Townhouses aquire negative happiness?

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Karstedt

Townhouses aquire negative happiness?

Postby Karstedt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:43 pm

The Townhouses in my city will (seemingly randomly) acquire negative happiness modifiers (-2, it can be offset by an enhancement to bring the total to 0 though it never reaches +2 from enhancements again). They are not near any of the buildings that reduce happiness, and if I bulldoze em' and rebuild they are back to normal. I thought there might be unhappy children or something, but can't find any... plus some of them with the -2 modifier don't have children.

Is there something else that can cause a negative happiness?

This may very well happen to any private residence, but I've only seen it in Townhouses.

AdmiralTigerclaw

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Are you sure Townhouses are private residences? Sounds to me like a Slum Lord's dropping by.

Pathfinderfl

Postby Pathfinderfl » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:10 pm

If you put the cursor over the -2 on the card, you should get a popup that tells you what is modifing the happiness.

Path

Akodis

Postby Akodis » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:03 pm

Pathfinderfl wrote:If you put the cursor over the -2 on the card, you should get a popup that tells you what is modifing the happiness.

Path

Not always. There's some stuff that sneaks by without being listed anywhere.

An example is the Dream Home, with a +2 happiness modifier if it's the only one, but if you put another Dream Home next to it the modifier drops to zero for both homes. The game doesn't indicate why it drops, but it appears that a Dream Home is less dreamy if it isn't the best home on the block.

Mike Lattiak

Saved games ahoy!

Postby Mike Lattiak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Karstedt, could you provide a saved game that displays your townhouses being hit by these values?

Akodis wrote:Not always. There's some stuff that sneaks by without being listed anywhere.

An example is the Dream Home, with a +2 happiness modifier if it's the only one, but if you put another Dream Home next to it the modifier drops to zero for both homes. The game doesn't indicate why it drops, but it appears that a Dream Home is less dreamy if it isn't the best home on the block.

Akodis, could you post a screenshot of the Dream Houses acting the way you described? Or possibly upload a saved game? There shouldn't be any reason for one Dream Home to negate another's modifier.

AdmiralTigerclaw

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:20 pm

Oh! I think I have something similar and I DID take a shot of it just at random.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Karstedt

Hmmm...

Postby Karstedt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm

I think I figured out what's happening. When loading the save, all of the townhouses have a 0 happiness modifier, and many have enhancements. When the enhancement expires, it drops to -2. Don't know if this will happen with any private residence with enhancements, or just the townhouse. I circled the townhouse closest to having it's enhancement expire.

Yeah yeah, I know it's ugly, but it's function over form going for that JoaT Nightmare trophy. Just gotta wade through the crashing to get there.

Edit: attachments failed, retrying
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Karstedt on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: attachments dodn't go through

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks for the saved game Karstedt. We were able to locate and identify the problem and it is currently being worked on.

Karstedt

No Problem

Postby Karstedt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the response.

Akodis

Postby Akodis » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:05 am

Hmm... I loaded up my saved fun city and did an experiment.

Screenshot #1 is a Dream House on the edge of town as I left it.

Screenshot #2 is the same Dream House after plopping another Dream House next to it. To my surprise it wasn't the proximity of the other Dream House causing the problem.

Screenshots #3 & #4 are a different Dream House across town, and it lost its happiness bonus when its enhancement expired.

I must have been having multiple expirations of enhancements on Dream House groupings that caused me to misinterpret the cause of the problem.

And as AdmiralTigerClaw mentioned, saved games are rampant with strange modifiers on buildings, like the screenshot he posted. Additional sims are often crowded into a home as though a slumlord has visited, the reason given being a 1 followed by a blank space, or in one of my cities (no longer available, deleted) the home stated it was because of 1 oil power plant, although none was nearby.

It seems that:
1> not everything is being saved when a game is saved, and
2> some nonexistent data may be added when a game is saved.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks for the additional information. Rest assured that this is a display bug and will not actually be hurting your Sims (they are still getting the proper bonuses). We're working on a fix for this at the moment.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Hello Mike,

For everyone here, I thank you for telling us your working on a patch. :D

Is there any chance your ready to start a thread on what fixes are in the works "officially"?

:cool:
________
roor bong
Last edited by PantherX on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:46 pm

As much as I'd love to slap together a list, you'll have to wait until the next game update for information relating to that. Sorry if this is a bummer!

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks again Mike,
Just knowing that an update is in the works is getting me all excited and I'm one of the people with no problems :D
________
Aprilia Tuono
Last edited by PantherX on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Beebe

Postby David Beebe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 pm

PantherX wrote:I'm one of the people with no problems :D

that's why we love you!

King Faticus

Postby King Faticus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 pm

PantherX wrote:I'm one of the people with no problems :D

lucky you.. I have tons of problems!.. ohh? you meant with the game... o_0

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:34 pm

King Faticus wrote:lucky you.. I have tons of problems!.. ohh? you meant with the game... o_0

I hope the update fixes up your problems! Yes, the in-game ones :)

ps. Oh thx David, I feel so special now :)
________
XRV750
Last edited by PantherX on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”