SCREENIES ~ Post 'em here!

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
nexu

Ether city, part 2

Postby nexu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 am

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Very nice - I like what you have done.
I suppose a grid of similar layouts would work for larger scale, but as the city gets alrger and trave times get bigger I think it would encounter problems.

But then again I am constantly surprised by different users innovative cities.

Keep us informed!

Thanks Azeem & Midrealm!

This is actually my third city I'm building in basic mode (normal diff). The idea to build a city without intersection and public-transport was inspired by the thread The double roadway solution.
All my previous city suffered from a high maintenance cost as all the public transport buildings has a high upkeep, requires electricity (which add more maintenance cost) and they take up space which could be used for other buildings or decorations.
At best i was getting a income/maintenance ratio of 3:1. Which makes city expansion really slow, as i need to keep sufficient cash in the city treasury to last through the weekends.

Ether city update

A larger layout next to the old one (consider it as an expansion). Same concept (no intersections, no public transport). This time i used mainly private homes.

With this grid size. Sims starts to leave their houses around 5-6AM and most of the Sims has arrived at their work around 7AM-9AM. Using generally low density residents seem to cause the traffic to flow much more smoother.
Income ~160k, maintenance 16k. Still well above the 4:1 ratio i'm aiming for!

PS: The group of tree houses + monastery + Ivory tower with a Pagoda was not planned to be there. A random game event happened which caused refugees to pour into my city and at that time my 'expansion' was already build. To prevent the refugees to be unhappy or going rogue, i just dropped some housing there.

Housing:
Image Image
Image Image
Traffic
........ in the morning ....... ... and in the evening
Image Image

Workplaces:
Image Image
The traffic might be running smooth, but the Sims are all arriving at such a short interval that they form a clusterf*ck at the entrances of high-density workplaces!
Sillywood movies!

nexu

Ether city, part 2 <continued>

Postby nexu » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 am

<..continued>
Venues:

Sims leaving workplaces simultaneously looking for venues

Opera house for the adults and a ferris wheel for the kids

Some retail that gives Sims high happiness value

Some retails, a zoo and a plastic surgeon...

.. that even this monk can't resist to stare at this babes plastic booty!

As for Pollution:
100% cars - producing around 300 Carbon Units. No smog.
Last edited by nexu on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pollution detail

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Nexu, luv your cities!!! Looks like it was a bit difficult to set up.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 pm

I like the visual effect of the no intersections

What happens if you let the two roads actually connect?
Chaos... ;)
:cool:

nexu

Postby nexu » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:01 pm

"CatMajik" wrote:Nexu, luv your cities!!! Looks like it was a bit difficult to set up.

Thanks! I love them too, tho i wouldn't actually want to live in one! What crazy major would actually plan a city like this IRL ;)

"PantherX" wrote:What happens if you let the two roads actually connect?

Nothing i suppose. I already see some sims coming from the 'old' layout to the 'new' for some of the venues there.

But if you wish to experiment with it. Here is my save file for this city so far: http://nexu.pwnz.org/gaming/scs/Ether8b.zip (SCS patch 5) HF :)

PS = Look for the Luxury Car dealer. The 'horny monk' is still there! :D

Gonna try to come up with even bigger road/residence/workplaces/venues layout that occupies larger area.

Simmetry

Postby Simmetry » Mon May 02, 2011 5:54 am

Hello! This is my first experiment in using BB code to post photobucket images. I'll post two from my authoritarian city "Strength." If this is a success, more will follow as time permits.

Before:

After:

Here goes...
Last edited by Simmetry on Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simmetry

Postby Simmetry » Mon May 02, 2011 5:58 am

OK, I forgot the closed bracket on the url the first time around (edited to correct), but otherwise a success. And now for something completely different...

Simmetry

Postby Simmetry » Mon May 02, 2011 6:26 am

Screenies from the tiny, ancient Celtic village of Caerbannog (yeah, I was too lazy to look up a real Celtic name, so I used the one from Monty Python).

Oblivious to the great wide world, these villagers need little but the blessing of the gods, the authority of the elders, and an occasional miraculous healing to keep them happy and healthy:

A view looking towards the sacred mountain, then from atop it:

And finally:

BEHOLD, the cave of Caerbannog!!! Follow me... BUT! Follow only if ye be men of valor! For the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul and so cruel, that no man YET has fought with it and lived! BONES of four-fifty men lie STRRREWN about its lair! So sweet knights, if you do doubt your courage, or your strength or valor, come nae further, for DEATH awaits you all, with nasty big pointy teeth!!!!

