Moving into Nightmare Mode

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
eladimir

Moving into Nightmare Mode

Postby eladimir » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:05 pm

After getting most of the awards in Challenging Strategic Mode and the Jack of all Trade Trophy I guess its finally time to move up to Nightmare mode.

Wanted to discuss with you all the key things to make sure my city doesn't collapse under me.

Should i just run straight for an authoritative dictator ship to keep those rogues under control?

Is the key alternating workplace, home, venue? I personally like blocks of housing and then blocks of workplaces, with venues throughout.

Lastly is there an actual faq/online strat guide out there. For a game with pretty decent sales little has been posted online.
-Eladimir

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 am

"eladimir" wrote:After getting most of the awards in Challenging Strategic Mode and the Jack of all Trade Trophy I guess its finally time to move up to Nightmare mode.

Wanted to discuss with you all the key things to make sure my city doesn't collapse under me.

Should i just run straight for an authoritative dictator ship to keep those rogues under control?

Is the key alternating workplace, home, venue? I personally like blocks of housing and then blocks of workplaces, with venues throughout.

Lastly is there an actual faq/online strat guide out there. For a game with pretty decent sales little has been posted online.
-Eladimir

I don't think there is one way to do it,
If you have always made blocks of housing/venues and it works for you, I would stick with that.

Because of the freedom of developing and moddability of the game, there is no real guide. Some people prefer to not use mods, some prefer mods that are balanced for 'fair play' and other see nothing wrong with modding the buildings to eliminate the problems they have in game.

eladimir

True

Postby eladimir » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 pm

Yeah its not the kind of game where you can have set tips and tricks per say.
Unlike the wealth of online info for a game like fallout3, quest walkthrough hidden weapon locations etc.
About modding, I am interseted in the idea but first I want to beat the game on nightmare mode - ie jack of all trades trophy.

Tried last nite using only realtors flea markets and blocks of flats for the ultimate simple city. Thought I'd just run it all nite with a shad load of cash and then start building. Of course i forgot the classic simcity flaw in the plan. Fire, woke up to smoking crisp of a city.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 pm

"eladimir" wrote:Tried last nite using only realtors flea markets and blocks of flats for the ultimate simple city. Thought I'd just run it all nite with a shad load of cash and then start building. Of course i forgot the classic simcity flaw in the plan. Fire, woke up to smoking crisp of a city.

Ouch - :eek:

I've never had luck with leaving the game running overnight, it always seems to develop glitches and bugs (stuck sims, etc.) if I leave it running unatended

sev

Postby sev » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:36 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Ouch - :eek:

I've never had luck with leaving the game running overnight, it always seems to develop glitches and bugs (stuck sims, etc.) if I leave it running unatended

When you are paying attention to the game, what is it you can do about stuck sims? I just bulldozed a bunch of gaming venues that had some clearly-stuck Gamblers (who'd been there for days on end, their day-count at zero, and all their needs red) and they just all walked on and got stuck at the next venue they walked into.

Previously, when I had stuck sims they'd obviously been heading for a road I'd bulldozed, and when I replaced the road, they unstuck.

What do you do when you find stuck sims?

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:46 am

to be honest (im in hardcore mode right now, its hard, but going slow and steady with it) seems like the challenge mode sorta makes the game a whole different game. You still can make some partial societial values, but its building in stratagy, and your going to have to place a corporation, a church, and a carnival and circus venue type, rather you like it or not its whatever gives the best value and gets you towards jack of all trades.

eladimir

Agreed

Postby eladimir » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Yeah you do end up spending alot of time checking the costs/profit of every building. Your workplaces need to be profitable enough to pay for the maitenance of the housing and venues for its workers. Clumping communal farms and elder councils is one great way to go.
I like this version much more cause it is such a challenge, if I could just stamp whatever whereever the game would get old fast.

eladimir

Postby eladimir » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 pm

About the design thing, that where the filters help. Set it on small town or romatic etc. and you'll find your choices are reduced but at least everything goes together a bit better.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:50 am

"sev" wrote:When you are paying attention to the game, what is it you can do about stuck sims? I just bulldozed a bunch of gaming venues that had some clearly-stuck Gamblers (who'd been there for days on end, their day-count at zero, and all their needs red) and they just all walked on and got stuck at the next venue they walked into.

Previously, when I had stuck sims they'd obviously been heading for a road I'd bulldozed, and when I replaced the road, they unstuck.

What do you do when you find stuck sims?

I had the same problem with some gamblers, I thought it was just me.
I tried many methods of getting them unstuck, no luck.

Two things I thought of after the fact:
1> Deportation office - maybe forceably removing them (there may be other special sims that can remove them as well)
2> Burn them out - place a home adjacent and then use the Vigilante Group special ability to set the building on fire, let it burn and hopefully kill off the stuck travelers.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”