Who are the viewers?

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
Norm35

Who are the viewers?

Postby Norm35 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:54 am

If I were to go by the number of replies to questions on this forum, I would get the impression that there is practically no one watching it.

But if I look at the View count, some of the thread counts are in the thousands. I am not talking about old threads either. I have been a member for only a few months and at least one of my threads has a viewer count of well over a thousand.

I am not complaining about people who watch but do not participate, whether they just want to watch is their own affair.

But I am curious about them. I would expect a few but not so many!

Who are they?

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 am

Bots mostly. Search engines like Google, Yahoo, and others use various bot programs to "read" the board and catagorize their search entries. Originally none of the bots were identified, but with the later versions of the board software you will almost always see a the major search engines identified in the "who's online" utility. Others are probably spam bots, or others and there are probably a few anonymous human viewers out there.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:53 am

"Keith" wrote:Bots mostly. Search engines like Google, Yahoo, and others use various bot programs to "read" the board and catagorize their search entries. Originally none of the bots were identified, but with the later versions of the board software you will almost always see a the major search engines identified in the "who's online" utility. Others are probably spam bots, or others and there are probably a few anonymous human viewers out there.

Amazing!

That never occurred to me.

I'm a little disappointed. There really are very few watching the forum.

Thanks

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:18 pm

It's nothing to be disappointed about, really. Forum visitation tends to be small in spite of claims to the contrary; most people don't bother posting.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:38 pm

"Azeem" wrote:It's nothing to be disappointed about, really. Forum visitation tends to be small in spite of claims to the contrary; most people don't bother posting.

Plus - the forum counts each time the post is viewed. This post was showing 43 views, I viewed it, exited, and viewed and exited again. Then I refreshed my browser and sure enough - 45 views. (the last two were me viewing it twice in a row)

So if you pop into a post to re-read or edit a post (like I do all the time :rolleyes :) then you will be increasing the views.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:55 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:
So if you pop into a post to re-read or edit a post (like I do all the time :rolleyes :) then you will be increasing the views.

Nice to know that I'm not alone in doing that. Now I shouldn't be anxious about being obsessive. ;)

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:03 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Nice to know that I'm not alone in doing that. Now I shouldn't be anxious about being obsessive. ;)

I probably go in a re-view some of my threads an average of once a day when it is something I am really intent on. :o
(And yes - anyone out there who thinks of asking, I am aware that the board shows if there are any new posts on the thread. I still go and view it.)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:33 am

I would guess that there are quite a few lurkers that watch and read everything but just don't post much. I would guess not 1000's though. :)

:cool:
:cool:

eladimir

Lurking

Postby eladimir » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 pm

I've been guilty of lurking lately so I finally got myself registers and posting like mad :)

TheCuriosity

Postby TheCuriosity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:11 am

I would only assume that there are also people that come here for answers and either find them or not, but either way don't post.

There are also folks, like myself, who feel it is only polite to read through the boards before starting new threads on topics that may already be addressed, as well as get a feel for the culture of the board.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:24 am

Knowing that people are actually reading the threads and looking through the content is good enough. :o

Return to “General Discussion”