How to: Speed up game speed?

For everything SimCity Societies that doesn't fit elsewhere
Blitzer

How to: Speed up game speed?

Postby Blitzer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:11 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to simcity societies and I was wondering if there was a way to speed up the game past the default settings. I'm coming from SimCity, where 1 year could be cycled through in a minute or so, but in this game, it seems to take a minute just to get past 1 day even at the fastest speed. I'm finding myself waiting.....a lot....any ideas?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:57 am

Did you click on the control bars to the right of the minimap? There are several game speeds you can set.

Blitzer

Postby Blitzer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:22 am

Yeah, still very slow even at "fastest" speed. I figured that there might be some mod out there that could do something like what I'm looking for.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:34 pm

If you know XML editing, you could fiddle around with the Constants.xml file (just be sure to have a backup in case).

I'm not sure exactly if it's the right one, but this one might be the section to edit:

<RealTime>
<Value type="int" name="SecondsPerMinute">60</Value>
<Value type="int" name="MinutesPerHour">60</Value>
<Value type="int" name="HoursPerDay">24</Value>
</RealTime>

tobing

Postby tobing » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:02 pm

"Azeem" wrote:If you know XML editing, you could fiddle around with the Constants.xml file (just be sure to have a backup in case).

I'm not sure exactly if it's the right one, but this one might be the section to edit:

<RealTime>
<Value type="int" name="SecondsPerMinute">60</Value>
<Value type="int" name="MinutesPerHour">60</Value>
<Value type="int" name="HoursPerDay">24</Value>
</RealTime>

Uh, no, I wouldn't touch these.

Apart from that, I think it's not a good idea to increase game speed to much. The game's internal workings rely on some time being available to do certain computations. If speed is set too high, then the time available for these computations becomes too short and the computations remain incomplete, which may seriously damage the game play experience, effectively breaking the game. Just be careful with this, and observe closely, how the game and the walkers in particular behave.

Blitzer

Postby Blitzer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 am

I'll take a look around in those files- thanks for the tip.

@tobing - yeah, those variables in particular I would not touch ether (at least not if I found anything better), changing the way the game counts time (and how objects function in relation to internal time) vs changing how fast the game makes calculations are usually 2 different things.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:26 pm

I don't have SCS myself. But since TM developed the game, it may have a game ".ini" file that holds certain game performance information like the ones for Children of the Nile and Caesar IV also developed by TM.

You should be able to locate this file (if it has one) in the computer's My Documents folder. Look for a folder that says My Games or something similar. In that look for a folder that says EA or SCS or SimCities Societies or Tilted Mill.

Keep going until you find the folder that contains files for SCS and open that folder.

If it has this folder and if it stored game info there you might have a file in that folder that has a name such as SCS.ini or SimCitiesSocieties.ini or something along those lines.

If there is a ".ini" file open it using Windows Notepad. It will probably be in text format and display info about the setup of your game. Read through the items and see if thee is a line that says something about "game speed".

If there is one, it will probably have a number after it.

Example, the info below comes from my install of Children of the Nile's "COTN.ini" file:

Code: Select all

Game Bit Depth 32
[color=yellow]Game Speed 25[/color]
[color=yellow]Game Speed Max 250[/color]
Game Unit Limit 500
Game Variant 2
Game Window Height 960
Game Window Width 1280

(The above is from the enhanced STEAM version with Alexandria installed. The original COTN.ini file created by the disc version looks different.)

If you have something like this and it has the game speed line you might try raising the number or lower it and then save the file using it's original name and ".ini" file extension. Be careful not to save it with ".ini.txt" as the extension. If you do simply rename the file and remove the extra ".txt" from the extension.

Load the game and see if the speed is any different.

If all this works then play around with the numbers find a speed you and your computer can handle. Sometimes a small change can make a big difference in speed. You will need to restart the game after making any changes for them to take effect.

