Best of All Worlds

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Jimaaten

Best of All Worlds

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:32 pm

Best of All Worlds

"Ave, Aedile. Caesar and the Senate are sending you to the Roman client state of Judea to assist its king, Herod, in building a great port city. The state of Judea is lacking in any valuable resources. Herod, and Rome, hope that building a trade port to act as an intermediary between the rich trade caravans of the East and the Roman Empire will bring monetary rewards to both Herod and Rome.

Herod is enamoured of all things Roman and wishes to make the city, Caesarea, named for Caesar Augustus, as Roman as Rome itself. Therefore, besides the high ratings for culture, prosperity and security that he insists upon, King Herod has several additional specific requirements.

The city must have a working circus in which his chariot team can race to victory. In addition to a temple dedicated to each of the Roman gods, he also wants to honor Jupiter above all by building at least two magnificent temples to him. Herod will dedicate one of these himself to Caesar. And lastly, Herod wants a majestic governor's estate to be built, so that he may reside in style when he visits the city.

Aedile, you are faced with a challenge. The site chosen for the city is perfect for a harbor, Rome's engineers have made sure of that, but the surrounding area lacks any resources but sand. The pasture land that is available is only suitable for raising sheep. You will need to import all food and most raw materials. In order to succeed, you will need to turn Caesarea into a manufacturing and trade center.

One bright spot in all these challenges is that the merchants from Noricum seem to have a source for Raetian wine, famed and prized throughout the Empire. If you can open trade with them, you can resell the wine to others at a modest profit. You could even mix a little wine from Hispania into the shipments and no one would complain -- not even Caesar."

This scenario is heavy on trade; you even have to buy your own food. There is no military. The city map uses the campaign map for Alexandria, modified to allow more trade ports. I tried to make this scenario as historically accurate as possible.

Tips for playing

This scenario is a little different from the usual, so here are a few tips that you might want to follow:

1. Open several trade routes in the beginning. Not only do you need to get food from them, but you need to start getting trade money in as soon as possible. You need money to pay for all that food.
  2. Don't spend all of your starting money in the beginning. You need some money to pay for food (and possibly raw materials) and salaries in the beginning before your trade income kicks in.
  3. Herod built Caesarea as a port to supply grain to Jerusalem. Don't overlook the modest amount that can made trading grain through to Judea.
  4. Once you have some savings, there is money to be made selling through exotic goods from all over the known world -- the best of all worlds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 am

Sweet deal, I thought I was playing Patrician again.[img]http://bestsmileys.com/water/4.gif[/img] Plenty of trades routes, I wish there was more bulk to trade instead of the 12's, 18's and 24's. Blew off Caesar once, I was getting tired of his mouth. :rolleyes: Everyone works in my city except the prefects, no catapults to break. :D

Best of All Worlds win 08-08-25 23-12-41.jpg
Best of All Worlds overhead 08-08-25 23-42-03.jpg

Best of All Worlds move 08-08-25 23-43-59.jpg
Best of All Worlds rich 08-08-25 23-45-28.jpg

I left a save to look at, go ahead & flame if you want, I can handle it....[img]http://bestsmileys.com/evil/3.gif[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Nice scenario. It reminded me a little of the Cotn one of yours that I played, Viper. Also a little like the Silk Purse team contest of a year ago.

Good choice of map. Seemed so long since I played it in the campaign that it was like a new map to me.

The grain request had me puzzled for a while until I realised there was a maximum import setting to adjust.

Busy Harbour (I'll say!)

