Game Update #5 Now Available

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm

"tobing" wrote:The new patch seems to be really good, adding all the new features. I have immediately liked the Mod Manager, so it's much easier now to enable and disable the installed mods. :) I also have to get used to the new element of desirability (or so) that makes my often used butcher's shop much less usable now. ;) Hmm.

There's a downside, however: For some people it seems that the game does not work any more, with patch 5, when it has worked fine with patch 4. Any ideas why this is the case? :(

Tobing-
Should be more stable than 4 if anything. Some people had a problem with patch 4 because it came out around the same time as Vista Service pack 1. That seemed to be the culprit, because when they re-installed the game with no patches, it was still crashing.

If you could get a DX diag, that would be helpful- Perhaps post in the tech forum.

Is this the German version or US?

soldyne

Postby soldyne » Sun May 25, 2008 11:52 pm

congratulations TM, you have taken a game that was unplayable for some before and made it playable and at the same time those who could play it before now cannot!

thats right. I installed Patch 5 today and now I can't even get the main game to start up. I get the SimCities Societies Launcher to pop up but when I press the giant "Play" button nothing happens. nothing at all. I have restarted my computer twice. I have tried reinserting the CD and nothing. it was working fine just last night.

well I guess this is the end of Soldyne for SCS. this is also the end of Fable Falls, no game access, no more pics. I am not going to uninstall and reinstall the game, at least not at the moment especially since I don't why it won't work.

any ideas? DxDiag is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Mon May 26, 2008 12:40 am

"soldyne" wrote:congratulations TM, you have taken a game that was unplayable for some before and made it playable and at the same time those who could play it before now cannot!

thats right. I installed Patch 5 today and now I can't even get the main game to start up. I get the SimCities Societies Launcher to pop up but when I press the giant "Play" button nothing happens. nothing at all. I have restarted my computer twice. I have tried reinserting the CD and nothing. it was working fine just last night.

well I guess this is the end of Soldyne for SCS. this is also the end of Fable Falls, no game access, no more pics. I am not going to uninstall and reinstall the game, at least not at the moment especially since I don't why it won't work.

any ideas? DxDiag is attached.

That sound like an extremely odd issue. Can you Alt-tab to see if there is a dialog?

I wonder if rolling back the video drivers would help. Sometimes they fix something for XP and it breaks on vista- or vis/versa.

One thing to check- how fragmented is your drive- it looks empty enough, but you never know.

(This topic might get moved to the tech forum.)

soldyne

Postby soldyne » Mon May 26, 2008 6:06 am

I finally got it to work again. I had to reinstall twice and reinstall the patch. it was not a fun sunday night for me. but, now that I have it working again, I can say that I like the city management screen and the policies.

I also have my work cut out for me now with the new maintenance costs. I have to update my SCS Spreadsheet!

Granma

Postby Granma » Mon May 26, 2008 6:28 am

Absolutely marvellous. I have gone from barely being able to play on low settings with patch 4 to now playing on high settings.Thankyou TM you are wonderful.
Soldyne I'm so happy it's working again purely for selfish reasons.I want more mods.You had me worried for a while.Can't play without you.

Jeff Fiske

Postby Jeff Fiske » Mon May 26, 2008 1:40 pm

"soldyne" wrote:I finally got it to work again. I had to reinstall twice and reinstall the patch. it was not a fun sunday night for me. but, now that I have it working again, I can say that I like the city management screen and the policies.

I also have my work cut out for me now with the new maintenance costs. I have to update my SCS Spreadsheet!

I am sorry that you had so many problems getting it to run, glad you figured it out.

Javokis

Postby Javokis » Mon May 26, 2008 5:37 pm

A few requests for next patch:

-I think the Castle Ruins should be unpleasant - that way I can place graveyards near them.
-It would be nice to have more Catholic religious buildings (Like a Convent?) - more gothic decor as well like statues of Mather Mary along with Angel statues.
-Can you add vampires (that can act like burglars) as another special sim - like ghosts and zombies?

I want to make a gothic vampire city with the Inquisition hunting the vampires down.

Ocram

Postby Ocram » Tue May 27, 2008 3:02 pm

Gothic/Victorian/Steampunk should be a new theme and there should also be an Asian theme also. Vampires would be cool too. A mixture of the three european styles makes more sense than mixing asian buildings with religious American ones.

dreadmime

Postby dreadmime » Wed May 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Will there ever be more themes? I'd love to an old-world style, a tuscany style.. etc... hell, of all people.. *bonks Tilted Mill*

CAESAR DEMANDS WINE, AND I DEMAND ROME.