What? You were expecting a killer rabbit maybe? :D

My thanks to soldyne for the 1x1 stone wall, found here, without which little spiritual communities like this would be impossible.
Last edited by Simmetry on Mon May 02, 2011 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 am

The Celtic village looks amazing. :) Simple yet pictaresque. Great use of the terrain and landmark.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Nice, Simmetry!

Glad you mastered the image posting now!

Simmetry

Postby Simmetry » Wed May 04, 2011 9:10 pm

"Azeem" wrote:The Celtic village looks amazing. :) Simple yet pictaresque. Great use of the terrain and landmark.

Thanks! :) I knew terrain would be important for such a simple society; ancient people always built their homes around what they considered to be the most sacred of spaces.

"Tinkerbell" wrote:Nice, Simmetry!

Glad you mastered the image posting now!

Actually, one thing I haven't mastered: Could you explain how some of the posters above posted their images as thumbnails rather than full size? I didn't see anything obvious in the code that indicated how to do that. Thanks.

Zebediah

Postby Zebediah » Thu May 05, 2011 12:03 am

"Simmetry" wrote:Actually, one thing I haven't mastered: Could you explain how some of the posters above posted their images as thumbnails rather than full size? I didn't see anything obvious in the code that indicated how to do that. Thanks.

It used to be possible to upload images and other files directly to the forum, rather than having to host them elsewhere. That's been disabled, apparantly because some spammers were taking advantage of the feature. Don't know if we'll ever get that back.

Simmetry

Postby Simmetry » Thu May 05, 2011 1:09 am

"Zebediah" wrote:It used to be possible to upload images and other files directly to the forum, rather than having to host them elsewhere. That's been disabled, apparantly because some spammers were taking advantage of the feature. Don't know if we'll ever get that back.

But that was done back in February if I'm not mistaken, and some of the posts above are more recent (and in any case if you read their code, they're clearly linking to outside sites). So there must be some trick to creating these thumbnails.

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 05, 2011 4:08 am

I have asked Jeff about the file upload situation, but I haven't heard back from him on that matter. I believe the ability to upload is still disabled. The board is still seeing heavy attempts at spamming.

For now store you images on sites like Photobucket and Flickr. These will let you copy the URL of the image stored there and paste it here.

1. Upload to off site storage site, Photobucket or Flickr, etc. (Some sites block crosslinking. Those two do not.)

2. Once uploaded, find the URL of the fullsize image stored there. It may be provided readily as a URL link, or you can view the full size image on that site, right click on it, go to PROPERTIES, copy the URL there.

3. Start your reply or new post here. Find the INSERT IMAGE function above on the message toolbar, click on it, and paste your image URL there.

4. When you save your mesage to the board, the image should appear in the message body as you see above in Simmetry's post.

Unfortunately, you won't get the thumbnail size images that can be clicked on to enlarge to the fullsize image until uploading is turned back on on the TM server.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 am

"Simmetry" wrote:Actually, one thing I haven't mastered: Could you explain how some of the posters above posted their images as thumbnails rather than full size? I didn't see anything obvious in the code that indicated how to do that. Thanks.

It looks like the "thumbnails" are handled by the upload site used. Nexu must have formatted the images at the upload site. You can try PMing him & asking, cuz he appears to be a Pro! Again, quoting his post doesn't show any obvious differences between the images.

The ones that Keith is talking about can be seen in fleetwood's #422. Quoting that post shows the images as a number, meaning they were uploaded to this forum directly via the attach image function (not to be confused with the manage attachments also disabled) & that has been disabled.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Thu May 05, 2011 6:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri May 06, 2011 10:14 am

Your graphics are absolutely amazing. Is that the highest graphics setting level? :eek:

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Fri May 06, 2011 12:58 pm

AWESOME your city is!!

RJG

Postby RJG » Fri May 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Thank you. Actually, some of the settings on that group of pictures could have gone even higher. Most were set on “high” rather than “ultra”. With them all on ultra, it gets even better.
Here are a few pictures using ultra. Ultra gives you more “fine details”, improves the reflections, the shadows, the look of the water, etc.

SCS, IMO, has some of the best graphics I have even seen in a game. Personally, I love the game.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62467355@N02/5692988147/ http://www.flickr.com/people/62467355@N02/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62467355@N02/5693558498/ http://www.flickr.com/people/62467355@N02/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62467355@N02/5692987571/ http://www.flickr.com/people/62467355@N02/
Last edited by RJG on Fri May 06, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat May 07, 2011 12:00 am

SCS has an amazing level of graphics detail (at the cost of being such a resource hog!), even being fairly old for a game now, it still beats out a lot of the things I've seen previewed; I'm still extremely baffled by the earlier complaints of its appearance.

Return to “General Discussion”