Welcome!

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
Gamma412

Sc5

Postby Gamma412 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:11 am

Chris:

I am gravely disappointed that Will Wright wasn't involved in this game. However, i understand he was caught up with another game. But releasing a game that has little in common, if anything, with the Sim City franchise is a travesty. From reading the previews, i can see this will not be a realistic city simulation that i have come to expect from EA.

It seems to me you guys decided that the hardcore fan base won't bring in the profits EA is looking for. I would tend to disagree, and i feel you are not giving us a chance.

I am probably one of the "Sim City Purists" you guys hate, but i am nonetheless a consumer and, depending on the reviews, will probably NOT buy this game, and hope that next time, EA returns to the realistic urban development, if there will be a next game....

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:27 am

Will Wright himself wasn't really involved in any of the SimCities following SC2k and it was mentioned that he did not want to be involved in making sequels.

Saying that the SC purists are "hated" is pretty much being melodramatic.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:43 am

Gamma412 wrote:Chris:I am probably one of the "Sim City Purists" you guys hate, but i am nonetheless a consumer and, depending on the reviews, will probably NOT buy this game, and hope that next time, EA returns to the realistic urban development, if there will be a next game....

trust me we actually don't mind people who say they don't like the game
in fact I still encourage it as it could get a good conversation going and free exchange of ideas is a good thing
there were a few "simcity" trolls who posted just to incite conflict before
and that is what the negative responses came from
I think most everybody is over the worst of it though and things seemed to calm down

PS could you elaborate in your own words what you think is wrong with the game.
or do you feel they were all already covered by other posts?
every little bit helps I think and it seems like some of the things SC fans have.. "requested" made it into the game
in a recent article from IGN they said the game will be completely modable in any way from the buildings down to the rules and will ship with mod tools
in a recent video (I am assuming here) I saw buildings "sliding" twards the road (while being placed) instead of snapping to a grid so I think you might be able to disable the grid(again I'm assuming based on what I saw nothign was really mentioned about this that I saw)

panikattak

Postby panikattak » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:07 am

King Faticus:

That sliding looks to me to be a script put together for a demonstration and not part of the actual game mechanics. Especially how the camera follows the action as it does, it looks choreographed.

I would like to add that I hope I didn't come off as a "simcity" troll. I know I had the one thread I started about EA buying TM if Societies does well, but that's a real concern for me and still is.

So I apologize to everyone and especially to the TM devs if I was offensive.

I have hopes for Societies and it looks like it's shaping up to be a decent game.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:44 am

no you never "trolled" Panikattak
so you don't need to apologize for it (trust me you cannot accidentally do what the three I am thinking about did)
the confusion and anger some posters had is understandable
and so I never had a problem with it
until three perticular posters started attacking people for saying they might like the game and slamming TM and their previous games despite not ever playing them
and wishing ill on TM (hoping they go under)
one of them kept sinking lower and lower insulting a member for speaking for his wife and correcting people's grammar :rolleyes:
In truth they were enjoying the game.. not SCS or SC4K.. they enjoyed inciting confrontation and controlling peoples emotions
unfortunately people like that appear when things like this happen because the opportunity is so ripe

after this I became very defensive even twards the non trolls and for that "I" should apologize :(
If we had all just ignored said posters it wouldn't have gotten so bad

panikattak wrote:That sliding looks to me to be a script put together for a demonstration and not part of the actual game mechanics. Especially how the camera follows the action as it does, it looks choreographed.

the scenes were pretty quick.. maybe I can cut the scene out and slow it down, that will make it a little more clear
either way it was just an assumption :D

zorkin

looking to be a tester

Postby zorkin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Hello Chris
I have just joined your form and I am sure that you get alot of request regarding people interested in being a beta tester. Well I am going to be one of those people. I enjoy games a little too much and would really be interested in being a beta-tester. Please let me know if that could happen. Thanks

Gamma412

Postby Gamma412 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:33 pm

PS could you elaborate in your own words what you think is wrong with the game.
or do you feel they were all already covered by other posts?
every little bit helps I think and it seems like some of the things SC fans have.. "requested" made it into the game
in a recent article from IGN they said the game will be completely modable in any way from the buildings down to the rules and will ship with mod tools
in a recent video (I am assuming here) I saw buildings "sliding" twards the road (while being placed) instead of snapping to a grid so I think you might be able to disable the grid(again I'm assuming based on what I saw nothign was really mentioned about this that I saw)[/QUOTE]

King, what i feel is wrong with this rendition is this:

*Zoning was taken away (biggest complaint)- part of building a city is placing zones and getting the building you want through devleopment means - placing the right public services to enocouarge skyscraper development. Just "ploping" whatever building you want takes away challange and reward. Mayor's in real life dont just "plop" buidlings, they govern.

