"This is sim city" Screenshots

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
mightygoose

Postby mightygoose » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:22 am

NappySick

Postby NappySick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:34 am

^^ Way to go mightygoose , now that looks pretty realistic ;)

BarbulaM1

Postby BarbulaM1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:21 am

Not as good as others here :P . But here is an inter-city suburb in the making. It isn't done, but I figured I would post it anyways.

another part of the same city. (different city plot in the region)

Deever

Postby Deever » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:36 am

Not as good as others here :P . But here is an inter-city suburb in the making. It isn't done, but I figured I would post it anyways.

That's still pretty good!

I see some members have made use of mosaics already.

Sim Nation

Postby Sim Nation » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:55 am

Teh Motherland

obtw teh is how you spell the on teh tinternet.
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer Buy
Last edited by Sim Nation on Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eobet

Postby eobet » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:34 pm

This thread is simply breathtaking in certain places.

dedgren

Postby dedgren » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:08 am

And then there's "outside-the-box" images...

[img][img]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8676/070405generalmap2048io0.jpg[/img][/IMG]

That's a map of my [FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]SC4 region [linkie]
generated from the game and hand-annotated with some additional info.

There's some great pics here in this thread, btw- some I've seen before. Others I'm marveling at for the first time.

David[/SIZE][/FONT]

Artistvrd

Postby Artistvrd » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:52 am

oh my goodness! How do you guys have all that awesome stuff in your game! Please tell me!!

You guys are ture city builders...and that's true simcity right there.
please tell me how I can get some of that awesome stuff!

See, that's what I want to see, not chocolate houses...sorrt TM:[

Also! If you know of anything..ANYTHING to get cars not to disappear and travel more than 1 second? if you know, plase pm me or respond!

Deever

Postby Deever » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:19 pm

Artistvrd,

That's somewhat a general question because I'm not sure where the other folks who posted pictures got their stuff from. They could've gotten their things from one of the many SimCity fan sites. Although you could try checking out Simtropolis.com. and its STEX (Simtropolis Exchange). That's where I got the majority of my stuff (custom content) anyways.

If ever you decide to join that community and you have questions, don't worry. People will be glad to help.

Artistvrd

Postby Artistvrd » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:04 pm

thank you so much!

I might as well take advantage of Simcity 4, as it's the last real Simcity...ever (I sure hope not)

but that's amazing, my interest in Simcity just skyrocketed again (runs to reinstall)

dedgren

Postby dedgren » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:22 pm

Here's contour lines for a planned topo map extracted straight from a SC4 quad.

EDIT: Here, btw, is what I am in the process of using that for.

The map colors and shading are straight out of SC4D.

EDIT2: And here is what I created in the end.

If you are interested in this sort of thing, there's more at my SC4 Mayor's Diary Three Rivers Region [linkie].

David
Last edited by dedgren on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFman00

Postby JFman00 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:33 am

You guys know the Family Guy where Peter says "This is the worst day of my life" and Lois says "Oh, now, there are plenty of people that've had worse days." And then it cuts to Hiroshima on August 6, 1945

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXrKFv5jBIA (20 sec clip)

Yeah, well when I saw what you guys have done. I said oh my god about the same as that. Right before a gigantic llama landed on me.

BourneID

Postby BourneID » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:33 am

hey dead... did you do that topo map by hand... using the terraformer tool for the base overlay?

or is that a function of the tool that I wasnt aware of?

man, I have been away from the community too long....

(reminds self to put away FSX and the 360)

dedgren

Postby dedgren » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:04 pm

Hey John (BourneID)

For you and anyone else who might be interested, I'm going to do a topo mapping tutorial over the weekend at my mayor's diary Three Rivers Region [linkie]. Essentially, though, you're correct. I run a one quad region through SC4TerraFormer, output an RGB image, discard all but the green channel in PhotoShop or PaintShopPro, process it to extract the contour lines, pull the image of the quad "map" from SC4 into the graphics program as a new layer, reduce the weight of the contour lines, then annotate in a third layer. It's actually simpler than it sounds, but it took a long time to work out the particular settings.

For those who that explanation (or the whole mapping thing generally) bored to tears, here's a couple of pics from the Shadow Canyon area.

Have a great one!

David

frndofyaweh

Postby frndofyaweh » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:56 pm

Mine are sooo boring compared to these, but oh well. This is a fairly grid like region view. This one is with no cheats and I am doing land reclaimation at a high cost. Starting with islands away from the mainland, I began filling in the oceans to join the islands.
Last edited by frndofyaweh on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moganite

Postby moganite » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:24 am

Interesting maybe I will post images of the terrains that SC4 is capable of Although you get bugs because the way of the tiles are modeled you can get up to 6000 m with the use of SC4Terraformer. Thats what my mount everest map was about testing the full range as much as anything.

I would be really really disapointed if we go back to perfectly level terrain without features.

NappySick

Postby NappySick » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:03 am

No more SC polatics for me , heres the epi centre of my region .

Insomnia

Postby Insomnia » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 pm

I wish to praise you for the excellent screenshots. Of course, not every SimCity in SC4 has to belong to SimNation. I have modified the interface for private use so SimNation became 'a number of Unknown Persian Colonies' or 'Persia, Overall'.

I express my praise to Simtropolis for the great content, and I hope to join you soon.

NappySick

Postby NappySick » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:12 pm

I cant watch my favorite thread drop .Hope we can make stuff like dis.

Romaq

Postby Romaq » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:58 am

1) The images on this thread are stunning, and they show a sophistication of both the custom content and the artist who used SC4 to create them.

2) SC:S should be capable of showing the same qaulity of content from any angle, not just the fixed-view pre-rendered views of SC4.

3) SC:S *must* have an above view map so something like BourneID's "Cartain's Mountain range" map is simple to create, at least the image content in 'satelite view' and 'street map' view. SC4 couldn't do it because the 'top down' angle is never renered. That's not an issue with SC:S. Let's see some Maps out of SC:S along with the *option* of a ruler for scale and compass rose.

4) If you are quick, you'll catch the Kid TP'ing the house. Now, there isn't much detail to it visually, but it's very detailed on concept. SC:S should not lack for TP pranksters, or other events we can capture from time-to-time.

--Romaq

Return to “SimCity Franchise”