SCS fan rollcall

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
pcgamer2

SCS fan rollcall

Postby pcgamer2 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:42 am

seems like this game activity is dieing down, and the posts are really showing. Is it just people not posting or people just left? I want to find out with this.

Let's have a rollcall for still playing SCS! Go, ill start off with myself

I'm here!

swiftfire211

Postby swiftfire211 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm HERE! :D

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Here I am :D

TEP

Postby TEP » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Checking in!

OperaChemistryandLaw

Postby OperaChemistryandLaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Here, and loving it!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:02 am

Here as always. Just a little busy nowadays.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Norm35 is here!

Here is an example of what we were talking about the other day. A forum observation about the large number of thread viewers compared to the small number of forum participants resulted in several indignant replies from people who were too busy playing the game to participate in the forums. Now, here is a request for a count of how many "SCS fans" are still around and we get 6 people who identify themselves and 84 viewers. How many of the 84 are SCS fans and if the answer is none, why are they viewers? Someone commented at that time that he thought most of the viewer count came from bots and were not people at all; maybe he is right!
Last edited by Norm35 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:09 am

well maybe, but you also have to remember in a lot of threads people visit again or edit or w/e, everytime you visit the thread is a new view.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:09 pm

"pcgamer2" wrote:well maybe, but you also have to remember in a lot of threads people visit again or edit or w/e, everytime you visit the thread is a new view.

Well, what conclusion have you come to, 7 fans or 141?

SCSocietiesRulz

Postby SCSocietiesRulz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:29 am

im here! :D just school is getting in the way

MotorStefan95

Postby MotorStefan95 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm am heree

Simtopia23

Postby Simtopia23 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:38 pm

i'm here ;)

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:02 am

"Norm35" wrote:Well, what conclusion have you come to, 7 fans or 141?

bada-bing bada-boom :eek:

From a Marketing stand point that is a very tough question. There are some numbers that are used by insiders of every industry that would go something like this.

For every user that visits a forum there are....
x users that do not ever visit the forums
x viewers that never post but read a specific area
x viewers that never post but read all the threads in a forum.
x viewers that do post (along with some variants (hourly, daily, weekly, etc...)
x viewers that are guests and would, but don't post because they do not want to bother creating an account.
x viewers that are bots
x viewers that are spiders
and many more....

I can remember reading the specifics 10 years ago when I was in the industry. There were about 25 metrics but I do not remember any of the formulas, and I am sure they have all changed since then since then. Especially since the overall percentage of users globally has skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

I really wonder what it's like today, I do recall that back then we did not calculate for trolls and bots specifically they were all dumped with hackers. and there were only about 15 spiders so that had a daily cap.
:cool:

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:04 am

Oh and although I am here I have not played SCS for quite some time now.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:00 pm

I'm BAACK!

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 pm

"PantherX" wrote:bada-bing bada-boom :eek:

From a Marketing stand point that is a very tough question. There are some numbers that are used by insiders of every industry that would go something like this.

For every user that visits a forum there are....
x users that do not ever visit the forums
x viewers that never post but read a specific area
x viewers that never post but read all the threads in a forum.
x viewers that do post (along with some variants (hourly, daily, weekly, etc...)
x viewers that are guests and would, but don't post because they do not want to bother creating an account.
x viewers that are bots
x viewers that are spiders
and many more....

I can remember reading the specifics 10 years ago when I was in the industry. There were about 25 metrics but I do not remember any of the formulas, and I am sure they have all changed since then since then. Especially since the overall percentage of users globally has skyrocketed in the last 10 years.

I really wonder what it's like today, I do recall that back then we did not calculate for trolls and bots specifically they were all dumped with hackers. and there were only about 15 spiders so that had a daily cap.

As a guess, I think the true fan count is a lot closer to 14 than it is to 355. 14 plus 341 is a pretty high variance.

How shall we compensate for bots, trolls, the uninvolved but curious, and the involved but apathetic?

The thread is about 6 weeks old. I would guess that by now, at least half of of the true number has been heard from. If that is a good assumption, there are at the most 30 "fans" left.

One question that remains is what is the definition of a fan?

If it is someone that still plays the game frequently and participates in the forum, "at the most 30" sounds like a pretty good estimate.

If it is someone who plays only occasionally and doesn't participate in the forum, I'll pass.

I will however observe that anyone interested in having this forum continue but has not posted to this thread had better take the time to be heard from or the forum may not be there when they want to post a question at some time in the future.
Last edited by Norm35 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Granma

Postby Granma » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:06 am

Still here.Still check up most days but have had no reason to post.

moonmonika

Postby moonmonika » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:46 pm

I would be a bigger fan if the game would actually play without problems. I count myself lucky if Societies does not crash after 10 minutes and I would be ever so happy if I could get Destinations started.

I love all the mods... although some don't work for me. Keep up the good work. :D

It's a shame that this game has so many flaws. Would be fantastic if they'd bring out a patch. I would even pay for an update just to be able to play Destinations again (played it before the hard drive crashed). :(

fivexakathracieP

Postby fivexakathracieP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm here.
Although I haven't played in a while.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:09 pm

"Norm35" wrote:As a guess, I think the true fan count is a lot closer to 14 than it is to 355. 14 plus 341 is a pretty high variance.

How shall we compensate for bots, trolls, the uninvolved but curious, and the involved but apathetic?

The thread is about 6 weeks old. I would guess that by now, at least half of of the true number has been heard from. If that is a good assumption, there are at the most 30 "fans" left.

One question that remains is what is the definition of a fan?

If it is someone that still plays the game frequently and participates in the forum, "at the most 30" sounds like a pretty good estimate.

If it is someone who plays only occasionally and doesn't participate in the forum, I'll pass.

I will however observe that anyone interested in having this forum continue but has not posted to this thread had better take the time to be heard from or the forum may not be there when they want to post a question at some time in the future.

An idea has occurred to me that might shed more light on how many people are still using SCS and SCSD. It would require the assistance of the TM web staff. Talking people who don't normally post on the forums into responding to polls doesn't seem to work but if users are still downloading mod files, a periodic count of these downloads might tell us something. I don't know if downloads are recorded or not.

If one of the moderators happens to read this posting, it might be in the best interest of TM to respond with some information. Are file downloads logged? Can the dates they occurred be determined? Would it be possible to determine how many are still occurring and post these numbers periodically?

Return to “General Discussion”