Simcity Societies:Destinations

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Simcity Societies:Destinations

Postby MotorStefan95 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:18 pm

I am thinking of getting SCSD this month but dont know anywhere to get it. I was going to get Simcity Box, but theres not really much sense getting SCS again. Could someone like, explain the good and bad points of this game so that I can consider to get it or not.

Thanks in advance,

MotorStefan95

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:45 pm

"MotorStefan95" wrote:I am thinking of getting SCSD this month but dont know anywhere to get it. I was going to get Simcity Box, but theres not really much sense getting SCS again. Could someone like, explain the good and bad points of this game so that I can consider to get it or not.

Thanks in advance,

MotorStefan95


There are new copies of Sim City Box available on Amazon.com for as low as $15.00 and used for as low as $10.00 (not counting shipping)

Destinations offers probably close to 100 new buildings including houses, venues, and some workplaces.
It also adds some new travel buildings: Taxi Stand, Helicopter Pad, Aitport, Seaport, most of which serve to bring travelers into the city or help them move around.

Most venues (new and old) gain a 'payment' amount which is the amount of money paid into the treasury for each toursits or 'traveler' to visit that venue.

It also removes the old Tourist special sim, instead breaking them up into around twelve ro so different types of travelers (spring breaker, day tripper, executive, gambler, etc)

Each traveler seeks a combination of two to three different things (Liesure, Dining, Entertainment, Worship, etc). These work just like happiness, decreasing each day and are increased by venues of the proper type.
So keeping your travelers happy requires quite a number of venues. Especially if you try to please them all.


Each type stays for a lmited time (typically a week) and then leaves (hopefully happy)

An unhappy traveler decreases the chance of that type returning while a happy one increases it.

The game also adds Landmarks, Accomodations, and Resorts

A Landmark is a feature that comes pre-loaded on the map, for a fee (typically $2,500) you can convert it into a venue. After a number of your workers have visited it, you can convert it into an attraction for travelers and gain income for each torists that vists the venue.

Accomodations are venues that only travelers will visit, these are places for the travelers to spend the night. Without these a traveler will leave early, and probably unhappy.

Resorts are special accomodations that usually satisfy three or more traveler needs at once. In addition you can affiliate venues with the resort, which makes the venue usable only by traveler but increase the satiusfaction given by the resort.


For example a restaurant that satisfies a traveler's dining requirements (providing +5 dining) is affiliated with a resort. The restaurant remains the same (except now your workers can't visit it) and the resport gains +1 dining satisfaction for the association. If you associated 3 different dining venues the resort would provide +3 dining, etc.

Your city gets a destination rating based on many things (polution, worker happiness, 'attractiveness' - which is based on numerical values assigned to buildings so its not a matter of pretty you think it looks). The higher your rating (from 1 to 5 stars) the more travellers you can attract. And some buildings require a certain rating to unlock them.

You can build a city with almost no workplaces, relying only on tourism to fund your coffers.

All in all I think it is a fun addition.

Known Problems: (that I have encountered)
The farmer special sim fails to work properly in Destinations: Fortunately there is a fix
Modded Restaurant Buildings: Because the 'restaurant' category is eliminated in Destinations, and replaced with 'Dining' an older mod that uses the restaurant category may not work properly. Again a simple mod file can fix that.
Gamblers won't Leave: Sometimes gamblers (and less frequently other travelers) get stuck in your city and simply will not leave, despite being miserable and unhappy.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Postby MotorStefan95 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:02 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:There are new copies of Sim City Box available on Amazon.com for as low as $15.00 and used for as low as $10.00 (not counting shipping)

Destinations offers probably close to 100 new buildings including houses, venues, and some workplaces.
It also adds some new travel buildings: Taxi Stand, Helicopter Pad, Aitport, Seaport, most of which serve to bring travelers into the city or help them move around.

Most venues (new and old) gain a 'payment' amount which is the amount of money paid into the treasury for each toursits or 'traveler' to visit that venue.

It also removes the old Tourist special sim, instead breaking them up into around twelve ro so different types of travelers (spring breaker, day tripper, executive, gambler, etc)

Each traveler seeks a combination of two to three different things (Liesure, Dining, Entertainment, Worship, etc). These work just like happiness, decreasing each day and are increased by venues of the proper type.
So keeping your travelers happy requires quite a number of venues. Especially if you try to please them all.


Each type stays for a lmited time (typically a week) and then leaves (hopefully happy)

An unhappy traveler decreases the chance of that type returning while a happy one increases it.