And maybe Egypt.. but really CoTN never did it for me. But I spent well.. far too much time working on my cities in Caesar. :p

It only just *now* occured to me, that you know.. you created both an Egyptian and Roman City-Builder game.. and then convienently left these two styles out of your "General-purpose City-Builder Game" ...

moxiegraphix

Postby moxiegraphix » Sat May 31, 2008 10:51 am

First of all, awesome update. I really like what you added. It adds a whole new dimension to game play. Excellent work.

I'm noticing my Sims not going to work or even taking available jobs. If I mouse over the job numbers, I am told there is zero unemployment. However, looking at my Sims tells a different story. Several of them are unemployed and looking for work even though there are jobs available and many of my workplaces sit empty or have 1 or 2 employees.

Has anybody else noticed this? I'm noticing I have to place business really close to homes to get Sims to take jobs. I used to be able to space them out a bit more. I never placed them terribly far apart but, now it seems if they aren't practically on top of each other, the Sims won't take the jobs.

Ocram

Postby Ocram » Sat May 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Me too! The first time I played Mended Gap (the city name for the scenario "A Land Apart") I had 2 banks, 3 comunal gardens, 5 blocks of flats, an antique shop, and one other venue but no one went inside any building other than their own homes. They became unhappy quickly and I bankrupt shortly afterwards. That was the second game I played since I installed the patch (the first one was Kettle Lake from the scenario downsize or something). I started a basic level capitalist city and everything worked well and the sims went inside buildings. After that I played mended gap again and everything worked fine.

Bottom Line: I don't think it will happen again.

Jodet

Postby Jodet » Sat May 31, 2008 3:52 pm

"Javokis" wrote:A few requests for next patch:

I want to make a gothic vampire city with the Inquisition hunting the vampires down.

That sounds REALLY COOL !!!!!

mmm11105

Postby mmm11105 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:09 pm

Most of the patch was awesome but than I realized, when I went under landscapes all the flora was gone :mad: :mad:. First the flora doesn't show up when I place it with patch 4 :mad: (Still takes up space though), now I can't choose flora at all. :mad:

Does anyone know what is happening :confused:

mmm11105

figaro_black

Postby figaro_black » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 am

Flora shows up just fine for me. Seen to your settings/graphic card?

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that Societies is rather quickly becoming a favourite game of mine now, with all the patches adding so much to the basic gameplay (let's face it, the game that shipped was...not that great because it was no challenge). Especially this last scenario player is great fun. I don't know of any other game that I play where we as players get so much from the development team without buying something extra. If only all those negative people out there would give it a try, I think they would come to like it just as much as I do just because of the constant changes. Every month it seems, at least, we get something new and exciting keeping at least my interest spiked.

Thank you for all your hard work.

Quantum Reality

Postby Quantum Reality » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:16 am

Ok, uh, ignore this. I just realized it was because I hadn't cranked the speed all the way to high. Heh.
Last edited by Quantum Reality on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quantum Reality

Postby Quantum Reality » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:22 am

Actually even with the speed on high what I've noticed is that the police box blue lights go on "slow" mode between 2 and 6 AM, and then resume their crazy blinking when the game is on fast speed from 6 AM till 2 AM the next morning. Is this to cut down on animations while the game is doing its numbercrunching at 4 AM? (seems reasonable to me, anyway)
Last edited by Quantum Reality on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drivetheory

Updates should improve a game, not make it worse...

Postby drivetheory » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:38 pm

(post deleted by user, moved to new thread)
Last edited by drivetheory on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill A

Postby Bill A » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi All

I'd like to know if there is another way to get update #5 as i'm on dialup and for me to download it would take me 25 hours (I tried it already just to see how long it would take) with a connection speed of 2.75kps( yup lately its been that slow) :(

Any ideas??

Bill A.

phrerick

Postby phrerick » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:55 am

Just tried to install patch 5.

It gave an error and told me to reinstall scs.

Now I am disappointed. But anyway yesterday I was having fun with a nice mountain village.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 pm

Are you playing regular SCS or Destinations? I don't think Destinations would need the patch. If you're with regular SCS, then it could be a localization issue.

Return to “General Discussion”