SCS game save file structure

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Tinkerbell

SCS game save file structure

Postby Tinkerbell » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:06 pm

What is the SCS game save file structure & what do the files mean & do?

It appears that I get 3 files in my Game Save folder. I have also given typical file sizes for larger cities (for me & probably not for most of you).

1) [Name] ~ shows as a SCS icon ~ "SimCity 3000 Building Architect rendered set file" ~ 1,248kb

2) [Name].tga ~ TGA file ~ 257kb

3) [Name]MiniMapBG.tga ~ TGA file ~ 193kb

Do we need all three to play someone else's save?

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:52 am

The .scs file is the saved game.

The larger tga file I havn't a clue since no image editor that I own will open it up as a true tga image file. If you remove this file the game will still load and play fine, and the file will be recreated when you play the city.

If you don't have the minimap.tga file then you won't see a preview of the city when you are on the load city screen, but it will be produced when you save the city (or maybe just by opening it, Im not sure, but I do know that it recreates that file)

So apparently all that you need to play someone elses saved game would be the .scs file since the other two will be created when you play that saved file.

Oh and even smallish cities will be rather large, my Appleton city is a very small city yet it is 1.92MB in size. But I don't know if it goes up linearly with the population and building count.

SO in a nutshell it appears you only need the scs file to play someone elses saved game, as I removed the two .tga files for one of my saved games and that saved game loaded up just fine in the game and the game recreated the two missing .tga files.

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:54 am

If anyone cares about the save size thing, I always save a new random map when it's 'blank' (I dunno why, not neccesary, just habit?) and even those are usually 1.6-1.8 in size. It seems that more water and possibly elevation makes the file slightly bigger.

So one blank map was 1.6, then the first save made after spending the first $40K to build the initial house/business area etc, was 1.657. The next save 20 minutes and maybe 1800 pop./buildings/decorations later, it was 1.676.

After that ... at about 20K population which took up about 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of the map space (including the massive decoration/power 'pile' in a corner ...) it was 2.506.

What it all means I have no clue. But I'm surprised the file size doesn't go up faster, actually. :)

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm

Thankx for both of your inputs.

For file #1, I have various sizes for this one & it varies a LOT. I have 72 files in my GS Folder today, which means 24 saves.

10 are autosaves, of course. It is funny that they are numbered. I wonder how high they go before resetting to the start (I'm at 105)? :D

It ranges from 304kb for a Lab I did with one of each ~ Home, Workplace, Venue & Decoration on a short road with a power building; up to 1,618kb.

Perhaps the fact that I don't get rocks & trees on my maps is the reason I get smaller ones than you both do?

File #2 appears to always be 257kb.

File #3 is either 192-193kb.

If #3 generates the minimap on the Save Game profile page, perhaps #2 does the values & data that shows above the minimap there?
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Perhaps the fact that I don't get rocks & trees on my maps is the reason I get smaller ones than you both do?

Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis. No trees/rocks, less data.

I wonder if the screen resolution or any other 'game settings' you have the game using during the time you save has anything to do with it, either. I wouldn't think so, but I might check that out later out of idle curiosity.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:32 pm

Keeping with this same theme, I have another question. I have been afraid to try downloading anyone else's game save since I have a minimum computer.

However, I am wondering why some of the saves are so large. This question has to do with modding. C4 saves of huge cities are still quite small.

Are some of the mods, at least, kept also in the game save?

If I download a save with the Maintenance Mod in it, will I get it also for that save? Will the save crash on opening, have a big hole where the Maintenance building is?

Same question with the Pre-release Bonus buildings, or whatever you might wanna throw in about your experience with other mods.

Thank you!

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:39 pm

I wanted to bump this because I am interested in these same questions..
________
Suzuki Stratosphere
Last edited by PantherX on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quantum Reality

Postby Quantum Reality » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:40 am

I realize this is a necropost, sorry --

But I'm having a hard time finding a savegame editor so I can change the name of a city I resaved under a new name. Any help?

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”