Twelve Days

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:30 am

It seemed a little surreal doing this in the middle of June.
Year 1 was the worst. I knew what I had to do but had real trouble with the spelling. Two As on the empire map didn't help and the fact that you used one letter twice. I tried every combination including all of them and nothing would work. In the end it was either give up or look in the CSopedia how to spell it.

Year 10 I missed out on my first run through by about 1 week due to a warehouse setting left unchanged since year 3.

Year 12 I thought we would actually have to fully man the (whatever we have to build) but was relieved to find this not the case. (I labbed it anyway and it took me until about July of year 13)

Difficult to find a screeny without making it a spoiler, but I like the moody moonlight river shot. It's a pity you can't have the combination of the moonlight night sky plus the snow on the buildings - would have made a great combo. (or can you?)

I voted 5 stars, but I think you should have made the year 1 clue less cryptic.

I think Suetonius Paulinus Grinch would be perfectly at home in the European Union.

Why Suetonius though? Wrote most of the plot for "I Claudius"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Herodotus on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:03 am

"Herodotus" wrote:It seemed a little surreal doing this in the middle of June.
Year 1 was the worst. I knew what I had to do but had real trouble with the spelling. Two As on the empire map didn't help and the fact that you used one letter twice. I tried every combination including all of them and nothing would work. In the end it was either give up or look in the CSopedia how to spell it.

Year 10 I missed out on my first run through by about 1 week due to a warehouse setting left unchanged since year 3.

Year 12 I thought we would actually have to fully man the (whatever we have to build) but was relieved to find this not the case. (I labbed it anyway and it took me until about July of year 13)

Difficult to find a screeny without making it a spoiler, but I like the moody moonlight river shot. It's a pity you can't have the combination of the moonlight night sky plus the snow on the buildings - would have made a great combo. (or can you?)

I voted 5 stars, but I think you should have made the year 1 clue less cryptic.

I think Suetonius Paulinus Grinch would be perfectly at home in the European Union.

Why Suetonius though? Wrote most of the plot for "I Claudius"

Glad you liked it Herodotus :D And thanks for the feedback. You're probably right about Year 1 - it seems to have caused a lot more problems than we anticipated. The cryptic nature of the clue probably says more about the strangely warped minds of aramann and I (aka the Axis of Daggy Evil or l'Axe du Mouton Diabolique) than anything else!

Why Seutonius? Well, as you know Seutonius Paulinus was an actual historical character. Aramann wanted a reference to Grinch as the "evil presence" in this scenario, and the initials "SPG" are a sort of private joke between us (makes little sense to us let alone anyone else outside the strange world our minds inhabit :rolleyes :) - so Seutonius Paulinus Grinch seemed obvious to us.

But... you would hardly expect me to pass this opportunity for a plug or two... Seutonius Paulinus (the historical one) DOES have a significant role to play in the forthcoming C4 contest at CBC, Iceni Queen - along with a certain character from Arabian Bizarre. And Seutonius Paulinus Grinch makes a cameo appearance in the Military Tutorial.

spidus
Location: market lavington/onnile osirisnehk cites antinoopolis /karanis

Postby spidus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:57 pm

was't SPG the name of vivan's hamser in the young one's :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Oh gosh you're right spidus - Special Patrol Group :D Perhaps Commodus will have a pet hamster called Seutonius Paulinus Grinch in Antinoopolis?

spidus
Location: market lavington/onnile osirisnehk cites antinoopolis /karanis

Postby spidus » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:38 pm

I rodent pote it parst him capeble of braking obolixs and genraly corsing havok. :D

aramann

Postby aramann » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:39 pm

PET HAMSTER! Scenario DEFINITELY upcoming with a cameo by the hamster! WhooHOO!!!!! Hamster fun!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:07 pm

"Hamster Fun in Antinoopolis"??? You have the most insane ideas sometimes, A. :p No wonder I like you... ;)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:13 pm

"Herodotus" wrote:Year 1 was the worst.

And there was I half-expecting you to follow up with "Year 2, that was the worst as well. Year 3 I didn't like at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline..." ;)

Siti

I give up!

