Twelve Days

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
aramann

Postby aramann » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:52 pm

I'm glad you made it through year 3 Alexasrosa! (and years 4, 5 and now 6!)
Since I played this over and over (and over and over) I was well prepared for most years. I would suggest being ready for years 10 and 12 well ahead of time. Preparation makes year 10 fairly simple although one would stay busy. Same with year 12.
Hieronymus and I make an evil team. We both feed off the other's insane suggestions, as you've gathered. Once again, though, call us what you like! It means we've done yet another great job! Just wait until the next one! <evil laugh>

It's cold, wet, sleety, rainy, snowy, etc. in my corner of the world. I REALLY hate winter! I'd be happier closer to the equator! Palm trees, warm ocean breezes, year round swimming and snorkling and that ever present lovely mango daquiri... Sigh. A girl can dream!

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:03 pm

Ok, who did the evil deed & rated this scenario a ZERO?

Please, that was uncalled for...

I gave the second 5 stars & now it is at 4.

:p

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:08 pm

aramann wrote:
Hieronymus and I make an evil team. We both feed off the other's insane suggestions, as you've gathered. Once again, though, call us what you like! It means we've done yet another great job! Just wait until the next one! <evil laugh>

It's cold, wet, sleety, rainy, snowy, etc. in my corner of the world. I REALLY hate winter! I'd be happier closer to the equator! Palm trees, warm ocean breezes, year round swimming and snorkling and that ever present lovely mango daquiri... Sigh. A girl can dream!

So what kind of evil designer would therefore make it snow on aramann's birthday... in Arabia of all places ("the next one")??? :eek:

Mind you, I wouldn't recommend snorkling in the pool in that city, aramann :p
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:58 am

Giving 0 stars- I swear it wasn't me, but I could easily have done so during the first year.

The first year task, and the clues given are VERY cryptic. I managed to get by, but still do not know how. I think it was by brute force.

If one person can give a thread five stars twice it appears the thread rating system is not worth the bandwidth it consumes.
Last edited by goonsquad on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:23 am

goonsquad wrote:The first year task, and the clues given are VERY cryptic. I managed to get by, but still do not know how. I think it was by brute force.

Ok, since year one has attracted quite a lot of comment, I will divulge a secret about it. IF you happen to solve the clue, all you do is save yourself spending some denarii in Year One... which you will then need to spend anyway in Year Two. Sometimes brute force is the best approach... ;)

alexasrosa

Year 10

Postby alexasrosa » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi
I have a sinking feeling that if you’re not really prepared ahead you don’t make it through year 10.
7 out of 10 by December. If only I had one or two more weeks… shut… there must be a way!
:mad:
‘Course I can go back to square one and start again, knowing already what lies ahead, but that doesn’t seem to be the point.

H…are you sure araman didn’t tell you she made it in September just to spike you? :rolleyes:

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:21 pm

As I mentioned, Year 10 is the trickiest, and it sounds as if you came very close first time. Preparation during year 9 will be enough to do it, especially given what becomes available at the start and completion of that year's task. :)

I don't think aramann spiked me, just shows what a good player with knowledge of what's coming can do...

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:32 pm

Howdy, Goondsquad!

goonsquad wrote:Giving 0 stars- I swear it wasn't me, but I could easily have done so during the first year.

The first year task, and the clues given are VERY cryptic. I managed to get by, but still do not know how. I think it was by brute force.

Brute Force ruuuules!

I never entirely figured out Year One & still haven't. I don't believe that is a reason to rate the scenario low, anyway. My brute force method was what I would usually do, it just forced me to do it earlier. Never had to restart the year.

When I was stuck on year 6, I would also have firgured that out w/o the clue line the next day, anyway. When Hieronymus posted the clue patch, I really kicked myself in the <censored> cuz I was already really close with my first guess. I PMed Hieronymus that I was stuck & was gonna sleep on it. Woke up the next morning to the Patch. No hints given nor wanted.

If you wanna talk more desperate brute force, I should post how I did Year 12. Talk about overkill! :D

If one person can give a thread five stars [I]twice it appears the thread rating system is not worth the bandwidth it consumes.[/i]

Just to clear things up, Aramann admitted to doing the first 5 stars earlier in this thread. I gave the second five stars. When I made my previous post, there were three votes 4.00 average. That makes rating #3 a two stars. Different players.

Besides, that post wuz kind of a joke. This scenario is Tricky & VERY Evil™ at spots. ;) Most of the spots are NOT Evil. The evil spots have been mentioned already ~ 1, 10 & 12.

