Can EA be persuaded to resume SCS?

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
Quantum Reality
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:06 pm

Can EA be persuaded to resume SCS?

Postby Quantum Reality » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:16 am

Re: this post, we apparently have an orphaned game situation where Tilted Mill nominally still supports SCS through these forums, but can no longer issue patches etc.

So, can EA be persuaded to issue future patches that can clean the game up somewhat and make it a pleasant game experience for more people rather than a bit of a gamble? :)

Azeem
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Hetepsenusret

Postby Azeem » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:53 am

Has EA's reps even popped in here for just a post? No. Do they care? Probably not.

Moral of the story - have nothing to do with EA and just move on. SCS is a fun game, but as far as things are right now, it's as good as dead. We can still play it, make retextures, do a few little fun things with it, but I strongly doubt EA would ever try to pick this up again after dropping the ball so many times.

pcgamer2
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 am
Location: California

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:43 am

the real patch for Sim City is here http://www.citiesxl.com/

Rnett
Posts: 1593
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:21 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Postby Rnett » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:53 pm

"pcgamer2" wrote:the real patch for Sim City is here http://www.citiesxl.com/


Dont let EA get their hands on it, then it be worthless. :eek:

pcgamer2
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 am
Location: California

Postby pcgamer2 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:56 pm

i think monte cristo made sure they had laser security to keep EA away :p

Azeem
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Hetepsenusret

Postby Azeem » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:10 pm

I have to say I'm still really skeptical of Monte Cristo. Mostly because I'm still bitter over their lack of support for Medieval Lords, which I paid the full $49.99. :rolleyes:

Right now, they're the lesser of two evils in my view.

pcgamer2
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 am
Location: California

Postby pcgamer2 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:23 am

what happened with medieval lords? looks like a fun game to me looking at gamespot screenshots, always wanted to try a medieval builder

meowsh
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:28 pm

Postby meowsh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:21 pm

i personally can't wait for CitiesXL!! :D

one thing that really impresses me is how much attention Monte Cristo has paid attention to the community on the CitiesXL website. they've addressed a lot of concerns that city-building fans have had and they are always welcome to new suggestions. b/c of this, the game looks very promising. :)

i also like the fact that they are making sure the game will be able to run on older systems and still have amazing visuals, especially since my computer is in need of a desperate uprgrade :p

Azeem
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Hetepsenusret

Postby Azeem » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:12 am

pcgamer2 wrote:what happened with medieval lords? looks like a fun game to me looking at gamespot screenshots, always wanted to try a medieval builder


Lots of things. Buildings may downgrade after a while (even after you've satisfied all their requirements!), meaning that you can build up a big city upgraded to the max only to have everything devolve, leaving you in the red. :mad: No patch for this as far as I'm aware... Unit AI for your military is terribly clunky and controls for military is frustrating. You have to "dispatch" them to get them to do anything. You could have enemy hordes at your doorstep but your own soldiers may not even bother engaging in combat! :mad: The game's built-in campaign is fairly dull and you can't really do much with the editor to make interesting scenarios. :( For the most part, the game's graphics are pretty but the gameplay really lacks a soul. Also, the support for Medieval Lords was nil. It's as if Monte Cristo just released Medieval Lords and forgot it even existed. :mad:
Last edited by Azeem on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rnett
Posts: 1593
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:21 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Postby Rnett » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Took the money and ran. Boy, there's a new concept for the software industry....... :rolleyes:

tobing
Posts: 950
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: Bruchsal/Germany
Contact:

Postby tobing » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:49 am

Interesting, so I did some googling and what I found is this: Medieval Lords was developed by Monte Christo in 2004, and the publisher was Pointsoft. Pointsoft ceased to exist in 2005... so my guess is that it is now just not clear who owns the rights to do anything with Medieval Lords. It's certainly not automatic that the rights go back to the dev studio when the publisher goes bankrupt or whatever.

On the site of Monte Christo, there are only few references to the titles the made in the past. There's a whole list of them, but no link to official sites (which may exist or not), no links to any patch infos, support forums or whatever. This is a little (well, more than a little) disturbing to me, looks like they indeed make their games, and as soon as they are up to something new, the older games are forgotten. I hope they don't do the same once Cities XL is out...

pcgamer2
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 am
Location: California

Postby pcgamer2 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:29 pm

monte cristo's website is dead http://www.montecristogames.com/en/index.php since 2007, and city life 2008 Edition seemed to be a secret release, there is no website as i remember (there was a place to get free upgrade but i forget) but was just a title sold, but luckily, City Life 2008 Edition is stable out of the box even on vista.Seems like the only radar project for MC is here http://www.citiesxl.com/

dedgren
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:18 pm
Location: Wasilla, Alaska

Postby dedgren » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:46 pm

If you'd just kept playing this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimCity_4

you wouldn't need no stinking patches.

