Basic Layout?

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Oceanus

Basic Layout?

Postby Oceanus » Tue May 26, 2009 3:54 pm

I'm wondering what basic layout people use for their cities.

For example, do you put housing -> venues -> jobs?
Or venues -> housing -> jobs?

Do you have just one "downtown" or more than one? How big do you make it?

How big are your city blocks?

And general questions. I did a search, and I was surprised not to find people discussing these sorts of questions.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 pm

"Oceanus" wrote:I'm wondering what basic layout people use for their cities.

For example, do you put housing -> venues -> jobs?
Or venues -> housing -> jobs?

Depends on the type of city I'm making -
But here is an approach that works with most:
Power Plant - usually an eyesore - so now I put down a main road, leading away from the powerplant to wherever I plan to put the center of my city. Then head down the road (from the powre plant) and I put down the cheap housing, minor eyesore like slums, etc. Then leaving room for additional power plants in the future, I add the big eyesore workplaces on the road between the housing and the power plant (the industrial zone)

Then I find the edge of the eyesore zone (on the end of the road away from the power plant) and add a few venues. (If I have a venue thats an eyesore that goes in the slum neighborhood) I fill in the gap between these venues and the slums with police, fire dept, and other small workplaces.

I put in cross streets and blocks as necessary.

As I move further away from the slums, I add more housing, with venues mixed in as appropriate, and then workplaces. I usually have an idea where I want the central part of the city, this is where I put big businesses, city hall, etc.

Power -> Industrial Wk -> Hm/Vn -> Wk*/Vn -> Vn -> Hm -> Vn -> +Wk+ -> Vn -> Hm -> Wk ->
(-+-+-+-+-+ Eyesore Zone +-+-+-+-+-)

Key: {Wk = Workplace, Hm = Home, Vn = Venue, +Wk+ Downtown, town center
/Vn = eyesore venues, or small necessary venues}
* Small work area to fill in gap beween eyesores and venues,
usually police and or fire department
Of course its hard to show a linear representation of the neighborhoods, but you get the idea I hope.

"Oceanus" wrote:Do you have just one "downtown" or more than one? How big do you make it?

Depends too much on the city type and landscape,
but generally I try for one central area.

"Oceanus" wrote:How big are your city blocks?

Big enough to hold building of whatever type I'm placing up to two deep.

Say I'm placing brownstone buildings (I don't know the dimensions but lets call it 5 width x 10 depth) I would make the space between roads to be roughly ~ 20-22 squares wide so I could place two brownstones back to back (usually with a gap between them) Then the width of the block would be whatever looked good, but usally no more than double the depth. So ~20-40 on width.
I also usually leave a 1 square gap between buildings rather than placing them touching.
Sometimes I make larger blocks and intentionally leave an open space in the middle (like a donut of buildings) to place a playground, statue, or other decoration object.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Tue May 26, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SCSocietiesRulz

Postby SCSocietiesRulz » Thu May 28, 2009 12:55 am

Wow, that is very in depth. haha The only thing i try to do is to make sure i have enough venues to compensate the number of homes i have. And to keep eyesores as far away from the housing as possible. I put them by the workplaces most of the time lol :)

MidrealmDM70

Too much?

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:35 pm

Well I thought you were wanting in-depth. :o

To be honest though, the above is my strategy for industrial, or capatalistic socieities, (and proabbaly authoritarian). If I was doing a fun city or romanatic city then it would be different.

RE: City blocks
One thing about the city blocks, once I set up one, I try to keep them relaitvely the same size, which means sometimes I run into places where a building wont fit, or there is a sizeable gap in which no appropriate building will fit. So the blocks get distorted as the city grows, sometimes with larger buildings or attractions taking up two or three 'blocks'

One thing I do almost every time is start with a central road and grow outward from that main street.

Do you start with a main road and work outward with side streets, or do you start with a single neighborhood?

Here is a Question:
I used to just place decorations wherever they would fit, but with the changes in decorations making many of them have a chance to enhance attractiveness of nearby buildings, and the fact that attractiveness only matters on venues. I found myself placing most of them only next to venues now.

Does anyone else use decoration objects mostly near venues?

Lastly I find I mostly place the huge buildings (stadium, racetrack, etc) on the outside edges of the city.
Is this a common practice or do some people prefer to place such attractions in the middle of downtown?

SCSocietiesRulz

Postby SCSocietiesRulz » Fri May 29, 2009 7:37 pm

no no no i love the in depth statements that u made! :D

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”