Is there going to be another SimCity?

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
SCSocietiesRulz

Is there going to be another SimCity?

Postby SCSocietiesRulz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:16 pm

I dont know haha but i would like one. More Like SCS but I really don't mind. But since SCC im not seeing any new SimCity Ideas. Does anyone know haha :confused: :D

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:22 am

geez, there is a lot to this.For one, it looks like EA got a kick in the rear end, and they may drop sim city.But in one sense, sim city hasn't been declared dead, despite the low fan fare here.SC4 lost maxis and EA support pretty fast right around 2004 the community was on their own.Maxis/EA released SC4 in 2002, then followed up by sim city 4 rush hour in 2003, then deluxe edition in 2004.SCS was released in 2007, followed up by simcity box and destinations in 2008, then support cut off in 2009.Sim city 3000 was released in 1998, followed up by the stand alone deluxe version in 2000, and support was cut off around there and let the community go on. So simcity series dead? Better chance then Flight Simulator http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/rumor-control/909119209/26756726/microsoft-cuts-slice-xbox-division-fatally-stab-flight-sim.html?tag=rumor-control;title;1 and C4 with Sierra studio closed.

Plus, it has only been 2 years, simcity new releases average 4 years or just around so for something new release.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:07 am

EA is probably more interested in Sims 3, especially seeing how they've gone as far as putting up an enormous, obnoxious ad on the side of a high-rise (literally encompassing the entire wall) at the corner of Wilshire and Westwood in Los Angeles. :rolleyes:

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:30 pm

"Azeem" wrote:EA is probably more interested in Sims 3, especially seeing how they've gone as far as putting up an enormous, obnoxious ad on the side of a high-rise (literally encompassing the entire wall) at the corner of Wilshire and Westwood in Los Angeles. :rolleyes:

You live in LA?

I assumed with your knowledge of the Eastern cultures you were somewere in Asia. :o

SCSocietiesRulz

Postby SCSocietiesRulz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:54 am

"Azeem" wrote:EA is probably more interested in Sims 3, especially seeing how they've gone as far as putting up an enormous, obnoxious ad on the side of a high-rise (literally encompassing the entire wall) at the corner of Wilshire and Westwood in Los Angeles. :rolleyes:

I saw that! that was pretty crazy!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:44 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:You live in LA?

I assumed with your knowledge of the Eastern cultures you were somewere in Asia. :o

Yep, I'm in LA area.

I lived in Korea for two years. :)

SCSocietiesRulz wrote:I saw that! that was pretty crazy!

It's a pretty dumb ad - it's just a giant 3-d diamond!

justjames

Postby justjames » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:21 pm

EA knows a cash cow when it sees one and the Sims fans have been a consistent source of healthy cash flow for the better part of a decade, happily spending their money on anything with the Sims name slapped roughly on the side with paste or spit. The last time I looked into it, there had been enough copies of the original The Sims sold to build a bridge from Earth to the Moon with the installation media.

The Sims fans don't seem to be particularly demanding when it comes to coding. From what I've read on Gamespot and other review sites, the greater portion of the Sims 2 series was riddled with bugs and shipped pretty much to market unmodable.

Sims 3 seems from all I have read to be even less capable of modding and is generally regarded as a waste of $50, yet the last time I was at the shops they were sold out of it and the guys looked markedly relieved when I clarified I was only interested in SimCITY not that dress-up time for Barbie business. I am reminded of that phrase often attributed to P T Barnum, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Not that I am exempt from bone-headed buys... four words can encapsulate that easily: Master of Orion 3... 'nuff said.

With the economy in the shape it is, I'd be surprised if most of the anticipated titles make it to market. People seem to forget that the whole point of making money is risk, one has to put up a stake and gamble it works. This safety first mind set in business finance is good for investors )sort of) but stagnates the economy.
Last edited by justjames on Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:42 am

With EA's latest issues with its fans and its publicity stunts, one can get a pretty idea at how (un)intelligent they've become.

Return to “SimCity Franchise”