Welcome!

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
Chris Beatrice

Welcome!

Postby Chris Beatrice » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:18 pm

All,
Welcome SimCity fans old and new to the Tilted Mill forums!

I hope you use this venue to share the experiences you’ve had with this remarkable series of games, and to express all your likes, dislikes, hopes, wishes and dreams for the SimCity franchise.

Let us know what the franchise means to you, and what your “ideal” SimCity game might be.

-Chris

sc4ever

Postby sc4ever » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:53 pm

Hello Chris!

First of all I would like to explain what is SimCity for me. SC it's just a part of my life. I've played to all versions. As a child I played for hours to SC, and know as an adult I still play to SC4.

Some people has TV series, movies or books that have mark their life, for me it's a computer game and it's called SimCity. I am one of those persons interested in buildings, construction, architecture, city life, urbanism, photography, travel,... and SimCity has a little bit (or a lot of) those things. Each SC game had new features the old one didn't have, new challenges and of course thousands of hours of good time in front our computers.

What a future version of SimCity should has (whatever is called: SC Societies, SC 5...) should be at least as good as SC4. One of the great things of this game is that it's very open. You can add many new things: buildings, transports, vehicles, ... Millions of them. You can easily see it comparing earlier images of the game and the latest images that some of the ST people posted on the thread "You killed SimCity".

One example: Airports are very simple and unrealistic in the original game, even the Rush Hour pack. Well, in ST there is a pack that allows you to create an airport that could easily beat any MS Flight Simulator X airport.

Several and improved highway connections were made. Light rail transport, or for example river sides, that didn't exist on the original game. I could list thousands of improvements.

SC4 also introduced the Region feature. But it was very simple. For example, if you want to run a city perfectly, you need an airport, power station, water plump, waste plants,... in each city, and we know that it's like that in real life. Real region would also be very wellcomed.

Please, don't make the BAT (or similar) as a separate content, and wait months untill release, its a very important part of the game, I enjoy a lot modelating building and would be amazing to be able to do it from the first day. As well as an easy creator for regions would be amazing, not a crappy window to open a .bmp file that we have to create in Gray scale with PS. Get the terrain even more detailed: Snow, dense woods,... Have you played to Test Drive Unlimited? Sceneary is really big, photorealistic, really well designed and detailed and runs perfectly and smooth on an "old" computer like mine. Take a look at it, because it could perfectly bee some kind of SC city if you take away all the racing and car driving stuff.

Another thing that SC fans are waiting is complex and improved transports networks: roads, highways, railways, underground, airports, seaports, trams,... Freedom to create them, many of them and with a lot of quality. Why? Because they are the base of any city! It's what you get (ALL WHAT YOU GET) when you take away the buildings. Think about a map: Lines (network) and a coloured strange shape (buildings) Thats because the transport network it's so important.

Well I hope I could make you understand what is my thoughts about SC and the future of this amazing game.

Thanks.

P.S.:Sorry for my english, but it's not my first lenguage at all.

Pixelrage

Postby Pixelrage » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:15 pm

Like sc4ever is saying, Sim City isn't a game to the fans, it's a hobby...like having a model train setup in your basement, or something to that effect. The "Show us your..." thread on Simtropolis shows the extent at which gamers have gone in this game, and you can see that the result includes some HIGHLY detailed cities that are only hindered by the limits of the game itself (if it weren't for those limits, then we'd really see some incredible things)...

The way the series has progressed - it has basically gone from bare bones (the 1989 version) to what it is today, adding more intricacy in each new version. That's what everyone expects for the next Sim City - everything we had before, plus a lot more.

The community is the cornerstone of this game, Sim City 4 had nearly no replay value if it weren't for the thousands of add-ons made by community members. Obviously, no dev team would have the time to include everything that gamers want, so this is the optimal solution...

In short, I think that what most people expect are for the graphics to be improved (more detailed, with better shadowing, luminance and reflection if it is to be 3D...or even photo-realistic), and for gameplay annoyances to be fixed, but not subtracted from the previous version.

