So Depressing...

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:36 am

By that logic, every Star Wars game is a SEQUEL to Star Wars then? Final Fantasy Tactics must be a SEQUEL to all Final Fantasys? Civilization: Revolution must be a SEQUEL to Civilization IV?

I don't suppose you've heard of the word "spinoff." Have you? Apparently too many of the hardcore fanbase haven't.

Fact of the matter remains that the number 5 isn't in the title.

Now, I will say that EA failed big time in their promotion of SCS and it's the reason why SCS could not live up to its full potential. EA's failure here is that they tried advertising to the wrong crowd. Had EA advertised SCS more to a casual gaming crowd, it probably would have done far better. Hardcore fans apparently hate any form of deviation or innovation for that matter.
Last edited by Azeem on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

dedgren

Postby dedgren » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:14 am

My SC:S disc became a drink coaster about a year ago. I've posted the reasons why in other threads on this site, and I won't rehash them here. I do have to say this, though. I come by this site every few months to see whether anyone has ever decided to move on past the re-education prisons, candy-cane lampposts and street mimes to focus on the things in the game that had potential. Sadly, I see that this has not happened.

I always seem to check in shortly after someone has taken a shot at Sim City 4 "fanatics" and the "religion" they practice, apparently because they are believed to be forces that kept SC:S from ever reaching its potential. I read these posts with a degree of bafflement- what does the SC4 fanbase, which is admittedly is both large and fairly dedicated to the game, have to do with the market failure of SC:S? A lot of us bought the game to check it out- what were we supposed to do when we found it wanting: not tell anyone? Lie and say we thought it was great; why don't you buy a copy too? That's just not how the world works.

SC4, by the way, is doing just fine. Remarkable fine, in fact, for a six year old game that EA has not seen fit to upgrade or otherwise pay the least bit of attention to since 2004. That's not a shame for anyone but the fans- for EA, the game, which remains in the top 10 seller list, represents almost pure profit. It costs the company just the money to print a disk, print a box, and then whatever is required to distribute it. Tech support from EA? Don't make me laugh. The company knows that the community provides better tech support than it ever could anyway.

Perhaps that's why EA didn't "promote" SC:S. Why kill off or even do anything to diminish a community that is the equivalent of the goose that lays the golden eggs? City builder games probably don't really appeal to the "casual gamer." A thriving and vibrant user community, however, does. I can say with confidence that many, many members of sites like Simtropolis, Sim City 4 Devotion and other fansites around the world participate not because they play the game every day- they do so because their purchase of the game provides them with a ticket to one of the widest and most interesting gaming communities on the web. The possibilities afforded by that participation are endless.

I respect Tilted Mill a lot for letting this forum remain a place where strong opinions can be voiced. As I noted at the start, I felt like SC:S offered some potential, in particular in the area of extensibility, and I credit TM for that. I have since bought other games created by TM, and have found them both enjoyable and well-made. But sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. SC:S just isn't up to snuff, and painting all the lipstick in the world on a pig doesn't turn it into something else.

David

Quantum Reality

Postby Quantum Reality » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:32 pm

I think the main problem is that the modding community is hampered by a few things:

1. The mod manager seems to be a bit flaky.
2. The structure of XML files changed between pre-patch 5 and patch 5, so in effect modding has to be done along parallel tracks, meaning twice the work. I don't think most people can be arsed to deal with this.

I think the biggest revival that could take place would be kicked off with a patch 6 for SCS and a patch 1 for Destinations, or perhaps a combined Uberpatch which patches both SCS and Dest for existing known issues and which can seamlessly take mods from all 'generations'.

I think at that point the game will be a lot more viable. :)

EDIT -

If I can offer a few words of wisdom from the Freelancer community, one thing that really helped was when some people put together a broad-based mod that effectively patches existing known issues in that game. It's called the QuickFix 1.0, and corrects bugs in the .ini files for Freelancer. In addition, it inserts decrypted versions of the .inis, which the game has no trouble reading, making modding a lot more accessible.

Now, to SCS's advantage, XML files are by their nature not encrypted, so we can all see the "nuts and bolts" of the game files. :) What I suggest is that someone with the expertise identify known issues that can be corrected by altering the XML files, and release this as a "mod base", which others could be built on.

Just a thought. :p
Last edited by Quantum Reality on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kitsuen

Postby kitsuen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:01 pm

"dedgren" wrote:My SC:S disc became a drink coaster about a year ago.

David

I don't get that... yeah sometimes my game freezes... but usually after I've been playing a while... and yeah, it can be irritating, but i really like this game...

I like creating a city building by building, creating interesting cities without roads or factories ... cities right out of a distopia sci-fi novel ... cities with zombies, hula dancers or whatever ... the choice is mine. I like the building actions that give me further control over every aspect of my city. I like the different types of roads and the different types of people.

With the addition of Destinations ... It just got better.. if i choose the pyramid, with tourism I get a 30 point bonus in education, Dracula's Castle offers a 20 authority and 10 creativity.. which is awesome... say your building a society needing lots of spirituality... start a city with stonehenge.. with tourism that plus 30 spirituality ...

