Twelve Days

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

Twelve Days

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:58 pm

Herewith a seasonal gift from Hieronymus and Aramann to the C4 community - a "fun" scenario that is very loosely based on the traditional carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas", and is (for us) comparatively free of evil elements...

The original idea was aramann's, and we co-wrote the plot. I did all the hard work (converting the plot to an actual scenario) and aramann had all the fun testing it (it says here).

My personal thanks again go to aramann for coming up with the original suggestion to do this one, for all her many other suggestions along the way, for testing (of course), and - most of all - for making the whole process of creating this scenario so much fun! We hope you have as much fun playing as we had making it!

On with the story:

"The mad Emperor Domitian has appointed you as governor of Eboracum, which has been unseasonably cold for some time. Caesar has decided that you must bring some seasonal joy to the place, and has even promised to grant its citizens a year long holiday, courtesy of Rome.

There is, of course, a condition attached to this promise. Before the holiday can be granted you and your citizens must perform twelve tasks assigned at the whim of Caesar, one to be performed each year. Fail in any task and your citizens' holiday - and very probably your life too - will be cancelled.

There is a further complication in all of this, in the shape of one Seutonius Paulinus Grinch, rumored to be the illegitimate son of Julia Drusilla, daughter of Caligula. He very much desired this posting you now have - but, having widely gained a reputation for being a pompous ass, humorless as a chicken, he has now been appointed Inspector of Cities by the Governor of Britannia. Seutonius Paulinus Grinch promises to take a very close interest in how your city is doing, and you may expect him to delight in offering you many "helpful" suggestions (and obstacles) along the way."

A final note: all files in the attachment should be copied into the Caesar IV\Data\Scenarios folder, with the exception of partridge.mp3 and frenchhens.mp3, which should go into the Caesar IV\Data\Audio\Voice\Tutorials folder. There is also optional sound file available on Caesar IV Heaven for those of you who wish to enjoy the full experience.

EDIT: Thanks to Tinkerbell for reporting a minor bug encountered during year 6, resulting in a confusing "tip". Zip file has been updated. If you have downloaded already, you just need to download Twelve Days CS.zip and overwrite the existing Twelve Days.cs file. Mea culpa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated CS file (minor messaging bug)

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:42 am

Got my first laugh just cruising the neighborhood. :D

No shortage of timber in this scenario. :eek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kach

Postby kach » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:26 am

I know any scenario by Hieronymus is good, but a five star rating and the scenario has been available for less than twelve hours?

Confess, whoever you are, you haven't really finished this one yet, have you? :eek:

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:34 pm

<raises hand>
OF COURSE I've played it! Over and over and over and over...
Can't help giving kudos to an amazing master scripter! :D
And I love trying to make him blush!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:17 pm

And very good you are at it too aramann :o

Here's the first of many hints to come - first for Year 1:

Just some key words in the messages: "trade", "partridge", "pear tree" and "SPELL"...

If this doesn't mean anything, try looking at the Empire Map ;)

P.S. The sheep farm is intentionally disabled at the start. Sheep pastures would be too if TM would let me do it...
Last edited by Hieronymus on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spidus
Location: market lavington/onnile osirisnehk cites antinoopolis /karanis

Postby spidus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:05 pm

I think the christmas tree is whoth three stars. espeshry like stonehench at the top of the tree nice and pagen :D and if it is like the uthers i played the game is whoth at leased three stars be for playing :eek: :D .cant wait to start it but have to get parst the inferno the acours after an hour of playing polchritudo vincit bueaty rating be for the fire was 92. keep up the good work Hieronymus and Aramann. more aproput name whode be twelve days of saturnalia. :)
Last edited by spidus on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maggie

Stumped in Year Three

Postby Maggie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:28 pm

Hieronymus and aramann:

I finally finished (after about a half dozen false starts -- I kept having to shrink my initial city size in order to have enough money to grow my army) your wicked Dark Pool.

Now, in Twelve Days, I am stumped on the Cosmetics request. Every trade route that CAN be opened IS opened. I have "listened" (in or order to "hear") every damn one of my traders (thinking that, I dunno, maybe you rigged a vocal clue somehow). I don't get what you mean by signs. And if the traders aren't talking, what the HECK am I supposed to hear?

Your frustrated Maggie

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 pm

Not all trade routes that CAN be opened are actually visible on the Empire Map... Unless you toggle map labels on and off that is... then there is a clue. But if a trade route is open there is always a way to find out...