Hopefully this sheds some light :cool:

north country dude

Postby north country dude » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:54 am

I think I added my ideas in that "other" thread as an example of how to approach this, but when I reread them, They tended to coincide with what sc4ever was talking about, plus some other things the fans may be looking for.

I would like to see an open ended architecture that would allow personal modifications to the game engine.

I think a comprehensive Editor that would allow export and import of user created custom content would make it worth trying.

Since it has been stated that it will possibly be a city simulation of some sort, and given that SC4-Rush Hour tried to address the issues of Freight and Passenger (goods and commuters, whatever) networks, that the game engine for Sim City Societies should improve on this concept.

Transportation networks were a major theme running through the Sim City Franchise as a whole, and because this is of major interest to a sizable portion of the Sim City fan base, some ideas that would merit looking into (within the constraints of current processor and memory technology), would possibly be; Airports with air traffic that actually goes somewhere, Seaports that actually import goods to the city and not just export generic freight, Rail network options that are a little more realistic, and finally how to move all those people and goods to and from specific locations within and without of the city efficiently.

Another idea is having the ability to create certain styles and purposes for the city(ies). Why is the city there? How did it come to be where it is? How large will it be able to grow?

One of the most annoying details about all of the Sim City games so far, has been with the Rail networks. The constant use of double tracked lines everywhere! This is the most unrealistic portrayal of how rail systems work and not enough attention has been payed to it.

Rail companies for both freight and passengers never had that much money, and only double tracked lines where rail traffic was the heaviest. The cost of maintenance on all that double track portrayed in any Sim City game, would in reality drive any Rail Company bankrupt within a few years of service. Imagine what this would to a city budget if realistic costs were applied.

hmmm, on second thought, nevermind.

ncd
Last edited by north country dude on Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

crazykid

Ideal Simcity

Postby crazykid » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:31 am

What is a city simulator exactly? Well, building a city, but in many ways the real life building of a city wouldn't be much fun in a game. As I have seen in City Life, the zonings of the buildings were taken out. When I saw that I was like "wow, this is a little weird, but unique" Simcity has its reputation as a unique style and wouldn't like to see the zoning rules go away.

I liked to budget, lay power lines, lay water pipes, and loved zoning. The road networks seemed to lack and even the transportation options did, but even I wouldn't use all of them. The options took to much space. Most real life transit networks are on the road and would be off the side. Even elevated rail would be above the road. There are many things that can be accomplished, but with how much time?

One thing I hate to see is a game losing some features because of a release date. I could be excited about it coming in January, but if it came out three months later I would see what wasn't accomplished. I honestly wish the "due date" would be erased from the face of the gaming industry.

One of the things I don't want to see going away from simcity is zoning. It is so special that you can actually wait for people to come in instead of plopping where they live. More transportation options would be nice, and road networks would be too, but I think what makes simcity is "zoning".
Multi road lanes would be good and making it easy for Modders would be cool.

Thanks for reading and I hope some of my thoughts contributed to what this game could be. Thanks for being so nice with being cooperative Chris, and all of the Tilted Mill team. ;)

arcan

Postby arcan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:39 am

First : WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW :eek:
I ALWAYS have two games on my computer : Caesar (since the first... No the 4th is installed, but I've got saves from by best C3 on a cd...) and Simcity (since the first too) Incredible that you guys come to work on all my favourite titles! :D

I've taken back playing quite a lot at SC4 a few months ago, and for the first time, began downloading. This is huge and definitely is a must.SC5 has got to be at least as customizable as the 4 (I don't like to change much from the original, but I used the industry multiplier*4, used the NAM...). With maybe easier tools to set or change the buildings properties.

Things like regional play and such must stay, and micromanagement too. Some ideas that some people inserted (some decrees against pollution, for example) would be great.

What I'd like to see is :
First Diagonals. Be it buildings, all roads and so on. Every angles like "city life" would be good but not a must (good idea the had with the self-filling small parts in the angles). And with this, buildings on triangular ground to fit in the angles.

