SCS: Destinations. Expansion Pack on May 23?

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
estevoepg

SCS: Destinations. Expansion Pack on May 23?

Postby estevoepg » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:05 pm

This site ( http://www.game.co.uk/PC/Strategy/~r333435/SimCity-Societies-Destinations/ ) has published a pre-order for the first expansion of SCS, for May 23.

True or False? ;)

joe2102001

Postby joe2102001 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 pm

kind of funny I just posted the same question on the EA forum! :D

Decided to come here as that forum is unfriendly and emptying quickly.. :mad:

tickleonthetum

Postby tickleonthetum » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:27 pm

YAY -Come on Millers give us some info, even if it's vague and infuriatingly mysterious!!!

:D :D :D

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 am

It says "114 Days to go". :eek:

smjjames

Postby smjjames » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 am

114 days is almost 5 months, so yea it's an accurate number of days left. If it is real, then where is the usual press release from TM and EA?

What we really need is some information as to what the expansion pack is all about.....

Although the timing (right before summer vacation) and the title certainly suggests something related to tourism.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:33 am

smjjames wrote:Although the timing (right before summer vacation) and the title certainly suggests something related to tourism.

Which hopefully would mean that there will finally be airports and seaports. :o

As much as I like SCS, the lack of airports and seaports is quite bizarre.

smjjames

Postby smjjames » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:51 am

Airports I might understand the lack of, but it coud be possible to somehow mod a building and create coding for airplanes (I'm sure they'll leave the skinning up to the players). They already have zepplins, helicopters and hot air balloons, so the coding is there. You could easily reskin any of those with an airplane, but the behavior would be strange.

As for ports, I really don't understand it either, in fact, most cities are either near or right on the coast or a river or other body of water. It would be easy to create a port city though because the randomizer often creates a sort of bay or inlet, but that's if we had port facilities. They do have that fish market, which is a start....

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:02 am

Re-skinning something that doesn't look even remotely like an airplane in the first place won't make it look like an airplane. Re-skinning is simply the act of changing a building's textures. There are some tricks in re-skinning to create various illusions, but the actual shape depends on the model itself.

What is sorely missing are 3ds Max or GMax plugins to allow modders to edit .xac files. I don't mean to sound too negative here, but to have called SCS the "most moddable SimCity" since its preview stages and then not even release tools to allow for editing of building models for some time after release seems like a failure to live up to repeated promises. That we don't have this option is perhaps the reason for the apparent lack of activity in the modding forums.

On the upside of things, the TM frequently visits the forums and has been responding to requests and are doing a good job at it. :) And, I do recall that it did take some time for Firaxis to finally release their SDK for Civ4 to make it truly as moddable as they claimed it to be (prior to that, modders were stuck with just making xml coding changes and re-skinning). With all this in mind, I am hoping that TM will eventually deliver on the promise of moddability. Of course, this is all likely (and unfortunaely) in EA's ball court...
Last edited by Azeem on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

moxiegraphix

Postby moxiegraphix » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:04 am

It took awhile for the Sims 2 to be moddable to the extent it is now. When the game was first released you could change textures but editing the meshes was extremely difficult. Given time, I imagine SCS may become as easily moddable mesh-wise as Sims 2 is.

aeval99

Postby aeval99 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:38 am

moxiegraphix wrote:It took awhile for the Sims 2 to be moddable to the extent it is now. When the game was first released you could change textures but editing the meshes was extremely difficult. Given time, I imagine SCS may become as easily moddable mesh-wise as Sims 2 is.

That's true, but all the programs that really made modding possible were made by the community, not released by EA. If it weren't for people like Quaxi, RGiles and Numenor, modding would still consist of recolouring t-shirts and slapping a decal on the front of them.

Sim-Maire

Postby Sim-Maire » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:59 am

I say "what good news ! An add-on ! Its not a dead game finally !" :)

I prefer SCS because its spirit is good :o

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Ah.. a leak! Remember the first one and the nasty visitors? Well, here TM is again, waiting to be able to say something. If you recall, they could not hold down the unhappy responses with some data due to contratural issues with EA the first time and probably are in the same situation the second time.

