SCREENIES ~ Post 'em here!

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
RJG

Postby RJG » Sat May 07, 2011 1:39 pm

"Azeem" wrote:SCS has an amazing level of graphics detail (at the cost of being such a resource hog!), even being fairly old for a game now, it still beats out a lot of the things I've seen previewed; I'm still extremely baffled by the earlier complaints of its appearance.

When SCS was released the BIG problem I saw was that most computers, at that time, could not handle the “great graphics” the game could give them. The majority of the people at that time had to run the game in the “lowest settings” and could not enjoy all the game has to offer. For me, the game has always played well but I build my own systems to handle what some of these games are capable of dishing out. At the time of its release I had whatever the latest technology was and therefore it handled the game fine. When I look back at the system I used then, compared to what I can build today, it is amazing how much more powerful computers have become.

I have owned all the SimCity games and enjoyed them all over the years. When they released SCS it was an enormous change over what people were accustomed to playing. Some liked it, some didn’t. For me, I enjoyed it and still do today.

Simmetry

Postby Simmetry » Sat May 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Lovely screenshots, RJG! Love the shot of the red moon and what you were able to do with the hill; the sheriff's office & astrophysics lab are placed perfectly! Howdja do that?

RJG

Postby RJG » Sat May 07, 2011 10:22 pm

"Simmetry" wrote:Lovely screenshots, RJG! Love the shot of the red moon and what you were able to do with the hill; the sheriff's office & astrophysics lab are placed perfectly! Howdja do that?

I came across this by accident one day while fooling around with the leveling tool. I was trying to level out an area around the mountain you see in my pictures. What I discovered was, if you move this tool in and out of the mountain really fast, it changes something that allows you to build structures like you see in my pictures. The game somehow thinks the tool leveled out that area and allows you to build on it. The funny thing is you can put a complete structure “inside” the mountain and watch the people walk in and out of the mountain.

I am always looking for weird stuff like this in games. In “Children of the Nile” I discover that you could make a pyramid base float in the sky. This happened when I was working with the editor one day building a scenario. The best part of that is the workers can actually construct the pyramid in the sky.

The leveling tool will not work on small mountains. You need a mountain like the one that is in my pictures.
Last edited by RJG on Sat May 07, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun May 08, 2011 4:01 am

"RJG" wrote:When SCS was released the BIG problem I saw was that most computers, at that time, could not handle the “great graphics” the game could give them. The majority of the people at that time had to run the game in the “lowest settings” and could not enjoy all the game has to offer. For me, the game has always played well but I build my own systems to handle what some of these games are capable of dishing out. At the time of its release I had whatever the latest technology was and therefore it handled the game fine. When I look back at the system I used then, compared to what I can build today, it is amazing how much more powerful computers have become.

TM has always done this; used cutting edge graphics (We call it Full Immersive TiltedVision™ 3D) that most computers at the time could not handle yet. Even as far back as the original COTN.

It caused players & especially reviewers to hate TM games for the only reason their computers could not handle them. Instead of blaming their computers, they blamed the game.

This is especially true with 2D players who loved the old Impressions CB games, but also Classic SimCity games.
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun May 08, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:49 pm

"Tinkerbell" wrote:TM has always done this; used cutting edge graphics (We call it Full Immersive TiltedVision™ 3D) that most computers at the time could not handle yet. Even as far back as the original COTN.

My system still gets slowdown if I run a city with high particle levels, such as fog, smoke, smog, etc.

nexu

Postby nexu » Fri May 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Very nice city RJG. What about it's economics? if that was enabled.

Return to “General Discussion”