Looking for Destination Landmark details

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Meghan

Looking for Destination Landmark details

Postby Meghan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 pm

I just started playing this again so this is my first real dip into the Destinations pool. I like what it brings to the game!

What I want to know - is there a FAQ somewhere that lists all the landmarks and what their effects will be once they're opened up as venues? For example, on my first map, I ended up with Geyser, Redwoods & Stonehenge. I wanted to build a Romantic city but the landmarks were Spiritual oriented. I would have picked a different set of Landmarks if I'd known that.

So is there a list or maybe just an xml somewhere where it's spelled out? Thanks!

Incidentally I'm playing now on a Win7 64bit box, with DX10 and 4gb RAM,and the crash problems I used to have are gone. I'm so glad I can play this again!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 am

There's no listing of Landmark details here on the forum, but perhaps we could try start one. Here's all the Landmarks in the game:

Ancient Ruin
Castle
Cave
Crater
Crystal Quarry
Draculas Castle
Frankensteins Laboratory
Geyser
Greek Temple
Henge Monument
Hot Springs
Hunting Preserve
Old Fort
Pyramid
Rain Forest
The Gulch
Redwood Grove
Scuba Reef
Shipwreck
Snowy Mountain
Tar Pit
Tribal Village
Volcano

The Hot Springs are Contemplative. I think the Snowy Mountain and Greek Temple may be identified as "Romantic," but I could be wrong.
Last edited by Azeem on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meghan

Postby Meghan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 am

Ok - I'll set up some quick freeform games and take some notes. BRB.

Meghan

Postby Meghan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:50 am

Well that took a little longer than I expected, but here's what I got:

Ancient Ruin

Tourist Type: Child Safe, Adventure, Worship
Venue values: +2 Knowledge, +1 Spirit
Attraction values: +12 Knowledge, +5 Spirit
Etc: Reduces Cost to build Education buildings, Spawns researchers

-----------------

Castle

Tourist Type: Child Safe, Adventure
Venue: +3 Authority, +2 Prosperity
Attraction: +11 Authority, +4 Prosperity
Etc: Increased chance of boosting a nearby building's Happiness factor

Cave

Venue: +2 Creative
Attraction +10 Creative
Etc: Spawns Animals, Dangerous (causes Injuries)

-----------------

Crater

Venue: +1 Creative, +1 Authority
Attraction: +5 Creative, +5 Authority
Etc: n/a

-----------------

Crystal Quarry

Tourist Type: Child Safe, Adventure, Entertainment
Venue: +3 Creative, +4 Production
Attraction: +10 Creative, +10 Production
Etc:

-----------------

Dracula Castle

Tourist Type: Adventure, Child Safe
Venue Stats: +4 Authority, +2 Creative
Attraction Stats: +20 Authority, +10 Create
Etc: Spawns Count Dracula, Reduces the cost to build Creepy buildings

-----------------

Frankenstein Lab

Venue Stats: +3 Knowledge, +2 Creative
Attraction Stats: +15 Knowledge, +6 Creative
Etc: Spawns Dr. Frankenstein, Reduces the cost to build Creepy buildings

-----------------

Geyser

Tourist Type: Entertainment, Adventure
Venue Stats: +2 Spirit
Attraction Stats: +10 Spirit
Etc:

-----------------

Greek Temple

Tourist Type: Worship, Child Safe
Venue Stats: +3 Prosperity, +3 Spirit
Attraction Stats: +15 Prosperity, +15 Spirit
Etc: Increases the Happiness boost of nearby buildings, Increases the chance that Sims spawned will be Holy Sims

-----------------

Henge

Tourist Type: Child Safe, Worship
Venue Stats: +5 spirit
Attraction Stats: +30 Spirit
Etc: Spawns Worshippers Sims, Increases the amount of Worship provided by nearby buildings

