Arabian Bizarre

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

Arabian Bizarre

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:13 pm

"You have been ordered to Arabia Petraea by the new Emperor, the decidedly unpleasant Caesar Commodus. He has charged you with building the city of Bostra, which is to be the capital of that province. Trade will be the key to
your success, but therein lies a major problem. Strange and lurid tales have been told of this place - of the mysterious artefacts floating in the pool, and why the land adjacent to it is so fertile - not to mention the unpleasant odor all around. Traders are (not surprisingly) reluctant to come to Bostra. But Commodus has ordered the governors of other provinces to send their traders here, regardless of their fears. Not wishing to directly go against Caesar's wishes, each governor is now busily thinking up excuses as to why they can't trade with you just yet. Commodus expects you, as governor of Bostra, to overcome these obstacles.

The anxiety of your citizens must also be allayed, for such a bizarre land is bound to make them feel a little edgy, and prone to random acts of destruction. Therefore, says Caesar Commodus, you must make your city the most beautiful the Empire has ever seen, for beauty will bring peace of mind to all. He has assigned a special beauty advisor (whom some claim to be a direct descendant of Caligula). Your task is to achieve at least the following: a beauty rating of 90, a population of 6700, 12 grand mansions, favor of 67, a city treasury of 67,000 denarii, and personal savings of 10,000 denarii. Good luck!

Arabian Bizarre was brought to you by the Axis of Daggy Evil (Hieronymus and Aramann).
ImageImage

Note: Aramann would like me to point out that despite the fact she provided lots of lovely suggestions that found their way into this scenario that does NOT make her a co-designer (it says here). Sorry for any confusion that may have been caused.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Problem fixed

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:31 pm

"Hieronymus" wrote:Arabian Bizarre was brought to you by the Axis of Daggy Evil (Hieronymus and Aramann).
ImageImage

Note: Aramann would like me to point out that despite the fact she provided lots of lovely suggestions that found their way into this scenario that does NOT make her a co-designer (it says here). Sorry for any confusion that may have been caused.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks Hiero!
This is one of the most fun scenarios ever. Hope you enjoy it!

Reed

Postby Reed » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:48 pm

"Hieronymus" wrote:Looks like TM don't want us to post C4 scenarios any more as the upload of a 1.7M zip file containing Arabian Bizarre (by no means the largest zip file posted on this thread) failed with an error indicating that the file was too large.

No, that was not intended (the hard limits were reset due to a recent upgrade). Fixed now, thanks for the notice.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks Reed! :D

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:33 am

You are an evil person Hieronymus! I will figure this one out too even if I go bald trying.

Jahzoo the white

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:12 am

Jahzoo, strategy was discussed over at CBC as this was Hiero's first debut contest there. http://www.citybuildingcontests.net
This is definitely one of my all time faves.... things going kablooey, impossible trade routes with cryptic hints, nasty demands... etc. MAke lots of saves and backtrack to find out how and why things happened.
Good luck and happy gaming! Can't wait to see your win screen here too! ;)

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:06 am

Has anyone actually got the win screen on this one?

I did check out CBC and got a hint there, but I'm starting to think that my download was corrupted. I've got my Beauty rating up to 83 and that took all day to get it to go from 82 to 83. It's a good thing I'm on vacation right now...

I don't have any entertainment except Odeums and Theaters available but everyone wants more entertainment. I know that at some point a Circus will show up or I won't be able to open one of the trade routes.

My personal savings and city funds are way above what is required, I do not have a lot of unemployed or open jobs, no crime that I'm aware of and everyone has Education, Religion and Entertainment as far as I can provide.

Should I give up and try a new download? :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:10 pm

I completed the contest version of this, several times. Unfortunately, it was a while ago. Also, I moved recently. I looked through some of my papers to see if I could find my notes on this one, but I couldn't. :confused: :(

Some hints from what I remember. The key to this is unlocking the trade routes. You haven't said whether you have them opened (though I notice you at least don't have the circus one open). So, if you haven't already, save up sand or glass, make the marble requests, meat or troops, temples etc.

I looked at the ratings you have and they seem okay so far. You want to get some of them up though. If I remember you need to hit at least 67 on all of them. Upgrade housing as far as you can at this time.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:52 pm

I can't remember too many details either, but Jimaaten is right. Your Culture and Prosperity haven't reached 67 yet. You've also got a lot of cash, so spend it.

Difficult to say from what you posted what else you need to do right now but make sure you place all the facilities you possibly can and that as many homes a possible are covered. Are you trading the full amount the traders will take?

Unless I'm mistaken You also appear to have built your city using entirely diagonal roads. This makes it a lot harder to build a tight efficient city. I only use diagonal roads if I have to. Apart from anything else it is a real bore fighting against the natural inclination of the building placement mechanism, ie turning all the buildings and getting them to fit neatly.