It would be a good idea to make a backup copy of the original ".ini" file before you make changes to the one you may have.

All this is a big "WHAT IF", because, as I said, I don't have SCS myself and don't know what files it generates. SCS may not have a ".ini" file. I can't say for sure.

Blitzer

Postby Blitzer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:45 pm

@ Keith: tried what you suggested, there is an ini file but only these options::

IgnoreKB940105 0
Last User Data Name
Starting Keyboard Layout 0
Take BMP Screenshots 0
UseCandidateWindow 0

Modified Real Time here we go! Hope the game doesn't explode.....

Blitzer

Postby Blitzer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Quick update:
Was looking around in the Constants file for the heck of it, found (and how appropriate) a Speed variable under daynightcycle. Changed var 5 aka "Fastest" from 1.6xx to 5 and surprise, everything is moving along much faster with a normal calculation cycle. Now I'll just try jacking it up to say... 30 and see how that goes.

So, now project 2 begins......changing max zoom out level so my face isn't pressed into the ground....

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Does this affect the AI calculations? Modified speed settings often brought about problems with the AI functions in TM's other games (Children of the Nile and Caesar IV).

Blitzer

Postby Blitzer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 am

My impressions are below but keep in mind that I am very new to the game, and I don't really know what "normal" is. If someone with much more experience than myself would like to try this out, that would be a much more meaningful analysis.

But anyway, here you go: For the most part, everything seems ok (working at x30 speed (normal being 1.6xxx for speed 5). However, sim happiness does seem to go down compared to a normal range speed (1-4), and I get barraged by fires (although, the speed is so fast, it might be the normal rate just 20x faster making it seem worse).

Theoretically, there should not be any problems since you are changing the calculation speed, not internal values that game functions are based on. You would only run into problems when your computer can no longer calculate fast enough and starts "skipping" calculations....in theory.

Also, just wondering- do the individual sims moving around mean anything (are they "actually going into the buildings")? Or is it like SimCity where people and cars are just for show, all the real calculations are going on under the hood.

--One more thing, I got robbed for 492 million Sims.......the hell?
Last edited by Blitzer on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:40 am

First rule of SCS - Unlearn everything you knew about SimCity. ;)

Yes, your individual sims do have to fulfill individual wants and needs. They are actually going into the buildings (thus building placement matters a lot). Everything your sims do on the game map is not cosmetic.

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:58 am

Caesar IV would also burst into flames if the player left his game on the fastest speed for too long. The solution is to only use the highest speeds in relatively short bursts.

As I recall, the problem comes from the AI not being able to keep up with the speed and it would essentially make the firefighters "dumber" because there were less clock cycles available to process their routines in the game. So they couldn't do their job properly.

Children of the Nile would become unstable at artificially high speeds. Now the game is "locked" at a speed of 2.5, whereas, before, I could up the speed in the .ini file to 7 and not seem to suffer anything for it.

It depended greatly on the type of processing power the game had available to it. The higher end machines with more advanced CPUs could generally handle the high speeds, while the lower end computers would tend to have more problems.

On my old Pentium 4 computer, I could run Caesar IV in spurts on high speeds. But, if I left it too long I start getting fires. Now on my new Core i7-3770k system I can run Caesar IV on high speed practically 100% of the time without getting fires.

Blitzer

Postby Blitzer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 am

@ Keith: Interesting, wonder if there is a way to turn off fires in normal modes....The strange thing is (and I'm not saying I know how fire fighter AI works in SSSoc), but the only buildings that catch on fire are the ones directly across the street from the fire station......... Going to get rid of the firefighters, see if that "fixes" the problem. It wouldn't be the first time a firefighter turned out to be an arsonist (how's that for realism??).

Keith

Postby Keith » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:36 pm

There I can't help you much. I think there is more to it than a simple "turn off" ability. It would probably require some sort of reprogramming of the game code itself. That would be my guess.

Return to “General Discussion”