Beware, btw, the happy, shiny facade that MC has built up around CXL. At the end of the day, the game is simply a free pass into your wallet. Besides, who wants a computer game that plays you, instead of vice versa.

My 2c.


David

pcgamer2
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 am
Location: California

Postby pcgamer2 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 pm

SimCity 4 isn't the standard end it all best of all game, simcity 4 wasn't polished at all and needed mods to save it.the game is 2002-2003 technology, so the graphics have fell behind you might as well just play simcity 3000, simcity 3000 personally was my favorite, but its out of steam now, luckily i have it for my itouch which brought life into the same game again.SC4 had a lot of things that could of been better, for example the cities are smaller with pop there is no way to construct a city of San Francisco or Hong Kong, unless you break it up in the regions, but they are all cities, not one unified city, each plot on average can support a 100k pop or less (yes some offer higher and some have got some nice numbers, but is the city realistic enough and have any open space?

I miss the petitioners in SC4, they were a great add on 3000, the news ticketer and all that were awesome, it was realistic, people brought their issues to the mayor, you can decide what you want to act on or ask an advisor if you should follow the petitioner, plus the news extra in SC3000 was funny, sc4 was snooze. the maps can be customized to an extent in sc4, but it was too limited all the grass was the same, it was just elevation water and trees, there was no way to make a tropical forest, or a lush valley, or a desert, its all vanilla.

Azeem
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Hetepsenusret

Postby Azeem » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:48 pm

I thought SC3000 was superior as well. The petitioners were a nice touch; SC4 just had those annoying Sims \(basically a shameless plug for EA to sell "The Sims"). SC3000 Unlimited with region-specific graphics and landmarks was icing on the cake. The thing I liked about it the most, of course, was that it's the only city-builder in the West (there are city-builders in Asia, but only in Asian languages) where you can really build a miniature Seoul (which the game incidentally came with! :D ) or Shanghai.

FreakAboutSims
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:36 pm

Postby FreakAboutSims » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:59 pm

I wish EA would continue this game and SimCity 4. I would love to see more expansion packs for both of them. Perhaps if we band together we could probably convince them. However this would take some commitment and would require writing hundreds if not thousands of letters. It would require letting them know that there is still a fanbase for both these games and would sell money if they continued them.

OperaChemistryandLaw
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:56 am
Location: Nowhere Special

Postby OperaChemistryandLaw » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:36 am

I loved the petitioners in SC3000 too. I'm a little surprised they weren't reintroduced in SCS!

If EA ever revives SCS, they should have the Sims form Interest Groups that can impact your city in even more ways than individual sims can. You know the temperance advocates? Maybe if you have enough they can mass together to shut down bars for longer periods of time... and normal sims can align themselves with political parties, secret societies, etc... anything to make the game more complex.

Fairfield
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 am

Postby Fairfield » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:04 am

"pcgamer2" wrote:SimCity 4 isn't the standard end it all best of all game, simcity 4 wasn't polished at all and needed mods to save it.the game is 2002-2003 technology, so the graphics have fell behind you might as well just play simcity 3000, simcity 3000 personally was my favorite, but its out of steam now, luckily i have it for my itouch which brought life into the same game again.SC4 had a lot of things that could of been better, for example the cities are smaller with pop there is no way to construct a city of San Francisco or Hong Kong, unless you break it up in the regions, but they are all cities, not one unified city, each plot on average can support a 100k pop or less (yes some offer higher and some have got some nice numbers, but is the city realistic enough and have any open space?

I miss the petitioners in SC4, they were a great add on 3000, the news ticketer and all that were awesome, it was realistic, people brought their issues to the mayor, you can decide what you want to act on or ask an advisor if you should follow the petitioner, plus the news extra in SC3000 was funny, sc4 was snooze. the maps can be customized to an extent in sc4, but it was too limited all the grass was the same, it was just elevation water and trees, there was no way to make a tropical forest, or a lush valley, or a desert, its all vanilla.


You forgot its lack of multiple save-states per city. Multiple save-states are practically a given in PC games, and when one as confusing as SC4 doesn't have them, it's an outright crime against fun.

