Twelve Days

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 pm

YAY Cartpusher! Not only are you the first to finish but you got the prime numbers as well! (Not EVERYTHING could be prime, for obvious reasons, that would have made this a very strange scenario indeed, even more so than it is!) The prime numbers thing was just something fun we pulled out of our :eek: !
Congratulations! I hope you had as much fun playing as we had making it!
I'm not sure that I even had a strategy for years 10 or 12 while testing. I (of course) knew it was coming and planned accordingly as soon as the resources to do so were available. There was perhaps only one small trick I can think of, and it's not even really a trick at all. But I'll wait until the masses start yelling about it to tell. :D

I'll get you for that Hieronymus! You're fair game now! <evil laugh>

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 pm

There was something else in the maths and the numbers of goods exported and imported as well... connected with the carol. But it is pretty obscure :)

Fair game eh? When has that stopped you, aramann... :p

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:07 pm

OK, probably time for another couple of hints. If you don't want to know, look away now :)

Year Two

Actually, there is really not much to say about this one. It's just a question of making sure you have enough denarii to spend on, well, whatever you need to spend it on. ;)

Year Three

A more tricky one this. You have to acquire a certain amount of a resource that you cannot produce, and which the Empire Map tells you that you cannot import. So what gives? Here you may learn that the Empire Map may sometimes be economical with the truth, and toggling the map labels off and on may be a clue to this. So... if there are routes available, they must be hidden. And logically they must be available at some time during the year. The puzzle then becomes a) when will they be available? b) when they are available, how can you tell? Hidden trade routes can only open as and when the scenario designer decides. If they ARE open then if you go to the Storage button you will see three trade ports that can be placed.

Aramann may be along in a day or two's time with a clue for Year Four... :D
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added hidden hint for Year Three

alexasrosa

Uhmph...

Postby alexasrosa » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:55 pm

Ok. First of all I lost the Big Opening. “Real Life” had to come and spoil the fun. :mad:

Than… I hit a wall. I’ve got no clue what a partridge is (looked out in the dictionary. A bird…uhm) and a pear tree is…a tree that gives …pears (fruit?) :confused:

H…I know about your sadistic streak – no good hidden behind araman and pointing fingers ;) – but please… do remember that not all of us come from English speaking countries and those clues… are they clues?
I tried looking at the empire map toggling the labels but all I got was a jumble of names, including Win and Defeat.

I guess what I’m looking for is a real clue on the logic behind (I don’t even go into numbers, prime or not) like there was a logic behind Temples=unlocking stuff.

Pretty please….?

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi alexasrosa!

What year are you stuck in? For year one, you don't have to know what a partridge is or a pear tree... But the letters that make up the the words may be significant... Feel free to PM me if you like. :)

The stuff with the numbers is just there for fun - it has no bearing on how to win the game.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:16 pm

I think I'm 'in the same boat' with you alexasrosa (meaning we share a problem here). I've already downloaded this one, not yet played it, but what was said reminds me when I was playing Gabriel Knight 3. One of the clues there was said to be 'a red herring'. As you can imagine I spent quite a while looking for a red fish! :o

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:20 pm

alexasrosa wrote:H…I know about your sadistic streak – no good hidden behind araman and pointing fingers ;) – but please… do remember that not all of us come from English speaking countries and those clues… are they clues?
I tried looking at the empire map toggling the labels but all I got was a jumble of names, including Win and Defeat.

I guess what I’m looking for is a real clue on the logic behind (I don’t even go into numbers, prime or not) like there was a logic behind Temples=unlocking stuff.

Pretty please….?

There IS a logic there... granted it's a very twisted logic (what did you expect from us?) but there IS some there! Actually, the tutorial box gives quite a broad enough hint.. "where oh where is the trade route that will tell me how to place obelisks?" Since it's the very first year, and a player is dependent on trade to complete this... what would it make sense to do? Might as well try everything while you're working it out!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:23 pm

aramann's quite right... I'm not sure that ANYONE has worked out what the clues really mean for year 1 (based on what I've seen posted here and in PMs) - but other players have managed to meet the requirements nonetheless.

If it's any consolation, Year 1 is probably the most obscure...

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:22 pm

And here's a more explicit clue for year 1 (just highlight the text below to read it).

The clues are in the words "PARTRIDGE" and also "PEAR TREE". If you look carefully at the Empire Map you'll see that the letters that make up those words also correspond to the first letters of the trade routes you can open. Such as Portus (Dubris), Aegyptus, Raetia, Tarraconnensis and so on.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Clues for years one and two! :eek:

I definitely had no clue whatsoever but I did those years perfectly. But it is not funny really since I was desperate since I didn't know what to do. I was supposed to fulfill orders but nothing was ordered or requested. Pure coincidence I did that, or should I say they were the two most cheap trade routes to open. Not amused, getting frustrated.