-----------------

Hunting

Venue Stats: +3 Prosperity, +3 Production
Attraction Stats: +10 Prosperity, +10 Production
Etc: Spawns animals, Increase the number of animals spawned in the city, Dangerous (causes Injuries)

-----------------

Hot Springs

Tourist Type: Leisure, Child Safe
Venue Stats: +2 Prosperity, +2 Spirit
Attraction Stats: +13 Prosperity, +6 Spirit
Etc: Provides Healthiness for visiting Sims

-----------------

Old Fort

Venue Stats: +4 Authority
Attraction Stats: +15 Auth Authority
Etc: Reduces cost to build Government buildings, Provides Light Conditioning, Increases the likeliness of Criminals being Vigilantes, Extra attractive - Sims will travel further to visit

-----------------

Pyramid

Venue Stats: +5 Knowledge
Attraction Stats: +30 Knowledge
Etc: Increases the Happiness boost of nearby buildings, Increase Knowledge output of all Education buildings

-----------------

Rain Forest

Tourist Type: Worship, Adventure, Child Safe
Venue Stats:
Attraction Stats: +16 Spirit, +12 Know
Etc: Increases the number of Animals spawned, Spawns Witch doctors, Increases the Happiness boost of nearby buildings

-----------------

The Gulch

Tourist Type: Leisure, Adventure
Venue Stats: +4 Creativity
Attraction Stats: +20 Creativity
Etc:

-----------------

Redwoods

Venue Stats: +2 Spirit, +2 Creative
Attraction Stats: +12 Spirit, +6 Creative
Etc: Spawns Animals, Increases the number of Animals spawned, Increases the Happiness boost of nearby buildings

-----------------

Scuba Reef

Tourist Type: Child Safe, Entertain, Adventure
Venue Stats: +3 Prosperity, +1 Knowledge
Attraction Stats: +10 Prosper, +10 Knowledge
Etc: Increases the Happiness boost of nearby buildings

-----------------

Shipwreck

Tourist Type: Child Safe, Entertain, Adventure
Venue Stats: +3 Creative, +1 Knowledge
Attraction Stats: +10 Creative, + Knowledge
Etc:

-----------------

Snowy Mountain

NOTE: The Snowy Mountain has no stats of its own. It's just there to build a Ski Resort. You can't build the Ski Resort without it.

-----------------

Tar Pit

Tourist Type: Entertain, Adventure, Child safe
Venue Stats: +8 Prosperity, +4 Authority
Attraction Stats: +12 Prosperity, +8 Authority
Etc:

-----------------

Tribal Village

Venue Stats: +4 Spirit, +1 Knowledge
Attraction Stats: +15 Spirit, +4 Prosperity
Etc: Spawns Witch Doctors, Sells Tribal Masks Retail function

-----------------

Volcano

Venue Stats: +3 Spirit
Attraction Stats: +14 Spirit
Etc: Spawn Witch Doctors, Dangerous (causes injuries)
Last edited by Meghan on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ETA: Snowy Mountain info

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:59 pm

That's a great list there. :) Still not entirely clear which ones can be counted as "Romantic." I'm guessing the Hot Springs and the Greek Temple? Romantic tends to favor Prosperity combined with Creative.

Meghan

Postby Meghan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:05 pm

After staring at the list for a while, I think the key stat there is what sort of Traveller are you hoping to attract. For example, if you have landmarks that attract Worshipers, then you need to be prepared to build other Spirtual-type accomedations and so on. That could be a problem if you were going for the Cyber or Gambling towns. Similarly, if you want a Family Fun type town, you'll want to make sure your landmarks are child safe.

The stats from the landmarks are nice, but for me at least, they're not large enough to be game altering. They're all a nice bonus, but none of them have stats which are so good that I won't need to build other stat generating buildings too.

The stats determine which buildings unlock but they don't determine if you meet a profile. Profiles are decided by which buildings you actually build. The travellers attracted by the landmarks influence which buildings you'll need in the city in order to keep them happy and thus also determine which buildings you build.