Maggie

Postby Maggie » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:59 pm

Hieronymus wrote:Not all trade routes that CAN be opened are actually visible on the Empire Map... Unless you toggle map labels on and off that is... then there is a clue. But if a trade route is open there is always a way to find out...

Hahahaha! I saw your three "French Hens." I never knew you could see hidden trade routes! That is very cool.

But none of them (or the CCC's) are available to trade, and my trade advisor keeps saying, "Our city is enjoying the fruit of as much trade as possible."

It's really embarassing to be so dumb.

Your Maggs

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:32 am

Keep on checking... ;) You may just be trying at the wrong time... I doubt if the advisor is much help here though.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:36 am

<snot laugh>

I thought I had dodged a bullet in year three, when my treasury suddenly went to about -2000. Hit the pause key ~ FAST! :D Somehow I had accidently turned on importing honey (12@150=1800) :D Overcame that...

I wuz sooo close to making it through year four. :eek:

<where-o-where are those autosaves>

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:04 pm

Just to alert anyone who's downloaded this scenario - I've had to correct something in the CS file that was leading to a confusing "tip" being delivered during year 6. Thanks to Tinkerbell for pointing this out.

If you have already downloaded the scenario, you just need to download the updated "Twelve Days.cs" file and overwrite the existing file.

Apologies to all - Designer always takes full responsibility for any bugs :D

EDIT -and I have documentary proof it was my fault too :o
Last edited by Hieronymus on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:35 pm

No no no, you don't get ALL the credit for an Oops there Hieronymus! Tester should have noted that again on one of the many play throughs! ;)
Year 6 is perhaps a bit easier than other years though. I hope everyone is having fun with this!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:41 pm

aramann wrote:No no no, you don't get ALL the credit for an Oops there Hieronymus!

OK, you can claim 10% of the credit, aramann - if you were a co-designer I'd obviously give you more :p

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:00 pm

aramann wrote:Year 6 is perhaps a bit easier than other years though. !

:eek: :p ;) :D

It is !?!?! I've already lost once & it is June of year 6. You would be amazed at all the crazy stuff I tried that didn't work.

Will dl the new HUGE? .cs & kick myself in the <censored> when I finally figure it out <prays for divine intervention> .

Definitely loving it, Hieronymus! :D

EDIT: D'oh ~ 9.2 Kb, not mb. No wonder I am having trouble with the puzzles! :o :D
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:07 pm

Tinkerbell wrote: :eek: :p ;) :D

It is !?!?! I've already lost once & it is June of year 6.

Year 10 is the worst. And Year 12 - that's the worst too. :eek:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:39 pm

Oh sure, Hieronymus... :rolleyes: ;)

Downloaded & patched. Once again, I wuz sooo close even w/o the correct clue <figures>. On to year 7! :D

Cartpusher

First!!!!!

Postby Cartpusher » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:28 am

Did year ten in one try, barely. Took two tries and a lot of bean counting to do year twelve.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:54 am

Congratulations Cartpusher on being the first to finish!!! :D

Now a question for any mathematically-inclined people out there - what is the significance of the amount of different goods you can import and export?

Talking of Year 10 gives me an opportunity to make aramann blush that is just too good to miss :p

You see, the first time I played this through I really struggled with Year 10. Got fired. Then I played again and REALLY prepared for Year 10. Still got fired. Even cheated and changed the script to give me more time... STILL got fired. So I went back to aramann and said "I really struggled with this year - I think I need to make it a bit easier". And she replied "Oh, did you? I had no problem - finished in September I think." Well, put me in my place, I can tell you. :eek: :D

Boy will I suffer for that... Only kidding, aramann... honest!
Last edited by Hieronymus on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:52 pm

I wondered about the odd numbers. :confused: I figured there must be a significance, but you had me busy with other stuff, so I didn't have time to watch for patterns there. By the way, Seutonius' name change and few pieces of rusty armor won't make up for what he did. :mad: He is still persona non grata in Eboracum.

Let's see, 1 obelisk, 2 statues, 31 cosmetics, 41 something, 51 jewelry. I remember some of the trade city quantities...19, 17, 37...

Without going back into the scenario to verify it, I'm going to say that you used all prime numbers. Except for the first year...1 isn't a prime...oh, and four forums in year four... 4 isn't a prime, either...maybe it isn't primes, after all. :o

Edit: I just reread your question and see that it was only about trade quantities and not the annual assignments. I'll stay with the prime number guess.
Last edited by Cartpusher on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”