How where you supposed to know about those clues??? And while I'm looking for cosmetics right now I wonder what 'fun' clue is it for year three? :confused:

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:06 pm

Of the twelve tasks, I think Years 1 and 3 are probably the most difficult to work out what to do. The others are more explicit, if not necessarily easier. Year 6 does have a relatively obscure clue at the start, but the tip that appears gives a fairly big hint as to what to do. But all years require you to either build something or meet a particular request from Caesar.

Aramann and I agreed that we would post hints here every now and then about each of the years for those who were having problems with the (sometimes) twisted logic, but without saying precisely what needs to be done. But please feel free to PM me if you think we're being too obscure. :)

A final note - please be sure to play this scenario with the "Disable in-game warnings" box unchecked - the script uses the "warning" messages to give periodic hints about what you need to be doing.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:26 pm

Still no clue where I was supposed to find cosmetics in year three. All trade routes where open, I toggled back and forth the world map and the trade partners boxes, but never find anything 'hidden' anywhere. I must be such a dummy!
So came year four, Caesar sent a message "you failed" but here I am in year 5 now, making something that is perfectly clear, finally.

Feeling very dumb anyway for what was happening in the previous years. :o :(

aramann

Postby aramann » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:00 am

No Kiya, it WILL make sense!
As Hieronymus posted earlier... Toggle the map while in the world view. There's a button for doing that. It will be QUITE obvious from there on. Keep HEN in mind. (Three french hens!)Also keep an eye on the weather forcast! ;)
(although we ARE devious!)

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:16 am

aramann wrote:No Kiya, it WILL make sense!
As Hieronymus posted earlier... Toggle the map while in the world view. There's a button for doing that. It will be QUITE obvious from there on. Keep HEN in mind. (Three french hens!)Also keep an eye on the weather forcast! ;)
(although we ARE devious!)

Three hens??? Why french, is that a clue? There is nothing in France, and what weather forcast??? Should I still worry about cosmetics and hens? As I never found them, will I find myself headless in the end, when year 12 comes? I'm in year 6 now, dealing with olives but it's looking good right now. :confused:

i assure you I WAS toggling all I could, but obviously I'm a Big Dummy! :o :( :( :(

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:43 am

You'll need cosmetics later. If you haven't found the source of cosmetics and opened those trade routes, you will not be able to finish year ten.

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:58 am

Cartpusher wrote:You'll need cosmetics later. If you haven't found the source of cosmetics and opened those trade routes, you will not be able to finish year ten.

I didn't find them in year three, so that's that then. I guess no use continuing this one, sorry but I'm moving on. This was too frustrating for me just now, I want enjoy and relax, not this. :(

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:10 am

Thank you sooo much for your Excellent scenario Hieronymus & also to Aramann for helping you out! :)

Only the two losses that I told you about, where I reloaded saves from a bit earlier in those years.

I sure am glad that I only played a few hours each night over the four-day period. I doubt my heart could have taken it in one session. We definitely don't wanna post screenies yet. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:25 am

Glad you enjoyed it Tinkerbell! :D

For anyone not familiar with the carol Twelve Days of Christmas this page may help. :) If you scroll down the page you may also see reference to a mathematical puzzle which is what I may have been alluding to in an earlier post ;)

Regarding cosmetics... cosmetics are required to meet Caesar's request in year 3. If you don't then you should get the Defeat screen at the end of year 3. Though if somehow you made it through, the routes do become available in Year 10. In year 3, the routes do open and close of their own accord throughout the year... So, if a trade route is open and you want to import, what is the first thing you must do?
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:28 pm

Year 6 compleated by September :D
Sooooo proud of myself!!!!!

But that story about prime numbers is starting to bug me... demands are getting quite big and by the end they will be HUGE

So far I've called quite a lot of "beautiful" names to you two. And no hidden behind one or the other. You two are the worst sadistic game designers EVER ! :eek:
Even the %&## mines are hidden!

Hey H...I know you come from a cold country...but snow in August??? Shouldn't this be in the North Pole??? ;)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:55 pm

That's brilliant alexasrosa! You're dead right about the demands getting greater though. ;) Though actually years 7 and 8 are not too bad... and neither is year 9. In fact I think all three are easier than year 6! Year 10 though... THEN you can start panicking :D :p Year 11 HAS been done in January though... which gives you lots of time to worry about Year 12...

OK, I'll admit responsibility - hiding the mines was my idea. And though aramann IS full of evil suggestions, well, I need little encouragement there (as you've gathered) :o

I hear at the moment that it's colder in Ohio ;) Right here it's just... wet. :rolleyes:
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”