I will add a hint for everyone that should help with all aspects of the scenario. EXPORT! :)

To me, minimalist players will have much more trouble with this scenario than wild crazy players like me. More is always better!

Hope this helps

EDIT: Someone has added another 5 stars (4 rates = 4.25) ~ Hoot!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Most of the spots are NOT Evil. The evil spots have been mentioned already ~ 1, 10 & 12.

And sometimes the evil is unintended. As was the case with Year One. In retrospect I should have been a little less cryptic with the clues. If I was doing it again I would have capitalised PARTRIDGE and PEAR TREE in the year one intro, and the tip would have said "Caesar asks: Do I have to SPELL out which trade routes to open to find the obelisk?" Ah well, hindsight is such a wonderful thing. :)

Tinkerbell wrote:If you wanna talk more desperate brute force, I should post how I did Year 12. Talk about overkill! :D

You should have seen what Aramann did when she first tested Year 12, when, er, a bug made it unwinnable. Met the resource requirements THREE times over. And then some. :eek: :D

Cartpusher

Postby Cartpusher » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:26 pm

I will claim the other five vote. These user-createds are so much more fun than the canned scenarios.

I really enjoyed this series of puzzles. I came close to asking for help in year one, but then quit trying to solve the puzzle elegantly and just threw everything at the wall to see what would stick. I think I went into debt about 4,000 dinari opening all of the trade routes instead of finding the correct combination of selected routes.

I thought I had year six figured out when I caused a Major Ceres Benevolence. I sat there for the rest of the year waiting for something to happen. No luck. Second try, I was off on a tangent, experimenting with adding bits of flora here and there, hoping to please her, when the corrected clue appeared.

Later, after observing Suetonius' antics for a few years, and having successfully ignored one or two of his "requests", I got surprised. After reading his latest rant, I thought, "He can't know if I do that or not." So, I didn't do it.

Oops. Paid the price for that false assumption. Almost didn't finish that mission because of the delay he caused.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Cartpusher wrote:I will claim the other five vote.

I was gonna guess it was you & post it, Cartpusher. You won first! :D

These user-createds are so much more fun than the canned scenarios.

Absolutely! Hieronymus is a Certified C4 Rock Star! :)

goonsquad

Postby goonsquad » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 pm

I've almost finished. It's a great scenario, apart from the first year and to a lesser degree the final year it is a wonderful idea, almost flawlessly executed.

I know Hieronymus is a true scripting expert, but having worked with Aramann, I can see her influence all over this mission. A tremendous team effort, I would say. In The Final Deception she kept coming up with these ideas that I couldn't fit into the framework, since it was a continuance of earlier missions. Some of them I'd have had trouble scripting as well. Hieronymus knows what can and cannot be done so much better than I do.

Certainly this scenario will become a reference for me in future projects. I pretty much can envisage what routines are being called for each event, but putting it all together- that is a different matter.

The person who marked it down may have been commenting on the rating system itself rather than the scenario, or may not have got past the first year.
Last edited by goonsquad on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks all for your feedback - much appreciated :)

goonsquad wrote:...having worked with Aramann, I can see her influence all over this mission. A tremendous team effort, I would say.

You're spot on there goonsquad - though not all of the evil things that happen in this scenario were necessarily her idea... ;) Her many suggestions have often prompted me into trying out things with scripting that I'd never even thought of doing before.

And I'll take full credit for any flaws too :D

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:10 pm

I can tell you, Suetonius is a major pain…!!!

I finally made it through year 10 – evil…you both are really evil – and I’m looking forward to free time to finish it.
But now I’m going to play it safe. I will save the game with a different name at different steps so I can go back.

A tip to everyone (I don’t think this is a spoiler…) Don’t ever just seat as watch the year going by!

H and Aramann: the name calling (a lot of that) is a credit to your great scenario. I’m loving it!!
And H…call me dense… but that new idea of the clue you should have written… sounds as cryptic as the other one :eek:

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Well done for making it past the evil year!

alexasrosa wrote:I can tell you, Suetonius is a major pain…!!!

I finally made it through year 10 – evil…you both are really evil – and I’m looking forward to free time to finish it.
But now I’m going to play it safe. I will save the game with a different name at different steps so I can go back.

A tip to everyone (I don’t think this is a spoiler…) Don’t ever just seat as watch the year going by!

