The Agrilus

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

The Agrilus

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:50 pm

For any fans of both C4 and The Beatles... a scenario by Aramann and Hieronymus...

"The music-loving people of Liverpool are distraught. For years they have been entertained by renowned song composers Howardus and Beckius. Sadly, they have now been forced to leave the city after scenes of domestic strife. These ensued after the respective (and long-suffering) spouses of Howardus and Beckius had completely misunderstood their totally innocent remarks about how much they enjoyed composing together after a nice bath...

"But now word has come to your ears of a fabulous foursome, who have an awesome talent for making music: Ioannes, Paulus, Georgius and Ringus, known to all as "The Agrilus". Perhaps by taking responsibility for guiding them through what promises to be an amazing career, you can restore some joy and a sense of pride to the people of this city?"

And if you'd like to find out what happened to Howardus and Beckius, watch this space... all will be revealed in the 2008 seasonal offering from The Axis of Daggy Evil. Coming soon...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Upload facility now fixed!

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:06 am

This is a nice relaxing scenario, and an AWFUL lot of fun. We'vce had this in the works for quite some time and it's been as much fun to help provide inspiration for as it has been to test and play.
Even if you're not a Beatles fan, definitely try this scenario! ;)
(when it's available that is!!!!)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 pm

Keep on trying, keep on getting "Upload failed" errors.

Pretty please Reed?

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:46 am

Both aramann and I have tried and failed to upload the files here (a jpeg minimap, 17k in size, and a zip file for the scenario, 1.7M in size), so the problem would appear to be at TM's end. :( Hopefully Reed can fix this soon.

But in the mean time, a Huge YAY for Caesar IV Heaven! You can download the scenario here. Have fun!

EDIT: Reed has fixed the upload facility! Yay! Scenario files now available here.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:46 am

ARGHGHGH~!~!!!!

Evil wenches! I'm within spitting distance of the end (I assume it's the end anyway) and because of the way I placed by manor houses I'm.....er....let's just say I need to either tear them down and replace them somewhere else; clear out the area and replace them; or just start over! :rolleyes: My city is a mess anyway.

I played the 12days last year a LOT and enjoyed it greatly, so it's my own dang fault that I didn't see the requirements coming! <insert bashing head against stone wall smiley>

Thanks for the work on this one. It's been great fun trying to get thru it and the references/history lessons are cool.

I think I'll start over. It's cold out. snow coming. (blizzard actually). Glass of wine and computer games. What more could one want, eh?

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:43 am

Here you go Image

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Heh. ;) thanks for the brick wall...I'm using it again today.

Started the scenario over....I've gotten my 3rd trade route opened....and then nothing. no prompts. no requests. no references. Nothing. It just runs like a sandbox. I'm trading with all three of the sites that are open. I've got money (off and on). Haven't a CLUE as to why I'm not getting the next requests.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll attach the latest save file in case someone can figure it out and maybe PM me so there isn't a spoiler. I've obviously missed something because I got WELL past this level with the first run through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:09 pm

Hi AnnT!

The story goes something like this (and this is for general consumption). The Agrilus have demanded that you hold a festival to Bacchus (which I see you have done). The problem is that the Agrilus sometimes (probably because of the, um, exotic substances they are consuming) do not realise that you have actually held one for them. This seems to be a problem where the population is relatively low, as is the case early on in the scenario.

As a related bit of advice: since wine is the 4th luxury item it's a good idea to uncheck the box on your luxury market - this will mean that your equites and patricians won't actually consume the wine, and you just keep it for the Bacchanalia.

I can suggest two things to resolve your problem. One is to wait until your city can afford to import another 14-16 wine, whilst leaving enough to pay for another Bacchanalia (around 700dn I would guess, based on your current population - it works out at around 300dn per 1000 people). You shouldn't need to hold another festival - having sufficient wine and funds in the city should prompt the Agrilus to move on.

However, that may take a little while. The alternative would be to go back to a save just before you held the festival. Carry on from there but this time with the luxury market not taking wine. When you have sufficient wine for the festival, stop importing, and wait until your cartpushers have stopped moving wine about the city. At this point you can hold the festival and the script should detect that fact.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on! :D

P.S. If you liked 12 Days, you should have fun with the seasonal offering from aramann and myself for 2009, which should appear here in a few day's time: it's called Nos Galan - a tale of bribery, corruption and Christmas presents, following the tale of Howardus and Beckius. Oh, and did I mention Seutonius Paulinus Grinch XIII? :eek:
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:08 am

:) Thanks for the reply. I'll load that save again and give it a shot. I restarted again (VERY determined to hit a win screen :D ) I decided to condense my city closer to food, etc., so things don't take as long, but still left huge areas in the center of the housing for things to add later on....My patricians are at max level now, just waiting for a return to see whither we shall go from there.

Did I mention that I'm determined? and that it's been raining on top of the nasty snow/blizzard we got? and now we're looking at sub zero temps again tonight. :eek:

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 am

sorry to be a nudge....but it's getting frustrating. With my new run at this, I've got 4200 people, culture of 95, 4 maxed out mansions and nothing is happening again. Last message was just after the last festival. ... The Agrilus are partying, yadayada, when they return they'll want grande mansions (or whatever the maxed is called). Since then I've gotten the normal request from Caesar, but nothing more. The Bacchanalia button isn't active (2 years have gone by), I've got plenty of wine, money...I just did a Jupiter festival thinking that might clear it out...but nothing.

I'll attach another savegame. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I really enjoyed the game. Lotsof really good stuff, but something is hinky. I did get a message quite a while ago about how many songs, etc....but nothing more. i've peeked at the xml and it appears there is a win screen. Just don't know what to do now or what I might have missed.

Ann

aramann

Postby aramann » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi AnnT! Thanks for playing!
There is a bit of a gap after you've finished and get that note of how many songs you've had. Perhaps run it on fast for a wee bit?
I'll look at your save today.

EDIT: Why don't you see if you can bump up some ratings just a teensy tad bit. Might make all the difference? Try and let us know!
Last edited by aramann on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Sorry, I misled aramann here in due to a typo in an email I sent her :eek: (shock horror etc.)

Though I haven't had a chance to verify this, I would hazard a guess that when you completed the "story" and had the random song count message you were either short on the 90 culture or the 4096 population requirement? From the script it looks like there is a little bug which would prevent you ever seeing the victory screen if you left the game at this point and reloaded later. We'll fix and produce the patch later today. :)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:24 pm

AnnT - could you try this patch to the cs file? Just extract and overwrite the version you have. Let us know if this works - and thanks again for playing! :)

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Success!! Yippeee!! or...boooooooohisssssss (depending on your view of the final happening to The Agrilus :( )

The patch was perfect. I loaded the saved game after applying and the first thing that came up was the win screen! I kind of wish they'd been together as long as it took me to play the scenario (game time) but then I'd like to see Benny Goodman make a comeback and that AIN'T happening....

thanks for the hard work on the scenario. It's a fun fun time with a number of cool little things happening to keep you interested. I'm hoping you're able to do more of similar like this and the christmas theme from last year!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:59 pm

Glad you enjoyed it AnnT - and thanks for the bug report which really helped us track down this problem :D

Watch out for Nos Galan which will appear later this week. This is our seasonal offering for 2009, similar to Twelve Days - though actually I like the new one better... :)

aramann

Postby aramann » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:37 pm

CONGRATS AnnT!!! Glad you enjoyed it!
You'll REALLY like Nos Galen! Just a few more checks and tweaks and it'll be here!

gerhardc

Postby gerhardc » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Nice scenario again thx you two..... Just a question what is with the nowhereland trade route not selling or buying anything?

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 am

Oh, just typical AODE insanity :rolleyes: :p

We wanted the Beatles reference in there somewhere, and it just seemed appropriate that Nowhereland would actually trade nothing. :D

gerhardc

Postby gerhardc » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:18 pm

hahaha I thought as much, but also knowing your insanity i recond if i dont open it i might not be able open the rest :D

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Get ready for LOTS more insanity!!! We've got a quickie contest coming up soon! ;)

Thanks for playing gerhardc, glad you've enjoyed it! We had a lot of fun making it!

Return to “User-created Scenarios”