TM Employees, please look here. Big idea for a future SimCity.

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:38 pm

"Sim Nation" wrote:My hordes will beat your hordes any day of the week .. :D

I missed this , we should hook up play some 2v2 , or w/e be fun .I play civ 4 online regularly .

I like it but I'm no wiz at it :D

I don't think I would be much of a challenge lol :rolleyes:

Deep Thought

Expansion packs

Postby Deep Thought » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:59 pm

The first one would probably be named "Problems".
Is there something all societies have in common, then it's problems. Wars, starvations, traffical jams, CO2 emmisions, high crime etc.
And it is your job to find a way to solve them. So the main additions for this simulator is scenarios. How to recover from a disaster, solve a....well, and of course, more buildings and chemical results. More modifications, and maybe perhaps, a new social value. What is it then? Spookiness? Health? Banana Eating? Probability? We will see.

EP 2; "Individuality"
More detailed Sim Information. More, more, MORE!!!!

Well, tell me if I forgot something: But, I say it again, only constructive critics.

Sim Nation

Postby Sim Nation » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:23 pm

"King Faticus" wrote:I like it but I'm no wiz at it :D

I don't think I would be much of a challenge lol :rolleyes:

Stop crying and just come and play :D ,il be there allday today .
My nick will prolly be Evil Dictator :D although i have a few , but if you play as KF il easly find you in the lobby . Or look for me in Blazing ffa ,s

We play together ,i dont want to kill you :D , we will rule the world together :cool: , and if you need help il help you . i can show you builds for most nations that are pretty solid . I usually play random nation in the ffa ,s which makes for a tough game when the others are choosing their countries carefully, we all know some nations have better advantages than the others .

I understand if your scared :p but my offers there if you up for it ..
________
Iolite Vaporizer China
Last edited by Sim Nation on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 pm

NEVER!! :eek: :D
I actually don't have it installed because a few unmentioned and expensive .. 2d and 3d art programs take up a LOT of space and I only have a few gigs left :(
COTN C3 and SL are the only games I have installed although I might find a way to make room for SCS since I did buy it.. never tried to install it though :eek:

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Stick to the topic, woud you? I would like to hear ideas from you, and how your city would be like.

If you are a TM employee, please answer in this thread, I'm dying for an answer from you. [please]

Akodis

Postby Akodis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:32 pm

"Deep Thought" wrote:Stick to the topic, woud you? I would like to hear ideas from you, and how your city would be like.

If you are a TM employee, please answer in this thread, I'm dying for an answer from you. [please]

I would like more individuality for the sims. I would like some sims to be naturally depressed and harder to cheer up, while others are more cheerful and less likely to become unhappy. A few might be bipolar and their mood swings would be more extreme. This would be above and beyond the kind of home they live in.

They should also have individualized preferences for particular jobs and venues. Some might be alcoholics. Some might be deeply religious. Some might be bookworms, mallrats, gourmands, sports fans, etc. Some naturally happy sims might even prefer to stay home instead of visiting venues.

Workaholics might be happier spending extra time at work.

Just an idea. It might be really hard to program something that complex and run it on existing hardware, particularly as populations get larger.

The current game is also missing a critical crime statistic, common to some degree in every major city in the real world. Murder.

smjjames

Postby smjjames » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:20 pm

"Akodis" wrote:I would like more individuality for the sims. I would like some sims to be naturally depressed and harder to cheer up, while others are more cheerful and less likely to become unhappy. A few might be bipolar and their mood swings would be more extreme. This would be above and beyond the kind of home they live in.

They should also have individualized preferences for particular jobs and venues. Some might be alcoholics. Some might be deeply religious. Some might be bookworms, mallrats, gourmands, sports fans, etc. Some naturally happy sims might even prefer to stay home instead of visiting venues.

Workaholics might be happier spending extra time at work.

Just an idea. It might be really hard to program something that complex and run it on existing hardware, particularly as populations get larger.

