security mostly because I still have crimes.

I still have to figure out how to get the Patrician homes to become available - or do they?

Hoping to beat this one soon :D

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:32 pm

"Jahzoo" wrote:I still have to figure out how to get the Patrician homes to become available - or do they?
It's been a while since I played this one, but they definitely become available. (See my screenshots in the post above.)

Try getting your beauty rating up and, if I remember correctly, you might try building a house for yourself. Hiero usually likes to give hints in messages, so you might check back at your message log to see. :)

Hope some of this helped. :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Jimaaten remembers correctly (almost). Make sure you have temples to Mars and Mercury, and that security and beauty are both 24 or higher as well. :)

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:02 am

Doing well execpt that I can't build temples. Every time I try they get torched immediately. I don't want to give it all away so won't say what I've tried that didn't work anyway.

I WILL figure this out. Hopefully before I go completely white - or bald :eek:

Jahzoo

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 am

That's because the people of Lindum favour two gods above all others, and you need to build temples to them first. There's even a hint as to which gods they might be in the link made in the original post, and, um, even in my previous post ;)

Return to “User-created Scenarios”