The scenarios range from easy to (pull-out-your-hair) hard ... as they should... but again fun, fun, fun. The trophies are my favorite. I just won the Jack of all Trades trophy in hardcore which opened up nightmare... and still enjoying the game.

yes its not simcity 5, but it wasn't meant to be... its more like simcity 2000 when you could place buildings (in terrain edit mode i think... its been a long time) in your city as well as do zoning grids... to make your city more visual appealing ... well perhaps you didn't but i used to place condos on the shoreline indivually and disliked when that option was removed

anyway the point of this little rant is this... not everyone hates this game, not everyone is frustrated with this game... and we want to post and ask questions and download mods... but if your only reason to visit this site is to bash the game please dont...(and anyone who has been using thier game disc as a coaster for the past year is not currently playing the game, nor are they looking for advice or mods on the game) ... go start your own anti-simcity societies website and stay off the offical forum. I do thank you for not rehashing ALL the reasons you now use your game disc as a coaster, but you have apparently posted them several times in other threads, so aren't you done. Isn't it time you went to forums of games you enjoy and let go of all this stress. Those of us who enjoy the game will enjoy this board much more.

Kit

CaboUppom

So Depressing

Postby CaboUppom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 am

im 15 and i do that all the time. if ure going through a stage of stress then it can lead to depression. try talking to a good friend, if ure going through something that is hurting u. therez always an explanation to why someone cries. sometimes it just feels better to let it all out.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 pm

"Schwichtenberg" wrote:You do not understand what I mean.

I know that the game is not Sim City 5. I don't care about it. I care about the game has Sim City in his name, and it is following SC4, so it is a SEQUEL.

And yeah it's too bad, for them, they are losing fans and money

How are they loosing Fans?

They gained me as a fan,
I dislike regular Sim City - its boring
Tried 1, 2, etc. - dull
And I do enjoy a chellenging game, but I also enjoy flexibility and creativity.
Socieities is the first of the 'Sim City' franchise that allows for that.

SC Societies is the only one I tried and liked
I recommended it to friends and family,
Two other people I know have started playing it because of this.

I will say that by using the name "Sim City" they projected the idea that this would be like the other Sim City games. People who expected that were let down, and understandably upset that they did not get what they inferred they would from the game title, it perhaps should have been marketed as "Sim Socieity" which would have been enough of a tie in to get them the attention they wanted, without SC fans getting the wrong idea about what the game was going to be like.

But a true fan of any franchise would accept this and move on to the next Sim City. If a person abandons something because of one percieve 'mistake' then that person can hardly be said to be a true fan.

Where the gam failed is it was marketed wrong, and thus was recieved harshly. EA saw no reason to continue to support a game that recieved such negative reviews, and thus abandoned the project. As game bugs were found, without any support, the game floundered and recieved even more negative reviews. The game is tremedously fun and entertaining, at least to me and many others.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

Merry Christmas!
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:11 pm

You do realize that the original post was made over a year ago, do you? :p And also, the post preceding yours has virtually nothing to do with the topic. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement on SCS, however. :D

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:19 pm

"Azeem" wrote:You do realize that the original post was made over a year ago, do you? :p And also, the post preceding yours has virtually nothing to do with the topic. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement on SCS, however. :D

Better late than never :)

Simtopia23

Postby Simtopia23 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:40 am

"Azeem" wrote:By that logic, every Star Wars game is a SEQUEL to Star Wars then? Final Fantasy Tactics must be a SEQUEL to all Final Fantasys? Civilization: Revolution must be a SEQUEL to Civilization IV?

I don't suppose you've heard of the word "spinoff." Have you? Apparently too many of the hardcore fanbase haven't.

Fact of the matter remains that the number 5 isn't in the title.

Now, I will say that EA failed big time in their promotion of SCS and it's the reason why SCS could not live up to its full potential. EA's failure here is that they tried advertising to the wrong crowd. Had EA advertised SCS more to a casual gaming crowd, it probably would have done far better. Hardcore fans apparently hate any form of deviation or innovation for that matter.

EA has really tried to just convince the casual gamer and the hardcore has just eliminated with phrases like "this is not a simcity!" I think the basic problem also lies in the gameplay of SCS.

not invite him to play hardcore and the basic version was terribly easy, here we wanted more challenge from the start and try to create more realism to the game.

In this way, the hardcore have complained of everything in my SCS while some aspects of the game are very original but if combined with gameplay that is based on a unique way makes the game too different from the other SimCity.

and EA in a few months has left everything without trying to answer these criticisms.

Furthermore, if this were not enough the game freezes every 5 minutes.

I like the game despite being a fan of SimCity, but I admit that at first he had displaced SAs and deeply disappointed with the update you are a little 'risen again, however, say that this game is better than SC4 not tell anything, reigns and SC4 even cities xl was actually quite a flop because he has promised to be the heir of SC4 and city life is really an updated multiplayer really poor and expensive.

The problem then is that to make a worthy of the SimCity series we wanted only the Maxis working on this series for 20 years and knows what the hardcore look.

simcity 4 after the series became a cult any attempt to divert the topic would wreck the game though they were good with SimCity Creator for the city to join issue with the gameplay of SC4 and I think this should be the hypothetical idea for a SC5.

Return to “SimCity Franchise”