"pcgamer2" wrote:SimCity 4 isn't the standard end it all best of all game, simcity 4 wasn't polished at all and needed mods to save it.the game is 2002-2003 technology, so the graphics have fell behind you might as well just play simcity 3000, simcity 3000 personally was my favorite, but its out of steam now, luckily i have it for my itouch which brought life into the same game again.SC4 had a lot of things that could of been better, for example the cities are smaller with pop there is no way to construct a city of San Francisco or Hong Kong, unless you break it up in the regions, but they are all cities, not one unified city, each plot on average can support a 100k pop or less (yes some offer higher and some have got some nice numbers, but is the city realistic enough and have any open space?

I miss the petitioners in SC4, they were a great add on 3000, the news ticketer and all that were awesome, it was realistic, people brought their issues to the mayor, you can decide what you want to act on or ask an advisor if you should follow the petitioner, plus the news extra in SC3000 was funny, sc4 was snooze. the maps can be customized to an extent in sc4, but it was too limited all the grass was the same, it was just elevation water and trees, there was no way to make a tropical forest, or a lush valley, or a desert, its all vanilla.


You forgot its lack of multiple save-states per city. Multiple save-states are practically a given in PC games, and when one as confusing as SC4 doesn't have them, it's an outright crime against fun.

"FreakAboutSims" wrote:I wish EA would continue this game and SimCity 4. I would love to see more expansion packs for both of them. Perhaps if we band together we could probably convince them. However this would take some commitment and would require writing hundreds if not thousands of letters. It would require letting them know that there is still a fanbase for both these games and would sell money if they continued them.


When, oh when, are the collective consumers of the world going to learn that things aren't that simple? (Well okay; it did for Family Guy; but I'm starting to wish it hadn't.) I hate to burst your bubble, but the sooner you learn the name of the game in business, the better you'll be at doing what really works. To an extent capitalists do have to care about consumer opinions, but if they can afford to, they measure them more by money recieved than actual fan sentiment--especially EA; who have yet to ever answer questions of mine with anything more than a robot--and the fact is that SCS sold poorly, thanks in large part to its poor reviews slamming it for not being Sim City 4 (if I'd reviewed SC4, I'd have slammed it for not being at all up to snuff with what people have come to expect from , and now deserve from PC games, but that's another story.), and I wouldn't be half-surprised to learn that the most money it ever made was from being packaged as part of the Sim City Box. That's how I obtained it, and I actually was originally buying it for Sim City 4. The real important point, though, is that EA is never going to read this reaction. They're going to read the opinion of "professional" game critics and assume that everyone who bought that package must have done it to play the "superior" game, and enjoyed it, too.

Now, Tilted Mill, they might give us more attention. Unlike EA, who have more important things to do, like swimming through their giant money bin, and focusing on milking more cash out of people with another Madden game almost identical to last year's, Tilted Mill hasn't made all that many games, and still seems to care about their own entry into the Sim City franchise. I'd like to see if they could help would-be modders out by accepting models they submit and converting them into those horribly inconvenient XAC files. They can choose to say no, but then they'll be condemming their baby to death that much sooner. If they agree, we might have a rennaissance on our hands that makes Tilted Mill want to make another addition of their own to the series, and then, if we buy a lot of that, EA might snap to attention. The be-all-and-end-all point, however, is that businesses work on the principle of money.

"OperaChemistryandLaw" wrote:I loved the petitioners in SC3000 too. I'm a little surprised they weren't reintroduced in SCS!

If EA ever revives SCS, they should have the Sims form Interest Groups that can impact your city in even more ways than individual sims can. You know the temperance advocates? Maybe if you have enough they can mass together to shut down bars for longer periods of time... and normal sims can align themselves with political parties, secret societies, etc... anything to make the game more complex.


Only if they add a Special Sim class that attacks temperance advocates first, on account of I hate them.
Last edited by Fairfield on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Azeem
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Hetepsenusret

Postby Azeem » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:57 am

"Fairfield" wrote:

Only if they add a Special Sim class that attacks temperance advocates first, on account of I hate them.


Already doable in SCS. It requires some modding of the XML files.

Simtopia23
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Postby Simtopia23 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 pm

"Quantum Reality" wrote:Re: this post, we apparently have an orphaned game situation where Tilted Mill nominally still supports SCS through these forums, but can no longer issue patches etc.

So, can EA be persuaded to issue future patches that can clean the game up somewhat and make it a pleasant game experience for more people rather than a bit of a gamble? :)



ehm no, SCS was only a spin-off of a simcity series and the results is totally fail.

i think that maxis must develop a new Simcity 5 with gameplay of Simcity 4 and 3d graphics.


Return to “SimCity Franchise”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests