Nos Galan

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

Nos Galan

Postby Hieronymus » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:15 pm

This is the 2008 seasonal C4 scenario by Aramann and Hieronymus - a tale of bribery, corruption and Christmas presents.

It follows (for those who have already played through "The Agrilus") the career of the song composers Howardus and Beckius, and tells how they came to compose a classic Christmas carol. Or not. (If you haven't played "The Agrilus", don't worry - apart from this tenuous link, the two scenarios are independent.)

"For a long time the Emperor Constantine has lamented the lack of any good Yuletide carols for his people to sing. Every year the best song composers of Constantinopolis have tried to come up with something that pleases Caesar - and every year they have failed miserably. So now Constantine has offered a prize to any composer in the Empire who can produce a Yuletide carol that will please him. A great prize awaits the winner of this contest - and there will also be great honor for the city whose resident composer is chosen. But Caesar does not have infinite patience, and if no suitable offering is received in seven and a half years, he will cancel the contest.

"As the appointed governor of a new city, you would expect to have little hope of winning this contest. But now you have heard news of two composers who have recently fallen from grace, banned from their city of Liverpool, and in search of a new home. They are called Howardus and Beckius - perhaps they could be inspired to write a new classic that will last through the ages? You just need to be aware of their strange ways. Beckius is notoriously fond of a glass or seven of wine, and will often take to dancing on tables. Howardus, meanwhile, seems to like spending his time 'getting back to nature', usually on the nearest sheep farm. Beckius fondly calls Howardus (the elder of the two) her 'Tutor, Mentor, Benevolent Dictator and Sheep Shagging Friend'. As for the long suffering spouses of this insane pair, their full names are now sadly lost - although ancient manuscripts seem to indicate that they (remarkably) share the same first name: 'Poor'."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hieronymus on Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Included patch to cs file...

Kiya

Postby Kiya » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:45 pm

No views of the scenario yet and already rated with 5 stars? :D

I love the theme already: bribery + corruption with Christmas presents. :o

Rnett

Postby Rnett » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:18 pm

The white map looks interesting...

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:07 am

it's just rather... snowy..... ;)

AnnT

Postby AnnT » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:22 am

Muahahahaaaa!!! A new scenario! and 12 inches of snow on the way tonight and tomorrow. AND my husband will be going into work tomorrow with the 4x4, so I have NO way out!! I'm in hawg heaven.

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:08 am

Have fun AnnT! It's a beaut of a scenario! Totally AODE style!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:17 pm

"Kiya" wrote:No views of the scenario yet and already rated with 5 stars? :D

Yes, that is strange, isn't it Kiya? :D

Moreover, it was awarded within a minute of me posting the scenario. Now I know I didn't do it myself, so... either there is someone out there who loves me, or... well, let's just say that at the time of posting, I know for a fact that there was only one other person in the world who had played this scenario... ;)

aramann

Postby aramann » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:09 pm

I don't know what you're talking about.

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:26 am

"aramann" wrote:I don't know what you're talking about.

That isn't one of your famed "innocent looks" is it A? :p

And here's a little link as a bit of background... :)

Though as you play this scenario, you'll see some of the little historical details there are not quite right. True, the song DID originate in Wales (the setting for this scenario) and Howardus is believed to have Welsh blood in him... also Beckius is believed to have American descendants. But the carol is indeed a good more ancient than the link would suggest. ;)
Last edited by Hieronymus on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

spidus
Location: market lavington/onnile osirisnehk cites antinoopolis /karanis

Postby spidus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:31 pm

:eek :O ooh no!!! what whith 3 c4 games to do, finish a roman building reconstucsion and some card shipbilding to do over the christmas brake how am i going to fit in real life stuff like christmas :D and there chechin on the nile. you are spoiling us whith two festive games. :D :D have a good saturnaler.

Swingy

Postby Swingy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:37 pm

Oh boy, I'm stucked. Can't figure out how to get gladiator guilds and I tried everything. Temples fo Bachus, import wapons... still no guilds. Help! :D

ow Aramann and Hieronymus: I love your scenario's!!!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Gladiator guilds will come in due course... At the same time as the arena unlocks, in fact. You do (of course) get the coliseum before that, but lions are just as good entertainment ;)

Swingy

Postby Swingy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:45 pm

I can build arena's yet. And there is a coliseum working. But still no gladiator guilds. (I'm in the sixth line of the song now)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:46 pm

What happens when you reload your save? If you are up to the 6th line it should be enabled on a reload.

Swingy

Postby Swingy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:05 pm

Now I have gladiator guilds :cool:
I'm going to ki..... ehhh that's a spoiler. :D I'm going to sing the song a line further ;)

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 pm

That's cool, swingy :) But you have uncovered a little bug that slipped through the net, no doubt because Aramann and I both must have tested this over several sessions. I will post a fix tomorrow when I have chance to test it - but the workaround for anyone encountering this problem is just to reload your save.

aramann

Postby aramann » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:17 pm

My bad, most likely. I knew it worked on a reload. Probably didn't tell the TMBD&SSF about it. Glad you got through it though!

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:55 pm

"aramann" wrote:My bad, most likely. I knew it worked on a reload. Probably didn't tell the TMBD&SSF about it. Glad you got through it though!

What a humbling thing it is to have a design partner who is more noble than one is :p

Bugs are ALWAYS the fault of the scripter :p

Here's the patch anyway, just one missing line of code...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aramann

Postby aramann » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:11 am

"Hieronymus" wrote:What a humbling thing it is to have a design partner who is more noble than one is :p

<snicker> if you all only knew.... :p :D :rolleyes: :eek:

Swingy

Postby Swingy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:31 am

And won :)

Return to “User-created Scenarios”