So for a Romance city with lots of Arts & Dining buildings, I'd look for landmarks which attract Child Safe, Entertainment-seeking, and Leisure-seeking sims, since the Arts & Dinings buildings provide a lot of points in those categories. At least that's how I'd see it.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:17 pm

Awesome and very informative list :D Thank you

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:17 pm

After rereading this thread several times, I realized that I didn't really understand some of the terms. Researching them didn't clarify it for me so I will plead ignorance and ask for further explanation.

"venue", "venue stats", :attraction", "attraction Values", "attraction stats", "local", "tourist", "metric", seem to have meanings that go beyond the generic. Can you point me toward something that will help me to better understand what is being conveyed here? I gather that you are distinguishing between natural landmarks and attractions that have been converted to tourist venues but feel that I am missing something beyond a literal interpretation of what is being said. Maybe not understanding the difference between attraction stats and venue stats is part of my problem.
Last edited by Norm35 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Landmarks operate differently from regular buildable Venues in that they can be transformed into "Tourist Attractions" once they recieve 50 local visitors.

A landmark as a "venue" operates the same as a regular buildable venue; its basic function of boosting sim happiness is no different from any other venue you place in your city.

The "venue stats" Meghan refers to are the Societal Energies that a landmark produces before it is upgraded to a "tourist attraction."

When a landmark is upgraded to a "tourist attraction," its societal energies and visitor slots increase, and it can admit and charge tourists. An un-upgraded landmark caters to the local population and does not charge money while an upgraded landmark does.

"Metric" refers to the contributions toward a societal archetype. For example, Authoritarian buildings contribute more toward an Authoritarian archetype; if you have many of these, then your city's look and theme will become Authoritarian.

TEP

Postby TEP » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:20 am

Meghan, this is absolutely brilliant! :)
Thank you so much!

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:15 am

"Azeem" wrote:That's a great list there. :) Still not entirely clear which ones can be counted as "Romantic." I'm guessing the Hot Springs and the Greek Temple? Romantic tends to favor Prosperity combined with Creative.

Looking at the metrics
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SimCity™ Societies\DataXP1\XMLDb\Game\Metrics

It appears that the landmarks have no direct effect on society type.

However they do appear to have an impact on your 'star rating' for your city. And the attractiveness to toursits.
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SimCity™ Societies\DataXP1\XMLDb\Game\Traveler Data

Norm35

Postby Norm35 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Looking at the metrics
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SimCity™ Societies\DataXP1\XMLDb\Game\Metrics

It appears that the landmarks have no direct effect on society type.

However they do appear to have an impact on your 'star rating' for your city. And the attractiveness to toursits.
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SimCity™ Societies\DataXP1\XMLDb\Game\Traveler Data

The largest contributions in Traveler Attractions.xml seem to be on the landmark sites. Can you provide any additional information on how they are utilized?

Can the total attractiveness of the city be increased by juggling these values or does this only change the relative attractiveness of the various building types?

Are there any other files which can change the total attractiveness of a given city? So far I have found no consistent way of doing this. I can increase visitors to a city by increasing the spawn counts in SimClasses2.xml but this is sort of a brute force technique. I would rather find a way of increasing the city's total visits by increasing the attractiveness of individual venues.

I have increased the visit counts to certain venues by increasing their population maximums and happiness effects but found this has little or no effect on traveler income. For example, I increased the Golf Course maximum population to 24 (from 6); gradually, the visit count went up to this new maximum. I affiliated it so all its visitors were travelers (no free visits by worker Sims). At a visit cost of $300, I would have expected a significant increase in traveler income. I did not experience this, total traveler income continued to vary over the same range as before the changes.
Last edited by Norm35 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 pm

"Norm35" wrote:The largest contributions in Traveler Attractions.xml seem to be on the landmark sites. Can you provide any additional information on how they are utilized?

