Thamugadi (Sandbox)

Post and download user-created scenarios and campaigns here!
Hieronymus

Thamugadi (Sandbox)

Postby Hieronymus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 pm

A sandbox with a large flat map, lots of trade, and no military. Thanks go to mihaip for testing the map and providing feedback. :)

"You have been sent to North Africa by the Emporer Trajan, with strict orders to build a "Colonia" at Thamugadi (Timgad) - a city specially created for retired soldiers of the Third Augustan Legion, who are based at Lambaesis nearby. As the place is rich in resources, with excellent trading opportunities, Ceasar expects you to build a great city suitable for heroes to live in.

"You will find that the presence of a strong force at Lambaesis will keep your city safe from any raiders. In fact, the legion at Lambaesis has done such a good job of keeping the enemy at bay that they are getting bored. If you can send them some funds, they may be able to keep occupied by going ivory hunting - which you can then buy from Lambaesis and pass on to the rest of the Empire at a nice profit.

"One matter has been concerning governors in many of these hot provinces - how to keep their cities from burning to the ground. The best brains in Rome have been tasked by Caesar with solving this problem - and they think they have come up with an answer. Grandly calling it 'The Safety Network', they have worked out a system of protection that requires you to build at least 6 prefect offices and 6 engineer's posts, plus one of each for every 5000 population you have. Set this in place and your buildings will never catch fire or collapse again!"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PantherX

An exercise in symmetry

Postby PantherX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:44 pm

What a great sandbox to play with...
I would suggest the addition of iron and gold on both sides..

So I have been playing with it to see how many villas I could get along with maximizing used space.

Kind of redundant, very tedious, very cookie-cutter construction, but the end result is kind of cool.

An exercise in symmetry, it is not a perfect layout but my main goals were 100,100,100,100, large, lots of villas, balanced equities, plenty of plebes.

2 attached files,
Layout with no population and no villas.
and
Population which has a full city of 34k+ people.

My next step will be to get the entertainment row combined together and squeeze the equites and plebs into better looking housing rows.

edit: oops, I just found one warehouse mis-assigned goods
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PantherX on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added edit comment

Hieronymus

Postby Hieronymus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Glad you had fun with this, PantherX! :)

As you noted, this was really designed to be able to support a large city (hence the trade and also the ability to disable fires).

I'm not planning to update the map BUT I could be persuaded to do another sandbox in a similar vein. Happy to take any special requests, suggestions etc., whether here or by PM... :)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Na it's all good, I am going to see how many plebs the map (and my machine) will support. My thoughts for a minimalistic layout this map is perfect.

I am not sure how much longer C4 will keep my attention, once the online servers were turned off I stopped playing and just picked it up again a month ago.

I am hoping to hit 200k plebs without trading for food or goods, I just need to decide olive oil/glass or clothing/glass to keep as much farmland for wheat and veggies.

PantherX

100k population

Postby PantherX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:02 am

My best guess is that 200k is impossible, unless you 100% import and unlimited cash.

Here is what 100k look like :)

My guess is that the map will load about another 15k and start the cycling due to employment issues but i have not tried it yet.
edit: it managed to get to 112k then cycled down to 106k, I deleted a couple rows of houses and added more jobs, now stable at 109k
Last edited by PantherX on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zamolxes

Postby Zamolxes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Very nice city Panther. Took a minute or two to load up and had to adjust my settings.

I like it a lot, especially the way everything is neatly lined up, symmetric, truly roman :D . Especially counting that 9 out of 10 people are prefects HA HA HA HA. I want to see the invader courageous enough to attack your city.
I think u might be able to squeeze even more people out of it, by reducing some distances and importing food.

Seems like your trade posts are pretty far from immigration point, will it be possible to shuffle 320 meat out from the trade post in 1 year? How about vegetables?
Might want to consider that, offset the price of importing with exports. Import materials, export finished goods. Farms take up a lot of space, so by importing the food you get prime real estate. I assume this is a modded map, I wonder if is possible to script in multiple trade posts of the same partner.

I was clicking around on your farms, noticed a big majority either had no fields, or were full of product. So you are overproducing a little bit. Also, if you double up that line of food markets you have on southern side you: increase tax income, reduce the time that food travels from field to their mouths. I took the liberty to redesign a bit your housing in a corner, to exemplify how u can squeeze more pop and jobs per tile. Note that u get less houses than u had before, but gain a strip of land along whole lenght of housing block that can be used either for insulas, or for additional markets.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 pm

wow, that was a long time ago 1+ year - lol

Sure was fun to do. My main goals were 100% culture and everyone fed. I suppose it could be stretched some more but unemployment becomes a big problem.
:cool:

Return to “User-created Scenarios”