Widescreen resolution/Windowed mode?

Discussions, suggestions and comments about the SimCity franchise in general
Barcewaffle

Widescreen resolution/Windowed mode?

Postby Barcewaffle » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi,

I recently installed Simcity 4. I use a widescreen monitor. The game works fine, but everything is obviously stretched. All of the resolutions in the graphics options are for non-wide monitors.

It's probably impossible to make it play as widescreen, but I would at least like to be able to force it to play in a window rather than full-screen so that it's not stretched.

It must be possible to do this, any ideas?

My OS is XP pro.

Thanks.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:30 pm

You might get more responses from SimTropolis or other SimCity 4 sites; this is the SimCity Societies site.

Quantum Reality

Postby Quantum Reality » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 am

"Barcewaffle" wrote:Hi,

I recently installed Simcity 4. I use a widescreen monitor. The game works fine, but everything is obviously stretched. All of the resolutions in the graphics options are for non-wide monitors.

It's probably impossible to make it play as widescreen, but I would at least like to be able to force it to play in a window rather than full-screen so that it's not stretched.

It must be possible to do this, any ideas?

My OS is XP pro.

Thanks.

Some graphics cards have to be manually set to properly rescale the image into a 4:3 resolution. Some monitors can "inform" the GPU that they have 4:3 native resolutions, such as my Samsung 2253BW. My ATI 4xxx and 5xxx cards have been able to detect this and when told to display a 1024x768 type screen they don't stretch it.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_7.html

Try reading up on that for nVidia.

Barcewaffle

Postby Barcewaffle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks for directing me to Simtropolis, the solution I found is even better than I expected. The game can be played in widescreen, here is the post for anyone who might be interested -
Cougar2004 wrote:In 2004 when I got SimCity 4 Deluxe, I had a little 14 inch square tube monitor. Well, now I have upgraded to a nice 19inch flat widescreen monitor (actually a year or two ago).

I always played SimCity in 800x600 resolution, and then 1024x768. On this wide screen monitor, I tried many different settings, including the higher res 1600x1200, and 1280x1024 but they wouldn't work. What I really need is 1440x900 (WideScreen) resolution for my nice new widescreen monitor.

On a SC4D site, I read about this:

Code: (Custom Resolution)

-CustomResolution:enabled

Enables custom resolutions including the 16:9 ratio

and

Code: (Resolution Change)

-r[W]x[Y]x[Z]

Where:
WxY is a resolution (without using -CustomResolution:enable the screen resolution has to be either: 800x600, 1024x768, or 1280x1024)
Z is colour depth (32 or 16)

Both of these appear to be startup options when using these arguments with the desktop shortcut to start the game.

Solution: I now use, for my deskop startup icon path:
"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -l:english -Intro :o ff -CustomResolution:enabled -r1440x900x32

My SimCity 4 Game always looked great, now.... It looks and plays AMAZING! (Tools are smaller, leaving tons more visible gameplay space too.)

You may have already known all this, but if not... perhaps this can help someone. So I'm posting it here. (I never found this topic on here when i searched for it every year previously.) Enjoy~!

- Cougar

Herodotus

Postby Herodotus » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks for posting this Barcewaffle.

By sheer fluke and coincidence I bought SC4 deluxe on an impulse today and yep, the first thing I wanted to know was how to get a widescreen resolution.

I don't expect to play it much though and I'd guess that SCSocieties is actually more fun than SC4 but it's early days.

BTW I was suprised that some of the interface style resembled SCS and the first tutorial had the familar deploying of a fire engine.

Return to “SimCity Franchise”