I haven't really explored these files fully, everything I knew I put in my mod guide.

From Midrealm's Mod Guide
Traveler Environment
[COLOR="Wheat"]Located in \DataXP1\XMLDb\Game\Traveler Data\Traveler Environment

If you copy, rename, and open the original file it should look something like this:

<TravelerEnvironment>
<UnhealthySimPenalty>-0.01</UnhealthySimPenalty> <!-- per-criminal/sick/injured sim penalty -->
<HomelessSimPenalty>-0.01</HomelessSimPenalty>
<TravelerChildEffect>0.01</TravelerChildEffect>

<Building id ="Billboard" contribution="-0.01" />
<Building id ="50s Gas Station" contribution="0.00" />
<Building ID ="AAA Game Developer" contribution="0.00" />
<Building id ="Sim Art Academy" contribution="0.00" />
<Building id ="Administration Building" contribution="0.00" />

<Building id ="Wigwam" contribution="0.00" />
<Building id ="Woodsmans Hut" contribution="0.00" />
<Building id ="Worlds Biggest Widget" contribution="0.00" />
<Building id ="Zip Line" contribution="0.00" />

</TravelerEnvironment>

The first part (pertaining to Sims) should be edited out of any mod, I don’t know if it would stack if left in (doubling the penalties). So really the only important thing we are looking at is the buildings, and these are handled almost exactly as they were in the metrics files. The main exception here is that the number is a percentage, so that 0.01 equal 1%. If you look through the file you will see that most are 0%, with very few rising above 2% (and those that do are usually very expensive, unique, or both). In addition almost none are negative, so it would probably be best to use negatives only in extreme cases, and keep all values small.

If you feel one or more of your buildings would make your city more attractive to tourists and travelers, then you should probably use this file. You may also notice that many if not all of the original Sim City Societies buildings are not listed in this file. It would be safe to assume that any building not listed has a value of 0. If none of your buildings are traveler oriented, then you can just leave off this file entirely.

=-=-=-=-

Traveler Attractions
Location: \DataXP1\XMLDb\Game\Traveler Data\Traveler Attractions

This is very similar to Traveler Environment, It includes a section labeled ContributionDecay which, as I understand it, defines the diminishing returns of how much a building contributes to the city attractiveness (which affects traveler spawn rate).

Since the contribution decay specifically says it should be defined only once, I would assume you do not need to define at again in any mod files.

What you are left with is exactly the same format as Traveler Environment, but these values apply in full only for the first building, the contribution decay defines that the first gives 1.00 (or 100%) of its listed value, the second provides only 50%, the third 25%, and any additional beyond three provide 0%. This means a variety of buildings is the best way to boost your city attractiveness.

Also these values do not necessarily affect how good looking the building is, but whether is attracts travelers. The Dive Bar venue (for example) shows a value of 1%, despite being an eyesore building, while various decorations have a value of 0%.

I am honestly not sure what the difference is between Environment and Attractions. If I had to guess I would say that Environment affects only spawn rate, while Attractions affect your Destination Star rating.

I hope that some of this can be of help to you when preparing your buildings.[/COLOR]
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cheiromancer

Postby Cheiromancer » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Some of the special sims produced by landmarks are very undesirable. Animals cause panic; witch doctors can turn people into zombies and this also causes panic.

I don't know what Dracula or Dr Frankenstein do, though.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 pm

"Cheiromancer" wrote:Some of the special sims produced by landmarks are very undesirable. Animals cause panic; witch doctors can turn people into zombies and this also causes panic.

I don't know what Dracula or Dr Frankenstein do, though.

Thrill Seekers enjoy being scared by animals (and by ghosts)
So their happiness/Satisfaction goes up when that occurs

And Witch doctors can cure sick sims, with only the 'occasional' zombifying.

They both have some good points, depending on what type of society you are making. :rolleyes:

Return to “Game Help &amp; Strategy”