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:02 pm

"Rnett" wrote:Plenty of trades routes, I wish there was more bulk to trade instead of the 12's, 18's and 24's.
When I designed it, I decided on all the trade routes I wanted first and then tried to make each one have something that would require the player to open it. I limited the amounts to try to increase difficulty. Thanks for the feedback; if I ever do another scenario I'll keep it in mind. :)
"Herodotus" wrote:Good choice of map. Seemed so long since I played it in the campaign that it was like a new map to me.
I always liked that map, but found it strange that they put in what looked like a natural harbor and then made it almost impossible to put trading docks in. :confused:
"Herodotus" wrote:The grain request had me puzzled for a while until I realised there was a maximum import setting to adjust.
The same thing happened when I tested it the first time. :o
"Herodotus" wrote:Busy Harbour (I'll say!)
That was one of my goals. One of the busiest harbour in the ancient world should look like it.

Thank you both for playing my scenario and posting. It's nice to get feedback. :cool:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:52 pm

I wuz shocked to see you in the C4 UCS section, Jim, so I HAD to do this one. :D

Daaaaamn, this was HARD for a Proud Crazy Rebel like me. I got ships comming outta my <censored>! :eek:

Here's my first Win Screen! ;)

now just have to go back & win honestly...

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing that second win-screen. ;)

Look at all those ships in the harbor. I lost count after twenty. :cool:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Here's my second & honest Win Screen. :D

Anyone want 180 Grain that I saved up but never needed cuz the Food Request wuz a one time only thingie? :p

Question #1 ~ How much Favor didn't I get for ignoring it? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I had to wait a looong time to get Favor up from the 60 when I gifted to 100 last time. No gifts used here.

Tribute Demand 4000 dn (-10 Favor) ~ Yearly
Glass Request 64 (+5 Favor) ~ Every 2 years
Wine Request 48 (+10 Favor) ~ Every 2 years

I skipped 2 early wine & the food request for the first Win screen. Cost me 5 extra years. Dummy me! :D

Images are during play between Win Screens. First image was my best try at getting the max ships imaged. It would be higher if some ships didn't disappear after trading. This is why we don't see so many leaving, even though all trade was in operation at the 13 docks.

After these images, I imported/exported Exotics for the 96x30x6 = 17280 dn (plus Merc Dedication #2 & Benevolences) as a Lab. Really racked up the cash then. Yearly Treasury increased by about 33K dn.

TM did an outstanding job in C4 Trade handling. Even with everything on the table, I maxed everything out exporting every year. Quite amazing!

I also learned a bunch about timing of payoff Requests/Demands, something I never actually Labbed before. Also finally figured out about how messages are added to the terribly buggy Message Log. I thought completing quickly was always better, but this appears to be false in certain situations like Tribute & definitely good in others like needing favor. Might start a new thread about this...

Question #2 ~ I see other Win Screens have Popularity at Excellent or even Good, whereas mine always comes out as Perfect. Rnett's save only showed that possibly food types were the reason, unless he adjusted a few things just before the save. Just how much can we put our thumbs on our people's necks? This needs a new thread also...

Thank you, Jim! I absolutely loved it! You get your stars now! :)
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimaaten

Postby Jimaaten » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:06 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Question #1 ~ How much Favor didn't I get for ignoring it? :rolleyes:
Is this one of those double negative things? :confused: You don't get points for ignoring requests. :p If you had completed it, it would have been worth a combination of the two others (+15).
"Tinkerbell" wrote:Question #2 ~ I see other Win Screens have Popularity at Excellent or even Good, whereas mine always comes out as Perfect. Rnett's save only showed that possibly food types were the reason, unless he adjusted a few things just before the save. Just how much can we put our thumbs on our people's necks? This needs a new thread also...

Thank you, Jim! I absolutely loved it! You get your stars now! :)
I've never really thought much about popularity. I would assume the number is the result of many different factors including crime, culture, food and goods variety, etc.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I got my stars. :cool:

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:53 pm

+15? :eek:

Dat figures. You are truly evil, Jim! :D

immexia09

Best of All Worlds

Postby immexia09 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Best man does not want to me master of ceremony. Father in law is now lumbered with the task.

What are we to do?

p3obar

Postby p3obar » Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Where can I download this scenario? Can you post a link? Thanks in advance.

Return to “User-created Scenarios”