Estimating tourist count

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Norm35

Estimating tourist count

Postby Norm35 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Does anyone have a method for estimating what to expect in the way of tourist count?

At the moment, I can only use cut and try to set an accommodations count. It seems like it should be possible to apply a formula of some kind to anticipate what a realistic accommodation count should be for the size and certain other facts about the city.

eladimir

Not the best answer

Postby eladimir » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Well each of the destination travel items have an estimated travelers each will bring in. Taxi stands, etc. Its easy to build your city and get the level 2 star, but pushing past that mean buying alot of the crap travel methods till you get enough to build the shipdock and the airport, after that you'll have plenty of tourists.

As for sizing for accomodation can you just general go overkill on them since they'll be used as venues from your regular sims untill the travelers show up?

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:32 pm

I have a modest sized city with bus station, taxi stand, airport, and seaport.

City rating keeps switching between 5 Star and World Class.

There are about 560 worker Sims and 240-250 tourists.

Daily income is about 230K, including about 50K from tourists.

What I want to know is, "Is that good?" I haven't the slightest idea! I have no way of estimating what it should be. For all I know, I should have 2 or 3 times that many tourists, or more.
Last edited by Norm35 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eladimir

Nice

Postby eladimir » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:58 pm

Firstly thats quite the nice city. I'm pretty sure that up there in the high ends of tourist you can acquire in a city since you have everything and 50k income isn't as high as I think it should be.
I've had tourist income more than that with less tourist if I remeber correctly.
Also for one of the trophies I'm sure it reads 100K daily traveler income. I can't imagine you needing to double your tourists to reach that goal.

Perhaps your accomodations and venues are low price tag items. Or all daytrippers?

Just a thought.

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm still looking for a way of calculating how many tourists I should have and how much income each tourist should provide. I don't know whether anyone has a way of doing this. If not, there should be a way of doing it quantitatively.

I know how the tourist classes break down (eg. how many executives, gourmands, gamblers, spring breakers, etc.) I also know how much money each one of these individuals brought to the city and how much they took home with them. Experienced gamers should by now have collected statistics on how much tourists spent as a percentage of what they brought. I haven't seen such figures but they must exist. Two major figures apply here. How many tourists should a city with certain characteristics have visit it and what percentage of available vacation money should the city retain when the tourist goes home. I don't have any idea what these figures have been in the past nor how to estimate them for the city under consideration. I also don't know how to evaluate a city's characteristics in terms of how many visitors it should attract and how much on average each class of tourist should spend during his or her visit. If by now, such data has not been collected, I can only shake my head and wonder why not. Surely, not everyone is just winging it, like I am.
Last edited by Norm35 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:53 pm

I really think most people do "just wing it" There are a few spreadsheet players out there but I am not sure how spreadsheet-able SCS really is. Since the people have to travel to their destinations everything is infinitely variable. No two households or venues will operate the same and have the same results.

Literally two households right next to each other can have totally different daily results.

I am not familiar with the destinations expansion yet but with SCS it makes sense that...
If your tourists can travel between venues quickly your income should increase. If they are spending all their time traveling they can not be spending money so income decreases.

Do people plan tourist areas in their ScS cities?
I live in a real tourist area and we definitely try to keep them in a specific area. (Cannery Row and the Aquarium) :)
:cool:

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:44 am

"PantherX" wrote:I am not familiar with the destinations expansion yet but with SCS it makes sense that...
If your tourists can travel between venues quickly your income should increase. If they are spending all their time traveling they can not be spending money so income decreases.

Do people plan tourist areas in their ScS cities?
I live in a real tourist area and we definitely try to keep them in a specific area. (Cannery Row and the Aquarium) :)

I don't plan any areas, but after building certain types of locations (resorts in partiular) I noticed the tourists tend to concentrate in certain areas.
I then cater to that trend and place more venues where I find the toursits, thereby increasing the number of tourists in that area.
So it is somewhat a circular chain of events. I have never sat down and specifically said to myself 'tourists go here' and 'citizens go here'

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”