I'm glad there will be an xpack and I am also able to WAIT for something official and not go nuts trying to out-guess them and build fantasies into this leak.

One might assume this will be the xp that has naval and air units and maybe even a few tweaks with roads. My fantasy, of course, maybe not TM's.

I'd love to see this! Meanwhile, we are waiting for patch three to make more "happy campers."
Julia

smjjames

Postby smjjames » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:14 pm

yea, maybe they are waiting until after patch 3 to announce the expansion pack. I'm also waiting for official word myself because sometimes a leak can be a false positive. But since someone ovcer on the EA version of the forums, someone mentioned seeing it up for preorder on various stores in the UK, so there may be some truth to it.

If it is real, then it comes out right on time for my birthday which is on June 2nd :)

mprovancha

Postby mprovancha » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Look, EA hit a gold mine with the sims. The multiple sims expansion packs are very profitable and require much less energy to produce than a true sequel. Using that marketing model, it makes perfect sense to produce societies with the bare minimum of content required to satiate gamers and leave vast open territory to create expansions. Do not be suprised to see that most of the stuff you notice is missing is left out on purpose and was probably already partially in development before the release of the game so that it can be repackaged in an xpac which generates money whereas including it in the base game does not generate money.

It was probably the success of the rush hour expansion that led EA to this marketing model, but they realized they put so much good stuff in there, there was no where else to go. The next step is to make each installment much more limited so they can profit from each individual release AND have more releases which of course includes the initial installment (societies).

There are pros and cons to this model. One is that the game continually improves and your initial purchase, if supplemented by numerous expansions, might create more replayability in the long term. Also, there incentive for the developer to continually improve and fix the original offering. The cons are simply less initial content such as the horrible transit system in the game now and the lack of several noticable buildings. This is just a brief overview of how I figure the game is developing.

JuliaSet

Postby JuliaSet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Please consider the limit of what will fit on a CD.

Please consider the limit of the TIME allowed to complete a contract with its detailed list of inclusions.

Yes agreed, the marketing folks play a big part of what drives gaming releases. They are the ones that have the final say of what is made. The rest of the parties have to find a balance in how to get it all done.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 pm

if it is true the name already suggests the content :eek:

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:22 am

"Expansion Pack" is the key phrase in the PC game industry these days. :o

joe2102001

Postby joe2102001 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:36 am

I was the one that posted that in the forum, at the EA site. The link is over on Simtropolis in the SCS thread. I'll try to find it again and post here. :)

oops its already on here.....
Last edited by joe2102001 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountanddo

Postby mountanddo » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:18 pm

It's kinda sad that this game needs an expansion pack so soon. If I remember correctly, The Sims expansion packs were very far apart at first. Later they started coming too quickly. What this means is that this game will just cost us more in the long run. I can hardly imagine people (myself included) that thought they wasted $50 would want to spend any more money. All an expansion pack is is taking all our complaints about what should of been in the game or what should be working in the first place and making us pay for it. When I buy a game I expect to get more than 2 months of entertainment from it before having to buy an expansion pack. I spent $200 on sims expansions because they enhanced the game not fixed it the way it should of been. Yes, there were a lot of fixes and added suggestions from the community, however, the game is completely playable and entertaining alone without expansion packs if you choose not to buy them. I imagine that this game might become interesting 5-6 expansion packs from now but I'm certainly not willing to pay for that.

What makes everyone think that an expansion pack will make this game any better when it is lousy in the first place? It's an unrealistic expectation.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:24 pm

mountanddo wrote:What makes everyone think that an expansion pack will make this game any better when it is lousy in the first place? It's an unrealistic expectation.

an even better question is why are some people getting upset over a expansion pack that may not even be real for a game that they think is lousy in the first place? o_0

PS they think it will make it better because it will.

Return to “General Discussion”