That's very true of Year 11 - get that done as quickly as possible as there is a VERY important bit of advice in the pop-up message you get on task completion - to set you up for Year 12.

alexasrosa wrote:H and Aramann: the name calling (a lot of that) is a credit to your great scenario. I’m loving it!!
And H…call me dense… but that new idea of the clue you should have written… sounds as cryptic as the other one :eek:

Glad you're enjoying it :D And as for the clue... well I guess I just can't help being cryptic :rolleyes: As with all of these things the answer is obvious, but only when you know it ;) But the trade route names are carefully chosen - that's why (for example) I used "Italia" instead of the usual "Latium".

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:20 pm

goonsquad wrote:I know Hieronymus is a true scripting expert, but having worked with Aramann, I can see her influence all over this mission. A tremendous team effort, I would say. In The Final Deception she kept coming up with these ideas that I couldn't fit into the framework, since it was a continuance of earlier missions. Some of them I'd have had trouble scripting as well. Hieronymus knows what can and cannot be done so much better than I do.

Certainly this scenario will become a reference for me in future projects. I pretty much can envisage what routines are being called for each event, but putting it all together- that is a different matter.

HAHAHA! My "influence"!!! :p :rolleyes:
Don't downplay your skills Goonsquad, I have a good idea of what you're capable of, Aisle of Plenty certainly shows that you too, have powers that lean towards the "evil" side! Although I'm glad this gives you ideas. It gave me ideas too!
SPG was thrown in just to add some fun, we like to watch things go "kablooey" but there has to be a reason for it. That can either be scripted in as part of a storyline or made contingent upon certain events or ratings. I'm SURE that part gave you several ideas.... and you call ME evil!?! :-D

Cartpusher, I'm SO glad you liked this. We had a lot of fun making it!

Alexasrosa, keep with it! I found out (thanks to goonsquad, actually) that persistence above all makes one a much better player than they could ever dream of becoming when starting out with this game. I'm sure you're turning into one heck of a player! Good luck in Aisle of Plenty! Following that will be the great Hieronymus' first contest, and it'll be a doozy! We'll keep you busy!
Thanks everyone for the great feedback, it's really wonderful that this is enjoyed!

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:47 pm

Time for more hints!

Year 6, despite it's confusing obsucrity... what got me through it was thinking and planning ahead, making sure I had taken care of everything that my city needed at that point. Too obscure? PM me. Although I'm fairly sure that everyone has puzzled this out by now!
Years 7 and 8 are fairly straightforward. It's easily done, although you might want to look outside of where you are actually laying out your city if you took the obvious spot in your city start up. Things build up a bit quicker when they are in close proximity to each other.
Year 9 is again fairly easy and self explanatory. Although at this point Old Seutonius Grinch is becoming an annoyance... Even I wanted to shake his little pointed head around!
Year 10 is apparently where things are getting tricky. My advice; since most players have pretty much figured out what is missing from this scenario, it's available suddenly NOW. Use the first 3 months to get EVERYTHING YOU NEED, as much as possible, for this year. Make sure that EVERY PART of the game is ready for the task at hand. Try to keep in mind what is needed for the full evolution of almost any scenario, and focus on having those things in place, before more than half the year is gone. It's also helpful to play on slow the first 3-4 months of this year. If all bases are covered this is perfectly do-able by August or September of year ten, if not before. Use every resource available to you for this year and I can promise you'll come out victorius!
Happy playing everyone! ;)

alexasrosa

Postby alexasrosa » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 pm

AH ! AH !!
Told ya!
I shall NOT be defeated!!
:D

Thanks so very much both of you: I had a great time and I'm looking forward to more. After all, if we wanted to build in peace...we would stick to sandboxes. So... we love being subjected to your evil imagination. :p

Uhm... can you please make a governor, or what the hell that guy his, a little bit less... a pain??? :rolleyes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:57 pm

That's brilliant alexasrosa! Another victory! :D

Yes old SPG is a bit of a pain - mind you he did give me a laugh when his antics in Year 5 resulted in a flying trader!

Wow! You got Year 12 finished quickly didn't you?

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:46 pm

Alexasrosa, our next will likely be a contest and the continuation of the beauty rating "trilogy". We hope to see you on CBC!
However, we DO have a tutorial style scenario in the works, maybe we can get that one out fairly quickly!
Congratulations, SO glad you enjoyed it! Obviously you did a great job figuring out all the puzzles and completing all the tasks, hooray for you! :)

Return to “User-created Scenarios”