Military Tutorial

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

Military Tutorial

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:44 pm

This is a Military Tutorial scenario, designed by Aramann and Hieronymus, mainly aimed at those who have previously shied away from the military side of C4 because it was too tricky or frustrating.

"Caesar has been much concerned that, whilst the Empire is blessed with many governors who know how to build beautiful, cultured and prosperous cities, there are all too few who have equal skills at handling the military. Even those who take up military assignments seem to get out quickly before the bad guys arrive. Some even resort to bribing these barbarians to go away. This situation must stop, says Caesar!

He has therefore sent you to this city to learn all about the military, starting from the basics. You will be guided by his mysterious Military Advisor, known only as Igorus - who has served the Empire well in places such as Carthago, Lindum and Londinium. The marble here is highly prized throughout the Empire, fetching lucrative prices, and the arable land is plentiful. Above all you must seek to defend the honor of its innocent sheep against all-comers! Igorus will show you how. You will learn how to beat off an invasion with just prefects, how to set up traps, and how to use each type of cohort to best effect. As word spreads of the attractions of your city, you can expect to be faced with military challenges of increasing difficulty. You may even attract the unwanted attentions of the rogue Roman commander Seutonius Paulinus Grinch. But under the expert eye of Igorus, you will surely prevail! Good luck!

This scenario was designed by Aramann and Hieronymus (the Axis of Daggy Evil), and tested primarily by the amazing and resourceful Cathy. We are grateful too to Inka for providing us with valuable feedback on the completed article. Any bugs that remain are entirely the fault of Hieronymus, who really should know better."

We welcome any feedback on this tutorial, and we will certainly take on board any suggestions for improvements for a future version. We wish to thank those here on the TM forums who have contributed to discussions on the military side on previous threads, which were certainly very useful to us when making this scenario. We should also stress that the strategies we advise here are those that we found worked for us - but above all you are encouraged to try out your own by replaying any of the invasions you encounter.

We hope you have fun!
Luv from
The Axis of Daggy Evil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added minimap

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Further note to add: you will only get the victory screen once you have survived all the military challenges with a city still intact (the population goal is just a nominal one really - you will very likely need at least double that).

aramann

Postby aramann » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:30 pm

And yet another note, I am currently working on a much more in depth walkthrough for this. All except for that last invasion. (just because I'm part of the axis of daggy evil and where would we insane designers be without the evilness? :D ) This was very much made so that you can play each invasion over and over again if you wish trying out different strategies. My personal goal was to have absolutely minimal losses in each and every battle. I lost 4 whole soldiers in the second to last and only about 10 in the very last. Which of course is a rather nasty little invasion, but oh so much fun by the time you get to it!
Another big thing to note... if you feel that the first part of the tutorial is moving too fast for you, this is designed so that the next step will not happen unless you have done what had been required. So you CAN take your time fiddling with things.
Have fun everyone!

spidus
Location: market lavington/onnile osirisnehk cites antinoopolis /karanis

tuff prefects

Postby spidus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:51 pm

built five prefects when the greeks came half hid under the brigde and the rest attaked one at a time. whent to take a screen shot of the cowerdly prefects in the water but thay all hid under one of the small arches in shame! :rolleyes:

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 pm

There is something strange about the bridge. On several occasions during testing we saw either enemies or the player's cohorts go for a swim under that bridge. :rolleyes:

Sometimes both...
Last edited by Hieronymus on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spidus

Postby spidus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:25 pm

i saw that good screen shot. it was the way the prefects all move to one of the small arches when i zoomed in to take a screenshot that almost had me in stiches when the fihting was over thay all came out under the main arch again. It would be good if you could get the sheep under water :D
Last edited by spidus on Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add some more

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Underwater sheep??? :eek: Have you any idea how soggy wool gets? Image

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu May 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Tell us dear Hieronymus... we ALL know how aware you are of this!

spidus

Postby spidus » Thu May 01, 2008 1:22 pm

it whode be a problem for wolly sheep but a srote feace breed like a wiltshire horn wode be ok under water but not very good for wool producsion only as a sorce of meat

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu May 01, 2008 10:36 pm

"aramann" wrote:Tell us dear Hieronymus... we ALL know how aware you are of this!

NEVER take a sheep in the shower. That's all I'm saying, dear aramann... ImageImage

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu May 01, 2008 11:08 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
And of course you know this from personal experience? Does not wool shrink when wet??? :eek: :D ;) :rolleyes: :p

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri May 02, 2008 10:35 am

How else do you think I broke my toe? :o ;) :p

aramann

Postby aramann » Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 pm

So who has tried this? Has it been helpful? Did it make anyone more comfortable with using the military? Has anyone decided to go back through the campaigns playing the more military based scenarios? Are you going to be more likely to play a scenario with military in it?

Rosa

Postby Rosa » Thu May 08, 2008 5:04 am

I am enjoying this very much! I am still playing it, but I have learned alot so far after the first few invasions. I am much more likely to play future military scenarios, and it has enhanced the game for me overall. Thanks!

Novicia

Postby Novicia » Tue May 13, 2008 2:42 am

I am a grateful new student, needing all the help I can get! I've just started the tutorial and true to form, got plastered at the first invasion. I didn't have prefects set up in time at the invasion site. Also, I should have paid more attention to the "buildings on fire" messages because the prefects already in town were no longer there. Never mind, it was fun watching the Greeks take time off for a swim under the bridge.

Will start again, with better planning.

Shame I couldn't bribe the Greeks :D

aramann

Postby aramann » Tue May 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Sorry Novica... no bribing in THIS scenario! However, it IS very helpful to play on slow and pause as often as you can, which is VERY key in getting through the military scenarios! Good luck and let us know how you have done!

spidus

Postby spidus » Fri May 16, 2008 12:52 pm

haveing fun playing the tutoral good work.
one hevey infatrery has decided to join the calsicus britanicus and become navy seals under the brigde whith the prefecs there must be something good unber that brigde. :D

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri May 16, 2008 5:15 pm

I've seen screenshots and have all these people tell me about bridge issues but have never ever seen them myself! You all must be putting up magic bridges or have trolls living under them in your games! :p

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri May 16, 2008 6:27 pm

"aramann" wrote:I've seen screenshots and have all these people tell me about bridge issues but have never ever seen them myself! You all must be putting up magic bridges or have trolls living under them in your games! :p

Ah! So THAT'S what this line of code in the script was all about. Wondered what it was...

mInvasion.AddCohort("TROLL", 1, 0, 0);

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri May 16, 2008 7:29 pm

I started playing this one last night. Prefects fighting on a bridge is not exactly the best way to go, especially when many are underwater under the bridge.

Then the invasions occuring before my forts are ready.

This image is the first tiny invasion with the Trap, where security rating was destroyed from what ended up as 4 crimes. ;)

The later BIG invasion here missed my Welcoming Committee ( :D ) & they escaped from the walls not going to the edge of the map.

<Hey, what can I say?>

Had to chase them down again on the Prefect Bridge to the Northwest. Again, fighting on the bridge doesn't work well. No wonder I've never done it before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”