Open Source SimCity

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
Ocram

Open Source SimCity

Postby Ocram » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:41 pm

As some of you may know, SimCity Classic has been made open source and is part of the One Laptop Per Child as Micropolis. There are also other open source city builders and city simulators. These include OpenCity, LinCity and LinCity-NG, Mobility, and others. Furthermore, the guys at Simtropolis have been working on their own City Simulator: Simtropolis-1000. If anyone wants to say anything about open source city builders, modding SimCity, or the franchise in general, please keep all posts kind and do not insult. You are most welcome to say one is better than the other as long as you do it in a positive manner and do not result to anything rude.

I hope I put this in the right sub-forum.

RemixedCat

Postby RemixedCat » Sun May 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Great ideas!

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun May 24, 2009 4:48 pm

the thing is about open city builders, its nice most are cross platform, but they all suck compared to the commercial ones.Opencity has a nice background, but it moves to slow.Lincity-NG is complete, but it really honestly isn't that good.Just in general opensource games have always lagged behind commercial, and its sad because opensource does pretty well in browsers, office, operating systems, etc.Im not saying cloning as clones suck, but give some cool features to the game to make it fun and not basic.Maybe open source teams for the projects should look at the simcity and cities XL wishlists on the boards and try adding some of the things.

RemixedCat

Postby RemixedCat » Mon May 25, 2009 12:04 am

the CXL forums are such a mess right now. MC can't get a damn thing right with the release. They can't even release an FAQ on time. How in the hell would they manage the game and the MMO aspect of it.

if you also have an MMO it would need 6mo-1yr beta to find all the bugs.

I expect that game to be hella exploited and full of holes at the MMO end.

Think too much is on thier plate with thie PO MMO and they might cancel it.

How are they going to organize the servers and stuff?

There is no word at all about anything and they are pretty tight lipped and not making much new screenshots, vids, or anything. they just reuse the same ones from february and not much elese.

damn the CB genre has some messed up things happening.

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon May 25, 2009 8:17 am

Seems that Simtropolis-1000 is a dead project.

Generally, open source projects are really slow, and most of the time art is more of a problem than programming. Same goes for smaller individual projects...

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:28 pm

"tobing" wrote:Seems that Simtropolis-1000 is a dead project.

Generally, open source projects are really slow, and most of the time art is more of a problem than programming. Same goes for smaller individual projects...

please explain why most linux distrobutions have 6 month release cycle, often offering more then vista did over xp?Also how firefox is moving faster the IE? i do agree with individual projects, they go way to slow, but opensource does work when a lot of people pitch in.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon May 25, 2009 4:55 pm

Individual projects slow and shrivel up when people seek out to re-invent the wheel.

tobing

Postby tobing » Mon May 25, 2009 5:40 pm

I said "generally slow", and that applies to the vast majority of open source projects. As for linux, distributions, firefox, OpenOffice and the like, there are numerous paid programmers working on those projects. I guess that the most work is done by these and students at university, and not hobby programmers. There are always exceptions, of course.

fortuente

Postby fortuente » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:40 pm

"pcgamer2" wrote:please explain why most linux distrobutions have 6 month release cycle, often offering more then vista did over xp?Also how firefox is moving faster the IE? i do agree with individual projects, they go way to slow, but opensource does work when a lot of people pitch in.

Linux distributions invariably have corporate backers alongside the individual contributors. Companies like IBM, Novell, Sun, etc. Other companies were created specifically for their distributions like Canonical (Ubuntu) and Red Hat. They provide code and full-time developers.

Some non-OS projects also have backing from people with financial interests to see them succeed and have a "rapid" development cycle. Think Sun with OpenOffice and VirtualBox and the support Wine gets from companies like CodeWeavers and TransGaming Tech.

Games have pretty much zero support because game publishers (generally speaking) do not support the open source movement like, for instance, server manufacturers support OS development.

Return to “SimCity Franchise”