The beauty rating requires a lot of decoration, maybe more than you think.
Also more high status buildings. Try the best Governor's residence instead of the bog standard one. Temples not shrines.

Refer to this link where Hieronymus gives some answers.
http://www.citybuildingcontests.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1183
Last edited by Herodotus on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:23 am

From looking at Jimaaten's screenies I figure that something is very wrong with my game. He can build straight! I have no choice but to build on the diagonal :confused: .

I figured I was having a glitch of some sort when at various times I either got all the large statues to show red, or just the Winged Charriot to show red and it never stayed up long. This time I managed to get the Horseman and the other one to build, but still no Entertainment except Odeums and Theaters.

I've redownloaded the last patch, deleted Arabian Bizzare and downloaded again. I'll try again and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Jahzoo, it definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your program. Hiero's a master of scripting, but I don't think even he could make only diagonal roads available. :D (Hiero, please don't take this as a challenge. :eek :)

Statues become available as the game progresses. I'm not sure if they are tied in to an increasing beauty rating, population, or some combination of those. Looking at your population and the beauty rating you said you had, I would think they should all be available. (The chariot one might only be available when you get the circus.) The winged chariot can show as red if you don't have marble available to build it. By the end of the scenario, all the service buildings and beautification items are available.

I think Hiero is on vacation right now, so maybe aramann can add some more info. :confused:

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Redownloading stuff seems to have fixed it :D

I now have straight roads, all statues and Arenas available! I'm sure I'll get a win screen soon ;)

aramann

Postby aramann » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:40 pm

The beauty rating is definitely tied into what is available and what becomes available. What is helpful, is that as you achieve a better beauty rating, things (statues, buildings, etc.) become available to help you maintain and increase that rating.
The diagonal thing is a new one. Have NO idea why that would happen.
You can actually pay to open your trade routes just to find out how they open. HOWEVER.... This is a sneaky little thing and the trade routes and their requirements CHANGE for each new game.
Everyone above is right, the key to this is in opening trade routes and getting that beauty rating up. Win screen definitely happens, hang in there Jahzoo, you can do it!

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:39 am

When I tried before I had my Beauty rating up to 83 as well as all but one trade route open and still no large statues or anything other than Odeums and Theaters for entertainment. :(

I did wonder if it was part of the corruption that the trade routes opened in a different order - apparently not :cool:

Since I redownloaded things worked much better :) I did get a bit bored at the end waiting for my personal funds to reach the required amount so went looking around :p

Win screen and some screen shots for you :D

I like the guys fighting in the stands at the chariot races and the twit teasing the lion at the animal trainer guild :eek: I also discovered that you can go inside and look out thru the windows of homes if you are carefull...

aramann

Postby aramann » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:34 pm

Congratulations Jahzoo! I knew you could do it!
Lovely screenies... have you found the monkeys yet? I LOVE those! Ooh - must write that into a scenario somehow...

Jahzoo

Postby Jahzoo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 pm

Monkeys? I didn't see any monkeys. I'll have to go look around some more.

And I apologize to everyone else if I gave Aramaan another nasty idea :eek:

gerhardc

Postby gerhardc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:23 am

Thought i never get this one done...........for some reason this one made me lag sooner as on other ones i had to toggle between normal and slow speed and the fire overlay as from about 5500 population..........and to top all 1 year from completion the fire risk map got " stuck and my hole city went up in flames and i had to go back to an earlier save and kept it on slow lol.........

Btw i saw the monkeys and thought it was quite cute................ Great job designing you two.......whats next lol :D

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 pm

"gerhardc" wrote:...for some reason this one made me lag sooner as on other ones i had to toggle between normal and slow speed and the fire overlay as from about 5500 population...
I have a similar problem with Hiero's scenarios too. I usually end up playing the last few game years on slow speed. :o If they weren't so much fun, it might be a problem.

aramann

Postby aramann » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Probably all the counting of game ticks Jimaaten... Tons of things are scripted in based on time frames.
gerhardc... Labors of Herculaneum will be a CBC contest starting very soon at CBC http://www.citybuildingcontests.net
We are working on something called the Agrilus for general release... and there's a few others in the pipeline. Hang in there! Something will pop up soon!

gerhardc

Postby gerhardc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:49 pm

"Jimaaten" wrote:I have a similar problem with Hiero's scenarios too. I usually end up playing the last few game years on slow speed. :o If they weren't so much fun, it might be a problem.

Yes atleast they are fun.........but i have the same problem on the nrmal c4 scenarios aswell...........i just think my pc hates c4 or c4 hates my pc lol :D
Aramann:.......... Thx i will keep lookin at them

Return to “User-created Scenarios”