Monkey in the Works

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
MidrealmDM70

Monkey in the Works

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:20 am

A monkey (destinations only) can inhabit a building shutting it down. But while doing to it seems to interfere with any building action that requires targeting a building.

Specifically A monkey inhabited a venue, and while doing so a nearby home caught fire. Using the fire department I attempted to target the burning building to extinguish the fire, but was unable to do so. This remained the case until the monkey inhabitation ended.

I've tested this with other actions that specifically target buildings and get the same result. It does not prevent the targeting of every viable building, just many/most of those close to the inhabited building.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so has anyone found a fix?

Herodotus

Monkeys!!!!!

Postby Herodotus » Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 pm

It seems Monkeys are a sort of joke theme belonging to TM. They exist in Cotn and Caesar 4, and I seem to think that a few people (Tink maybe) have postulated their existence in SCS. Dunno if they are common in Destinations, but if not, it seems you have found them! Congrats (Have a Banana).
Haven't seen a Mummy as well have you???
Last edited by Herodotus on Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:11 am

Monekys (and other animals) were added in the Destination expansion...
some venues produce them.

Bears and Elephants roam the city scaring and upsetting sims and travelers, the parrot may nest on a building, making it more attractive for a while. And the monkey can shut down a building (workplace or venue) by entering it.

But preventing one from targetting a nearby building is just... wrong :(

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Mon May 16, 2011 1:12 pm

As soon as I hear the peeps yelling b/c some animal has escaped the Animal Preserve I send out my rangers. I haven't had any issues w/ monkeys, etc since they are captured immediately. I also build my Animal Preserve a bit off to the side away from the main tourist area, this way it takes longer for an aminal to get social.

Zebediah

Postby Zebediah » Mon May 16, 2011 1:19 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:But preventing one from targetting a nearby building is just... wrong :(

I'm pretty sure that's a bug - I can't imagine why they'd deliberately program it to do that. I've been looking through the scripts to see what's going on, but haven't spotted anything obvious yet. I've got some time later today so I'm going to really dissect TGoalMonkey.cs and see if I can figure anything out.

Tinkerbell

Postby Tinkerbell » Thu May 26, 2011 3:25 am

Did someone say

...MONKEYS !!!...?...

:eek:

:D

Zebediah

Postby Zebediah » Thu May 26, 2011 2:46 pm

I've been through all the scripts related to both the monkeys and the fire system, and I can't find anything obvious that would be causing this. There are a couple of routines that make lists of nearby buildings - one where the monkey is deciding which building to inhabit, and one where a park ranger searches nearby buildings to see if they're inhabited - but based on the code that I can see, neither one of these should have any side effects. Neither of these routines modifies or marks the buildings; they just make lists of them. I'll take a second look just to be sure I didn't miss anything, but right now I don't see anything that we'd be able to modify to fix this. If it's in the back-end code, we're probably out of luck.

(Just in case you're wondering, yeah, I'm a software developer, temporarily (I hope) out of work, leaving me plenty of time to do stuff like this.)

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:02 pm

"Zebediah" wrote:I'll take a second look just to be sure I didn't miss anything, but right now I don't see anything that we'd be able to modify to fix this. If it's in the back-end code, we're probably out of luck.

Well let me know if you find anything -

I was trying to mod a building that would allow you to send a park ranger directly to a 'monkey inhabited' building. But when I found I couldn't target the building it really killed the idea.
Maybe its just me, were you able to repeat the error on your system?

Also - I hope you find work soon. :)

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”