The current game is also missing a critical crime statistic, common to some degree in every major city in the real world. Murder.

I wonder if they left out the murder stastistic to keep the rating to E10+. I agree with you on that point, although they don't neccesarily need to make an animation of a murder happening

As for the rest of your idea, doesn't it take a supercomputer or at least a really specialized computer that would be beyond the price range of most people to simulate that stuff?

Anyways, while we are still talking about stastistics here, the crime chart really needs to show a more accurate picture or what is going on because it is harder to tell just how much crime is actually going on in a certain period of time if it shows only all of the crimes reported, criminals arrested, etc. I don't mind if those stats were kept and placed elsewhere, but what would be good is a more accurate 'snapshot' of how many recent crimes have happened, how many arrests, etc, happened more or less in real time.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:04 am

Murder was left out in all previous SimCity games as well. Quite odd considering that you can kill off your sims with disasters anyway.

I'd like to see an implementation of the social ladder system that "Children of the Nile" employed. People can move up and down the social rank depending on their prosperity or education. Peasants start at the lowest, but can move into the middle class by becoming shopkeepers (and they can revert to farmers or they can even become beggars if they remain too poor). For example, in CotN, you need to educate your elites in order to get scribes assessing taxes.

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:43 am

"Azeem" wrote:Murder was left out in all previous SimCity games as well. Quite odd considering that you can kill off your sims with disasters anyway.

I'd like to see an implementation of the social ladder system that "Children of the Nile" employed. People can move up and down the social rank depending on their prosperity or education. Peasants start at the lowest, but can move into the middle class by becoming shopkeepers (and they can revert to farmers or they can even become beggars if they remain too poor). For example, in CotN, you need to educate your elites in order to get scribes assessing taxes.

You can find that in City Life. ;)

panikattak

Postby panikattak » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:57 am

Societies is really lacking on enough feedback. I know EA wanted to stay away from what has been termed "spreadsheet" gameplay that's part of other SC's, but unfortunately, without statistics, it's hard to gauge what's going on and how effective something is. Histograms and more detailed statistics would be great. And it's too bad, as this situation is starting to illustrate, that the game needs to be culled in a way to make it more suitable for children.

Sim Nation

Postby Sim Nation » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:24 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Murder was left out in all previous SimCity games as well. .

Murder/Homocide was in sc4 . If your fast and lucky you could actualy see the crimes being commited :eek: .

Maybe the sims of scs have evolved to the next level of existance where barbaric crimes like murder ,dont exist anylonger .

City life , il wait see what the scs expansion brings before i give up and buy CU 2008 , although i do admire MC ,due to the amount of effort alone that they seem to be pumpimg into CU2008 .

KF ,i suppose what youve never tryed you dont miss . Maybe nows the time to consider a 2nd pc . i have three , a dedicated games machine , a machine for work ,that has max ,etc installed , and a older pc i kept hold of, for goofing around,surfing the web ,but im now down to just one mouse ,i can easily burn out 4-5 mouses a year , lazer mouses are good but they dont last long imo ,often they end up looking like they just done the Paris/Dakar.
Anyway you missed out on a serious days gaming , also you missed an exclusive chance to aquire my own Tech Map,or my no bronze/no iron/no ivory tech map , that many online civ4 players would giv their right arm for :p ... I not just got Civ4 , i got warlords and beyond the sword :D
________
SQUIRTING EBONY
Last edited by Sim Nation on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Deep Thought wrote:You can find that in City Life. ;)

I've only played the demo of City Life, but I didn't see much economic interaction between social classes. CotN had a unique economic system so it made all social classes interact with one another endlessly.

Ocram

Postby Ocram » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:07 pm

If you educate fringes you get Radical Chics; if you educate Blue Collars you get Suits; if you educate Suits OR Radical Chics you get Elites. Fringe or blue collar to elite takes a LONG time. It is by far faster to swith out jobs to the higher classes.

