Emo sims in Hardcore mode. Making maintenece very difficult

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Dark Paladin X

Emo sims in Hardcore mode. Making maintenece very difficult

Postby Dark Paladin X » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Okay, I manage to get Jack of All Trades in Basic Mode, so I want to try something more challenging by playing Hardcore (and of course, this mode forces the difficulty to Challenging for Sim moods). I've noticed Sims are VERY emo in this mode. I try to balance the number of workplaces, homes, and venues at the same time. But even so, they Sims are still moody (in other words, they get pissed off more easily). Now, normally, I build my venues and homes very close together while I build my workplaces quite far. This is mainly because the some workplaces boosts your money output and I don't want ANY homes or venues in the area near money-boosting workplaces (only workplaces near money-boosting workplaces). I was wondering what on earth did I do wrong and any suggestions that I can maintain my budget AND keep the Sims happy. Should I build venues that lasts 24 hours (because other than Accommodations and Incarceration, there aren't a lot of venues that lasts 24 hours). Also, I've noticed that workplaces produce less money in Hardcore than Basic mode. Apparently, I understand that since it is meant to be harder, but then if you don't meet up with the maintenance costs, then buildings get damaged permanently in this mode.

I did manage to get the Mayor trophy in Hardcore mode, but then it was really hard because the Sims get pissed off really quickly (and the homes available in the Small Town filter doesn't have a lot of homes that initially give happiness).

The reason for asking is that I'm planning to make a Contemplative city where I only use three-day workplaces, having a very good budget, and keep my Sims happy all the time. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Cheiromancer

Postby Cheiromancer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:04 pm

Missions are good for getting lots of Spiritual energy. They make worship buildings cheap, too. Quilting circles look like they are quite profitable. Put lots of them near an Elder Council and you should be alright. Some other 3-day buildings have special functions that can be helpful. Volunteer drives and such. Make sure you take advantage of them.

Are you committed to a 3-day work week, or is it just to give sims more time at venues? If you allow some exceptions I would suggest looking at Dairy Barns to reduce the cost of agricultural buildings (which your town might have a lot of). They give good income per employee, too. And build communal gardens. They are quite profitable for the size of the footprint (compared to a farm, say), produce spiritual energy, and give health benefits to visiting sims. All in all, quite a good deal. Oh, and make sure you have a midwife (and, later, a faith healer). Sick sims are unhappy sims.

If you have a lot of money your problems are easier to solve. Realtors and televangelists are a way to make a lot of money. It might spoil the feel of your city, though. Still, one or two realtors give you Seller's Market, which gives you a bigger refund when you demolish the target home. The effect wears off quickly, though.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:28 pm

"Dark Paladin X" wrote:...normally, I build my venues and homes very close together while I build my workplaces quite far. This is mainly because the some workplaces boosts your money output and I don't want ANY homes or venues in the area near money-boosting workplaces (only workplaces near money-boosting workplaces).

While it certainly is a good idea to maximize your building placement with boosting effeects, don't be afraid to place some venues near the workplaces. Don't forget that happy workers boost income too, so some large capacity venues near your work areas can keep your workers happy, thus keeping income up.
In strategic mode, workers often stay at work longer, and the extra time it takes them to reach a venue can mean the difference between staying happy or not. Travel time is the biggest hindrance, so anything you can do to reduce it is good. Even placing living spaces near workplaces.

Try creating a 'Ring' of homes surounding a block or two of workplaces. Then, when you need more workplaces, simply place them in such a way as to form an ajoining 'ring'

"Dark Paladin X" wrote:I was wondering what on earth did I do wrong and any suggestions that I can maintain my budget AND keep the Sims happy. Should I build venues that lasts 24 hours...

Instead of 24 hour venues, try retail venues that sell devices that boosts a sims mood, a cell phone or painting, etc can help keep a sim happy enough through the week.

You can expect your workers mood to go down during the week, and then pick up during the weekend... especially in early stages. If their moods are very good on Sunday Night/Monday morning but dropping to content/unhappy by Friday, don't view it as a bad thing. You are doing ok. (but start to worry if you keep getting lots of angry workers)

"Dark Paladin X" wrote:The reason for asking is that I'm planning to make a Contemplative city where I only use three-day workplaces, having a very good budget, and keep my Sims happy all the time. Do you guys have any suggestions?

With smaller populations and more time off, it will be easier to keep your sims happier wth fewer venues, so you will save on some maintenance cost in that way.

Work slow, be aware of what days your workers bring in the income and what days are their days off. Try to conserve money on the days off, since you won't be getting as much income.

If you know you are going to be short on maintenance, try taking out a loan or bond to keep the buildings running for another few days. If your workplaces get damaged, you can be crippled for a few days, better to take out a loan and keep them operational.

If you DO take out a loan, make it a priority to pay it back when you do get some income. If you don't, then next time you need a loan you will be unable to do anything about it.

Always build right after maintenance costs are deducted or in the morning hours, If you build in the afternoon or evening, you get charged maintenance for it even though you didn't gain much benefit from it that day.

Don't overbuild your venues, you want to keep it as closely balanced so that your are getting maximum effeciency. If your workers are visiting an average of two venues a day, your total venue capacity needs to be only about half of your total work force.

When adding more power plants, don't forget to factor in upkeep costs.
One mroe expenisve plant can be less costly in the long run than two or more cheaper ones.

Abilities and effects that reduce the cost to construct certain types of buildings often have the additional effect of reducing the maintenance cost as well. Set your building actions that reduce construction cost such as 'volunteer drive' buildings to auto fire.

Hope those tips help :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”