*Graphics are subpar (IMHO)

*I feel like this game is being targeted at the casual, mainstream gamer. (You know, the kind that plays "The Sims". TM and EA want this game to be easier and less complicated so they will "increase" profits. I disagree, and think this game will not only be better, but may actually make more, if it just expanded upon SC4.

I haven't seen the game, so i don't want to be too prejudemental. But i'm not liking what i'm seeing.

Gamegirl

Postby Gamegirl » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:45 am

This game looks amazing to me. I love city building games and I'm sure this one will not disappoint. I loved Children of the Nile and Caesar IV and I know Tilted Mill won't let its fans down. :D

Pharaon-Kheops

Postby Pharaon-Kheops » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:43 pm

Well, back at this forum after some months off...
I have to say I made a great "hourra!!!" when I learned TM will develop the new SC. I am indeed a great fan of CotN wich is the only citybuilding game I know where you can let the game run while going to watch your evenning film on TV, and when you come back, you see the city has.... lived... yes in this game the city is alive, and that's what it was revolutionnary!
I understand that many SC4 great fans (from whose I am, being a simtropolis member and supporter) may dislike the way SC:S seems to take, but what? This is a new game, not a SC4 expansion kit!!! Though, i am pretty confident a vast majority of SC4 fans will finally adopt SC:S. The same occured to Parradox dev. with Europa Universalis 3. Fans of EU2 complained because the new game was 3D, not really moddable and totally un-historic... but at the end they now quite all play the two games alternatively, one for historical-accuracy (with a bunch of great mods) and the other for grapphics and unpredictability.
To end this post, I also want to talk about Citylife. I've read that the game shown in the preview seems a clone of CL. To this I answer: "great!". To my opinion, CL was a great game made by a company too weak to handle it (not enough variety, mean graphics, poor advertisement....), but the new ideas put by this game were really novative. So let's see what the geniousness of TM and the financial power of EA (oh, yes, video games are also a matter of money, fans! ;-) ) can do of this new kind of citybuilder... My heart tells me that the spirit of CotN, coupled with the legacy of SC and mixed with some of CL ideas has all what is needed to be a king of games!

Praying everyday to be allowed to join beta-test, I say a great "good luck and courage!" to the dev team. I am really confident about what you'll finally do.

PS: as before, and allways, I kindly apologizes to you, Westerners, about my bad english, but I am a poor Old-Worlder whose mother tongue is of Roman origin...

Dragonforge

Late to the party ...

Postby Dragonforge » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:59 am

Greetings 8)

2007? Wow, I only just discovered this title.
Excellent program you've made here, Tilted Mill.
SimCity Societies is FUN 8)
I can play for just a few minutes, or I can play for hours.
Either way, the time spent is fun, lively, and refreshing.
I am reminded of going from Railroad Tycoon 3 to Sid Meier's Railroads ...
... a bit of a shock to the system but well worth the change.
SimCity 4/Rush Hour was starting to feel like work and not play.
Thank you, for putting PLAY back into the game 8)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:17 am

Better late than never. :D Welcome to the forums. :)

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:17 pm

"Dragonforge" wrote:Greetings 8)

2007? Wow, I only just discovered this title.
Excellent program you've made here, Tilted Mill.
SimCity Societies is FUN 8)
I can play for just a few minutes, or I can play for hours.
Either way, the time spent is fun, lively, and refreshing.
I am reminded of going from Railroad Tycoon 3 to Sid Meier's Railroads ...
... a bit of a shock to the system but well worth the change.
SimCity 4/Rush Hour was starting to feel like work and not play.
Thank you, for putting PLAY back into the game 8)

I'm glad to hear you like it, Are you playing the basic version,
or with the Destinations expansion pack?

Either way is great, If you run into any problems or have questions,
there is quite a bit posted here, and I am sure someone will be willing
to offer advice.

Hope to continue to enjoy the game and become part of our community here.

Yoper

Postby Yoper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a big fan of SCS. It's a pity that this game is not continued. Greetings from Poland :)

Return to “General Discussion”