Deep Thought

Wisp

Postby Deep Thought » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:20 am

Have you ever heard of the WISP value?

If you don't, it is like HDI, but much more exact. It has 40 (!) different social indicators, such as the gap between rich and poor, enviromental protection, average grades, happines level, average EQ and IQ, average lifetime, percentage employment etc.
It genneraly diffines how good the people in a special city/country/community lives.
It is yearly measured by the Swedish Statistics Central Firm, I think. It was at least founded by Richard Estes, Pensyllvania Institute.
According to SSCF, the nordic countries gets the highest places, while US wind up around 30th place. One of the reasons is that the US has no public health care system from the tax payment, plus that the gap between rich and poor is quite big. US also is involved with high CO2 emmisions and high use of weapons.
WISP says for Weight of Indicators of Social Progress.
So, to my swedish friends, I'm not aiming on whipped cream (Visp on Swedish=Whip on English).
And I'm neither aiming on the monster from WoW (That poped up when I was searching for it in Wikipedia).
WISP is the ultimate indicator on how good the society is.

joe2102001

Postby joe2102001 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:02 am

Intriguing. So we are not socially progressive because of high CO2 emissions? Sounds biased, although I can't argue the healthcare, it is bad, and the middle class is slowly disappearing. I'm going to have to look into that, it sounds interesting. :)

Deep Thought

Enviroment and Weight on Indicators of Social Progress

Postby Deep Thought » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Higher fossile fuel consumption= Higher CO2 emissions= Warmer planet= Climate-based disasters more often and intensive= Higher damage cost= Less money layed on things good for the society= Lower WISP value

Also:
Higher fossile fuel consumption= Higher emissions of smoke, dust etc.= More smog and acid rain= Worse enviroment= Lower WISP value

How hard is it to understand?

Self, am I engaged of enviromental protection and that the carbondioxide is with in the game, is one of the main reasons for me to prefer SCS before SC4.

smjjames

Postby smjjames » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:38 pm

there are suppoused to be stuff like hiking trails in the expansion. whether that will be 'roads' or a building though, I have no idea, it had better not be a 'building'. So with stuff like nature parks (also mentioned), the environmentalists here will definetly enjoy this.

Also, the hiking trails and stuff should be available to the sims of your city, not just tourists. I don't know about elsewhere, but in the US we have hiking trails all over the place and theres some near many cities.

joe2102001

Postby joe2102001 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:12 pm

I am very much looking foward to the ep for SCS it sounds like it will add quite a few cool featurew! Especially the airports... :D

Deep thought, its not hard to understand at all, you just have to look at all statistical information objectively. Its interesting, because stats can be interpreted in many different ways to argue a politically motivated goal. For example the Wisp that you are reffering to doesn't take into account population ratio to CO2 emissions. The U.S. has over 300 million people, the majority of the CO2 emissions come from cities with a small percentage of that. Thus negating the studies results. Of course a country with a population of 300 million is going to have higher CO2 output than a country with 40 million people thats a given. (Not defending our output of CO2) just wanted to point out the lack of objectivity in it. However places like the middle east have an even higher output of CO2 than the U.S. and thats in countries with a population of just a couple of million. There are so many variables in accurately presenting that information that any definitive information should automatically be suspect because its next to imposible to take into account all of them. As for the warmer climate its also possible that the testing of thousands of nuclear warheads throughout the 20th century by several countries is playing a major role as well. Ultimately the issue is with the World's output, all the nations of the world need to change their ways to have a significant effect on it. ;)

Deep Thought

Postby Deep Thought » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:03 pm

The point with that I stated about the WISP value, is that I want it to be in SCA.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:34 pm

I'd rather have a simcity that I play instead of having the game play itself. I don't want some advisor laying out my waterpipes or my fiber optics or my electric lines and certainly don't want an advisor laying out my train routes.

Nope, I'd rather play the game myself then have the game play itself.

Return to “SimCity Franchise”