Postby Siti » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:42 pm

I can't even get past the first year :(

I have opened trade to everyone I can see on the map. I have had up to 2000 population and I have the largest governer's mansion. What am I missing?

aramann

Postby aramann » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:01 am

Hiya Siti!
Actually, THANKS SO MUCH for bringing this scenario back up to the forefront.
Hieronymus and I are working on another seasonal offering to be released soon. Again, another carol based scenario.
Wow, this makes me think back. First year. (gosh at this point it can't hurt, right?)
***SPOILER ALERT***
Now the carol is "the twelve days of christmas"
The first stanza of the song is...
a partridge in a pear tree...
Let's go look at the world map.
Letters from the above animal and vegetable mentions and their corresponding trade routes. Hmmmm... ;)
Now this SHOULD allow you to move on to the next bit.
I'll have to load this thing up and report back, there MIGHT be some other requirement that may have been mentioned in either the message log or the tutorial style messages. I'm thinking if so they're basic, but if they're missing it would definitely prevent the scenario from moving on.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR PLAYING!
I'll post back in a day or so when real life lets me actually sit down and load up C4 for a few minutes! :D

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:04 am

Hiya Siti!

The "riddle" in the first year turned out to be more difficult and obscure than we intended. If you can work out the riddle you can make a good guess at the 8 trade routes you need to open. But it can be achieved by "brute force" either, just by opening all of the routes.

Once the routes are open you should find that you are able to build an obelisk. Place one or more obelisks and the task should be finished!

And as my lovely pointy-eared friend has said... we have another seasonal offering this year (a personal favorite of mine in fact), hopefully in around 2 weeks (depending on aramann's insane RL :eek :)

It's called Nos Galan - a tale of bribery, corruption and Christmas presents.

And before that, there will be a little treat for any C4 Beatles fans out there....
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aramann

Postby aramann » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:12 am

Ah yes... the obelisks! <snicker> LOVE those things!
I KNEW there was something in that first task!
:D
Just wait till Nos Galen. It's REALLY a treat! ;)

Siti

Figured it out!

Postby Siti » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:52 pm

I finally figured out the clue last night after reading all of the extra clues given in the forum. I must have missed one of the routes when I tried "brute force" and opened all of them. When that didn't work I thought I needed something else like more people or a decorated gov mansion.

Once I figured out the clue I was done in June then year 2 was a breeze, done in April. On to year 3...

Happy Holidays to all!

Shelley

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:20 am

I downloaded the file, and I tried to open it from the scenarions menu. I got the opening screen with the mission goal are displayed, but when I tried to load the game, it only seem to load for a few seconds, before I got an error message telling me the save game isn't valid.

I've never downloaded a scenario before so I might have done something wrong, but I would really appriciate it if someone could help me.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Hmmm. The most usual cause of that error is when players haven't patched to version 1.2.

If you are sure you have v1.2 Flammehav - have you tried downloading other user created scenarios to see if they work OK? Otherwise you could try deleting the scenario files and downloading again - you have have gotten a corruption in the .scn file.

Flammehav

Postby Flammehav » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 pm

I think I have installed the patch 1.2, but I wasn't sure so I tried installing it again and got a message it couldn't be installed becouse I had already installed something, didn't quite get that part, but I assume it ment I had already installed it). Is there anyway you can see the version you have?

I try deleteing and reinstalling the scenario to see if it works.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 pm

After the intro video, the upper right-hand corner of my US version Main Menu has a 1.2.

knowwhat

No Immigrants

Postby knowwhat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:40 pm

Looks like I am several years behind the curve, but am hoping maybe I will get lucky and another player will see this and take pity on me!

I have seen several other posters comment that they are "dumb" for not figuring out elements of this scenario, but I think I have them all beat! I am a loser right off the bat. I cannot get any immigrants to move in, and no houses show immigrants on the way. I have never encountered such a problem. I have both domi and insulae, but no immigrants.

I do not have the entry point blocked, as a matter of fact the entry point is quite near the housing, no bridge required. However, I installed a bridge just in case.

Just about all my buildings have burned down while waiting for immigrants, and while I was checking on various possible solutions. I have not seen any other posters on tiltedmill.com or heavengames.com with this problem.

Any advice?

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Well I don't know where you got the scenario from, but the links at the top of this thread do not work any more due to various forum changes over the years.

My suggestion is to download the zip from here:
http://caesar4.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=167
(Angrod is Hieronymus) and follow the installation instructions in this thread here.
You need all the files.

Don't waste time building a city at once. Test the map works first by placing a few houses and see if they get filled. If they do, great: Start again and continue normally.

one41

Postby one41 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:39 am

I decided to play Caesar 4 again, and wanted to try some custom maps for the first time. What did I get myself into with this one? Exploring the map to start out, I saw the one path, but thought something was wrong since it didn't have the post in the entry. I looked all ever, found all the goodies under the tree, was really wondering where that iron mine was. And the I resorted to placing a road all the way around the map to find another entry point. Yep, I found it, it was on the bottom island to the left. As long as there's a path from that entry to your houses, people should and will emigrate in to start things off.

And thanks to the last poster for the link to download. Why didn't anyone give spoilers for the whole play? :P

Return to “User-created Scenarios”