Can EA be persuaded to resume SCS?

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
JaredBGreat

Well...

Postby JaredBGreat » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Its not going to happen. EA has already moved onto their new SimCity game, and abandoned all previous versions (note, SCS was really more a spin-off, but was officially part of the series, so the new Maxis title is the successor / new money grab as far as they're concerned). Its too bad, I often imagined if a Societies II were to come out, and advanced as much as Simcity did between classic and SC2000 it would have been an amazing game.

Unfortunately, TM can't do anything about it now; they may have developed but EA holds the rights. Really no one can and have any suggestion that its part of the Simcity series or use any SC derived terms like "Sim" for a character, and TM probably couldn't even use "Societies" as a title for fear of being sued for "implying" (accurately) that is was connected to SCS. Its all very unfortunate. The only thing that could be done would be for someone (TM? Someone else?) to develop something new that advance a similar "social engineering" concept.

I've actually started trying to develop a game on my own inspired by SCS, in much the same way the Minecraft is inspired by InfiniMiner but a totally different game or that CitiesXL, City Life, LinCity, and the whole city-simulation genera is inspired by the Simcity series. I have my own ideas I've been turning over for years of how the social engineering genera should advance (not at all in the way City Life does it) and bud away from the city simulator genera per se. Unfortunately, this is probably a fools hope, and I have my own doubts as to if I can even come close to pulling it off. It occurs to me that I'm trying to play software engineer without really being formally trained in programming and not that skilled at coding, and this is causing a lot of headaches, unhealthily late nights, and confusion over thing that may be the result of small silly errors I don't think of -- not to mention making attempt to code my idea unduly slow. And unfortunately I don't think anyone else will pick up my memetics based idea. Don't hold your breath for it.

"Simtopia23" wrote:ehm no, SCS was only a spin-off of a simcity series and the results is totally fail.

i think that maxis must develop a new Simcity 5 with gameplay of Simcity 4 and 3d graphics.

That is exactly what Maxis should have done -- SC2000 / SC3000 / SC4 with high-res 3D graphics and a highly positonable camera. Unfortunately they didn't. But they have their problems, notably EA for bosses.
Last edited by JaredBGreat on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:15 am

Maxis did develop a SimCity 5 and released it as the latest iteration of the series. And they bungled it - the latest SimCity received a very negative reaction given all the problems associated at launch, the numerous bugs, and the requirement for online-only play.

JaredBGreat

Postby JaredBGreat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Maxis did develop a SimCity 5 and released it as the latest iteration of the series. And they bungled it - the latest SimCity received a very negative reaction given all the problems associated at launch, the numerous bugs, and the requirement for online-only play.

Yeah, Maxis blew it this time -- what they should have done is very different from what they did do. It seems, dispite some of the negative reviews of SCS that it was far better recieved than SC-5. So, would EA be willing to allow the other approachs? To let TM develop further in the SCS derection and simply act as publisher for a cut of the proffit (since they own the right)? Or just assume that the whole series is over and cheaper not liscense any new Simcity games? I'm not too hopeful on that one. And even if they make next to nothing, I don't see EA giving up legal rights to anything :( .

Unfortunately my wish for a SCS-2 seem pretty unlikely to ever come true.

JaredBGreat

Postby JaredBGreat » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Well, I hope this isn't seen as spam, but here is a video I did explain the directions (more than one) I'd like to see the series move in: http://youtu.be/apRsJxAhVPA

I know most people probably won't want to listen me drone for 14 minutes while flying over a bunch of coloured boxes, but....

Return to “SimCity Franchise”