Multi-leve is a must : for easy sunken hihhways, (even being able to build underground highways and roads with parts others than the subway's so that both can cross - I'm thinking SC4 BigDig from simtropolis here), for high bridges under which roads, even maybe roads can be build

Get rid of that CS problem (demand can't be satisfied, no big enough buildings)

Add possibility to link two regions when the border is water. Sometimes I do really miss that possibility and have to build an ugly small island just for that.

Many many many buildings. to my mind, that's the lack of it that killd citylife...
enven small stuff, like walks along the rivers, canals, and so on.

possibility to modify the construction menu, create submenues, etc because after downloading a little (and once you start, you can't stop) you quilckly get huge lists....

Zooming to street-level

Micromanagement HAS to stay. PLEAAAAAASE

European-style roads would be nice too...

What I would hate : cartoon-looking game. The best point is to have buildings that look as real-life-like as possible.

Here's for a start. I think there will be other threads for the rest... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

WOOOOWWWWW Great week-end for me announced! Thanks TM
Last edited by arcan on Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

allan_kuan1992

Postby allan_kuan1992 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:07 pm

there is another thread for requests.

dzekins

Postby dzekins » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Lets start with , Thanks tildemill for that you trying too create new sim city.

So i want in SC that there wos seasons,more realistic grafic,much more buildings,biger land to builda city,new catastrophes(like cunamy,plane crash,virus,wery coold time,and much more)it wod be cool that i can walk in my city and that i cant see what does tourists love in my city,more places for tourists,and i want see from where dos ppl com too my town(it's strange that in SC4 and older SC they just showing up from nowhere.Like other sad much more job need to be don with NAM.Khe i cood type al day things that i want and if you create all thoes things that the game wod be atlist 10gb.Bot that wod be my dream come trou.

I don't know wery god english so i hope you did understand.
And don't gew up, you just need too ask Sim city funs for ideas and all be fain.I hope you well creat new Sim City. ;)

A Nonny Moose

Postby A Nonny Moose » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:34 am

Well, everyone wants more SimCity 4 content or improvement. I do not necessarily want that from Tilted Mill, at least not yet. ;)

Welcome to the SimCity franchise. Until your first effort, Soceities, is released and has some history, we won't know what it is nor what you are made of. :cool:

So, good luck! And don't let those people in the front office let you release a box of bugs just to meet some mythical deadline. Tell them to unpromise it.

Wilfried

Postby Wilfried » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:26 am

A Nonny Moose wrote:Well, everyone wants more SimCity 4 content or improvement. I do not necessarily want that from Tilted Mill, at least not yet. ;)
Basically, it'd be great if TM just left enough modding possibilities to us and only did the important basic work themselves.
Say, there are 255 transit network slots of which TM use about 10 to 15 and leave the other 240-245 free for modding. I'm sure no serious person would expect the game programmers to design tens of different transit networks just to satisfy every single need...

Also, managing different societies within the city is a good thing to some degree, and I'd highly appreciate such features as extension to Sim City. The game definitively has been lacking social aspects so far.

Still, a Sim City game has to be a city simulator, with zones and transit networks being the very core of the city simulated.

Insomnia

Postby Insomnia » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:16 pm

Wilfried wrote:Basically, it'd be great if TM just left enough modding possibilities to us and only did the important basic work themselves.
Say, there are 255 transit network slots of which TM use about 10 to 15 and leave the other 240-245 free for modding. I'm sure no serious person would expect the game programmers to design tens of different transit networks just to satisfy every single need...

Also, managing different societies within the city is a good thing to some degree, and I'd highly appreciate such features as extension to Sim City. The game definitively has been lacking social aspects so far.

Still, a Sim City game has to be a city simulator, with zones and transit networks being the very core of the city simulated.

245 unused slots? That would provide good incentive to buy SCS.

nexusdog

Postby nexusdog » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Chris Beatrice wrote:I hope you use this venue to share the experiences you’ve had with this remarkable series of games, and to express all your likes, dislikes, hopes, wishes and dreams for the SimCity franchise.

Let us know what the franchise means to you, and what your “ideal” SimCity game might be.

-Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the invite, much appreciated.

I'd like to make a request before I start. I, like many others, have my own ideas about what the next incarnation of SC would offer, but instead of writing a lengthy monologue, I'd like some way of constructing my thoughts & ideas. Perhaps you can suggest how best to go about making a design brief doc of sorts, you never know, it could even lead to a more structured way of bringing ideas to the table for us all.

Many thanks.

Oh, incidentally - procedurally generated content. Any plans to adopt this method of in-game content creation & sharing?

Later, dude.

nelzpunk

Postby nelzpunk » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Well first I am so excited, unfortunatley it has been quite some time since Ihave played due to computer issues, so its not fresh in my mind. I have been playing since snes- and was an instant addict.
Thankyou for working so hard on the next sim city!

I would like to see:
-diagonal road option
-keep the zones
-keep micromanage and even add more options like more ordinance possibilities
-seasons
-more unlockables
-a mode like a career possibly where there are goals and a win scenario

And this huge to me, I've been rallying for this on multiple forums
-bringing sim city back to consoles!!!!!! (*ps3 in my opinion is most important)

Thats the gist for now,
Thanks

bandfreak06

Postby bandfreak06 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:43 am

I have played simcity ever since the first simcity came out, and have kept playing it. each time a new one came out it improved in quality and fun. I think societies instead of improving hit rock bottom.
the societies part is pretty cool, but alot of stuff that would be helpfull is missing.
the biggest one with me is no terrain editor
-transportation options
whatever happened to zoning?

eithwer way not worth $50 bucks
good try tough,

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:59 am

Personally, I've felt that the SimCity series has been going downhill after SC2k. SC2k was the real peak of the SimCity series for me - it was simple (there's that dirty word again :rolleyes: ), it was engaging, and it was really easy to get into and become addicted to. SC3k was a disappointment. SC4 was just a snore-generator designed only for the religiously devout and not for those who actually want to "play" a frickin' bloody game. The cynic in me says that the disappointment of SCS is just the next logical step in the SimCity series. :rolleyes: Even if a "true" SC5 were made, if it followed the trend and path and progression (or should I say "regression"?) of SC3k to SC4, then I'd say even the beloved Maxis would just make it unplayable for those who aren't totally obsessed with the series. After playing SC4 and *trying* to find it somewhat entertaining, my only thought was just how bad can SimCity become?

The classic Impressions' / Sierra city-builder series at least became more fun with each later installment in the series.
Last edited by Azeem on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamMoore11

Sim City Ideas/Suggestions

Postby AdamMoore11 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 pm

I personally love SimCity 4. Sim City Societies is great in many different ways, but it lost a lot of the complexity in the earlier games. I'm a creative person so one of the things that I like is the variety of ways one can create a city using the different tools etc. Here are some basic suggestions

Re-think the entire grid system!
Even in SC4 the restriction of the grid system is frustrating at times. Most real cities have diagonal and curvy roads. Not being able to place these makes the game very simple and elementary. Have you played Cities XL by Montecristo? The game has its own set of problems but it did get rid of the grid system almost entirely which allows for a lot more freedom when it comes to creating.

Public Transportation!
Not everybody drives. When people do drive they mainly drive on busy streets. The rush hour expansion pack was so much fun because of the realism in the transportation mechanisms. However there was a problem with people not using the freeways.

Terraforming
The ability in SC4 to create your own land was genius. I miss that!

Intricate Governing.
Remember in the earlier games when you would increase your population you would get titles like metropolis or capital city and so on? This is a great way to make it work on a regional scale.

Listen I play simcity4 almost everyday I've played Sim City Societies aswell and am now dabbling with Cities XL. I have a lot of suggestions on how to make this game more fun and exciting and to appeal to a younger simpler as well as a more complex and enthusiastic user. So those are only a few suggestions

Return to “SimCity Franchise”