The game also adds Landmarks, Accomodations, and Resorts

A Landmark is a feature that comes pre-loaded on the map, for a fee (typically $2,500) you can convert it into a venue. After a number of your workers have visited it, you can convert it into an attraction for travelers and gain income for each torists that vists the venue.

Accomodations are venues that only travelers will visit, these are places for the travelers to spend the night. Without these a traveler will leave early, and probably unhappy.

Resorts are special accomodations that usually satisfy three or more traveler needs at once. In addition you can affiliate venues with the resort, which makes the venue usable only by traveler but increase the satiusfaction given by the resort.


For example a restaurant that satisfies a traveler's dining requirements (providing +5 dining) is affiliated with a resort. The restaurant remains the same (except now your workers can't visit it) and the resport gains +1 dining satisfaction for the association. If you associated 3 different dining venues the resort would provide +3 dining, etc.

Your city gets a destination rating based on many things (polution, worker happiness, 'attractiveness' - which is based on numerical values assigned to buildings so its not a matter of pretty you think it looks). The higher your rating (from 1 to 5 stars) the more travellers you can attract. And some buildings require a certain rating to unlock them.

You can build a city with almost no workplaces, relying only on tourism to fund your coffers.

All in all I think it is a fun addition.

Known Problems: (that I have encountered)
The farmer special sim fails to work properly in Destinations: Fortunately there is a fix
Modded Restaurant Buildings: Because the 'restaurant' category is eliminated in Destinations, and replaced with 'Dining' an older mod that uses the restaurant category may not work properly. Again a simple mod file can fix that.
Gamblers won't Leave: Sometimes gamblers (and less frequently other travelers) get stuck in your city and simply will not leave, despite being miserable and unhappy.


WOW. Thats a very detailed description of the game(I fact the most detailed one I have found yet LOL). Is there still a free play option so that you can make unusual cities and waht not.

Is there something different about downloading mods or is it exactly the same as SCS
Last edited by MotorStefan95 on Tue May 04, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Had to write a bit more

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:51 pm

"MotorStefan95" wrote:WOW. Thats a very detailed description of the game(I fact the most detailed one I have found yet LOL). Is there still a free play option so that you can make unusual cities and waht not.

Is there something different about downloading mods or is it exactly the same as SCS


All modes are the same (freeplay, basic, etc)
I think there are a couple of new scenarios

Downloading mods is pretty much the same except localization files
Any files in the Localization folder and its subfolders will need to be copied or moved into the correspinding folder in the game directory.
Very easy to do.

:o - I certainly make alot of typing errors when I post those long-winded rants.

Edit:
I forgot to mention
5 new society types - each with its own trophy
First Class - catering to executives and gamblers - similar to capitalistic society
Family Fun - catering to those seeking leisure and entertainment as well as children travelers - similar to Fun City
Forced Relaxation - Sort of a cross between authoritarian and fun city - If 'Big Brother' opened a theme park
Adventure - for thrill seekers, great for haunted towns since thrill seekers enjoy being scared by ghosts
Spiritual - Contemplative society... with tourists.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Postby MotorStefan95 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:02 pm

I forgot to mention, im from the UK and cant find the game ANYWHERE. I have been searching for the game 2 days before I made this thread. So if any UK users(if there are any) who know where to get this game please respond. Ive tryed searching on amazon,game.co.uk, hmv, play.com and even EBAY. Is there a Simcity Societies Deluxe edition. If so is it the same as scs or doses it have scs and scsd in the one box.

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 pm

"MotorStefan95" wrote:I forgot to mention, im from the UK and cant find the game ANYWHERE. I have been searching for the game 2 days before I made this thread. So if any UK users(if there are any) who know where to get this game please respond. Ive tryed searching on amazon,game.co.uk, hmv, play.com and even EBAY. Is there a Simcity Societies Deluxe edition. If so is it the same as scs or doses it have scs and scsd in the one box.


Try the American site http://www.amazon.com/

There are a couple of on-line storesthat offer it to the UK for around £25.00
I'm not sure if that includes shipping.

This site, YesAsia.com, says they offer free international shipping on this product (£23.00)

Or, you can purchase a downloadable version of destinations from EA for about £15.00

For a comparable price (~ $20 american or around £15.00) you can get the Sim City Box. Although I am not sure how you would make out after international shipping costs (assuming they will ship to the UK).
Box edition includes original game, all patches, destinations, sim city 4, and some other stuff.
Even if you don't use any of it; in most cases it is cheaper or the same cost than Destinations alone.

There was a release called SimCity Socieities Delxue which was both the original SCS and the Destinations expansion. Although I haven't found anyone or anywhere that still offers that for sale.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Postby MotorStefan95 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Ok, I am getting simcity box of eBay from Canada with no additional shipping fees. The problem is that I probably won't get it for two weeks.I've heard that there is a volcano in the game. Is this a new DISATER or is it just for fun. It would be awesome building a city on free mode and then watching a volcano DESTROY loads of it. I am thinking of making a story as soon as I get Destinations(with a ffew tweeks to my city). I am not sure how it is going to turn out because this will be my first simcity story. Good luck on your mod packs Midrealm
Last edited by MotorStefan95 on Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:35 pm

"MotorStefan95" wrote:Ok, I am getting simcity box of eBay from Canada with no additional shipping fees. The problem is that I probably won't get it for two weeks.I've heard that there is a volcano in the game. Is this a new DISATER or is it just for fun. It would be awesome building a city on free mode and then watching a volcano DESTROY loads of it.


Its a Landmark - upgradable to a venue -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Postby MotorStefan95 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:01 pm

I hope that this ash cloud from the Iceland volcano dosent interfer with the shipping of my game or with my holiday in July

MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Postby MotorStefan95 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:11 am

My game finally came yesterday (14th). When I saw the size of most of the new buildings I was like WOW.

Azeem
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Hetepsenusret

Postby Azeem » Sat May 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Good luck trying to fit the Airport in. :D

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:29 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Good luck trying to fit the Airport in. :D


And before you use the terrain flattening tool, be sure to save.
That thing works like an indescriminate piledriver and doesn't ahve an 'undo' feature.

MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Postby MotorStefan95 » Sat May 15, 2010 6:42 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Good luck trying to fit the Airport in. :D

I have fitted it in for a few of my cities but it was very hard considering that this city was very mountainous. ;)
"MidrealmDM70" wrote:And before you use the terrain flattening tool, be sure to save.
That thing works like an indescriminate piledriver and doesn't ahve an 'undo' feature.

That terrain flattening tool annoys me so much when you flatten a bit of land you didnt want to. They should have added an undo option before abandoning the game. :mad: :p

MotorStefan95
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 pm
Location: The UK

Postby MotorStefan95 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Before I forget to ask, how is the power pack coming along.

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:30 pm

"MotorStefan95" wrote:Before I forget to ask, how is the power pack coming along.


Almost done - one more set of textures

Azeem
Posts: 3678
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Hetepsenusret

Postby Azeem » Sun May 16, 2010 4:46 am

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Almost done - one more set of textures


Hydrothermal Plant textures will be ready in a few days.

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:05 pm

"MotorStefan95" wrote:I have fitted it in for a few of my cities but it was very hard considering that this city was very mountainous. ;)

That terrain flattening tool annoys me so much when you flatten a bit of land you didnt want to. They should have added an undo option before abandoning the game. :mad: :p


You can edit some of its features in the constants, as far as radius, height, etc. I've seen it in there but haven't toyed with it enough to find out what is or isn't possible.

Simtopia23
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Postby Simtopia23 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Try the American site http://www.amazon.com/

There are a couple of on-line storesthat offer it to the UK for around £25.00
I'm not sure if that includes shipping.

This site, YesAsia.com, says they offer free international shipping on this product (£23.00)

Or, you can purchase a downloadable version of destinations from EA for about £15.00

For a comparable price (~ $20 american or around £15.00) you can get the Sim City Box. Although I am not sure how you would make out after international shipping costs (assuming they will ship to the UK).
Box edition includes original game, all patches, destinations, sim city 4, and some other stuff.
Even if you don't use any of it; in most cases it is cheaper or the same cost than Destinations alone.

There was a release called SimCity Socieities Delxue which was both the original SCS and the Destinations expansion. Although I haven't found anyone or anywhere that still offers that for sale.



i've some questions about buy SC BOX to amazon.

there's only an offer at 19,96£ but could i know how much this game in euro???

because i would pay this game in euro.

MidrealmDM70
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: USA, Arkansas

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:06 pm

"Simtopia23" wrote:i've some questions about buy SC BOX to amazon.

there's only an offer at 19,96£ but could i know how much this game in euro???

because i would pay this game in euro.


According to this site: http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

20£ comes to just under 23.25 Euro

Of course monetary exchange rates can change from day to day

Simtopia23
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:50 pm

Postby Simtopia23 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:30 am

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:According to this site: http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

20£ comes to just under 23.25 Euro

Of course monetary exchange rates can change from day to day


ok but Amazon accept euros or not?

PS: Simcity societies destinations is in multilanguage?


Return to “SimCity Franchise”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest