Help with Contemplative City in strategic mode

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
Starcomet

Help with Contemplative City in strategic mode

Postby Starcomet » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:46 am

Hello again everyone,

I need help with making a spiritual society in strategic mode as the maintenance is a killer. I was playing the game before I installed the v.5 patch and the game was very easy and I had a full fledge spiritual society. But now even on normal mode I am getting a lot of sad and angry Sims and it is harder to get money. Any good strategies for a spiritual (and somewhat knowledge based society?)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:09 am

Are you going for a pure contemplative city (meaning only buildings under that category)? One thing you can start with is a heavier emphasis on communal gardens since they produce $2250 per week.

By the way, do you have SCS: Destinations or are you playing only the original SCS?

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 pm

I am playing the original as Destinations seem to focus more on tourism and I am not interested in that. And yes, I am making a society in which the mjority of buildings are under the contemplative society. So highest value will be spirituality at 200+ and my second highest is usually knowledge at around 60ish.

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:09 am

And what can be done about the constant sad and angry citizens I am getting? I make sure I have enough venues for everyone but it seems like they never get a chance to go to them or just stand in one place for like three hours and then try and go to them when they are closed.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:32 am

The hard part with contemplative / spiritual venues is that a lot of them are half-day only, which means that once your sims get out of work, the venues they want to get to would already be closed. When choosing a venue in the beginning, go with the cheapest ones and the ones that will be open for the whole day such as the tea house. A nice thing about the tea house is also that it has 10 visitor slots.

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:10 am

True and the same with the Altar and Gazebo. Could it also be I am building too fast? Usually I start off with one monastery and a few farm houses. Three communal farms, two dairy barns, and an elder council.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:35 am

The first two or three game weeks should be to focus on building up a steady supply of income and having a large enough reserve for expansion.

I tried out a test city for contemplative and my initial setup included this:

Workplaces
-4 Communal Gardens
-1 Elder Council (positioned between the 4 Communal Gardens to give an income boost)

Housing
-1 Monastery
-9 Farmhouses

Venues
-1 Tea House
-1 Flea Market
-1 Altar

Infrastructure / Decorations
-1 Major Wind Farm
-1 Rose Garden

For this setup, the daily maintenance was close to $500 per day, but daily income was a little over $3000.

I had a Rose Garden near the houses to give an occasional happiness boost. Flea Markets are very useful in this case because retail venue items can give a temporary happiness boost to sims on top of the +3 base happiness modifier. Note that the farmhouses have a chance of producing sim children; their moods also affect overall happiness.

I'd say it's better to dedicate the first two or three game weeks to hoard cash, expanding only very slowly.
Last edited by Azeem on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 am

I will try that, thanks Azeem :) .

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Your plan Azeem has greatly helped me with money but the happiness is still a problem. Even with the flea market, a tea house and four altars. I am still getting a couple of unhappy sims.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Are your venues close and easy access for the sims (and for all of them?). Try to keep them close to housing or work. Also try to keep the amount of venue space in line with how many citizens. If you have too many venue spaces its not only a waste as an expense, but also doesn't guarentee the sim goes to the highest value of happiness venue, and sims can get confused/indecisive on their choice and end up choosing nothing.

Also, any of your workplaces 7 days a week? Thats often a no go without retail venues

Destinations is a great expansion btw. More than just tourism, plenty of new buildings, landmarks (such as hot springs or forest that can serve benefit for citizens) and other tools that enhance the society engine.

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:13 pm

"pcgamer2" wrote:Are your venues close and easy access for the sims (and for all of them?). Try to keep them close to housing or work. Also try to keep the amount of venue space in line with how many citizens. If you have too many venue spaces its not only a waste as an expense, but also doesn't guarentee the sim goes to the highest value of happiness venue, and sims can get confused/indecisive on their choice and end up choosing nothing.

Also, any of your workplaces 7 days a week? Thats often a no go without retail venues

Destinations is a great expansion btw. More than just tourism, plenty of new buildings, landmarks (such as hot springs or forest that can serve benefit for citizens) and other tools that enhance the society engine.

Yes, I kept the closeness of the venues in mind and always make sure they are close to the homes or workplaces. I do have an excess amount of venues and that may be the problems and the reason why sims just stand around four hours and end up not going to a venue. And no, none of my workplaces are 7 day work week and the only one I would have if the Fire brigade.

I will look more in destinations to see what new buildings and such it has.

Starcomet

Postby Starcomet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:45 pm

I restarted the city and have 23 workers and jobs and the flea market as my only venue. I still have sad sims and even a few angry ones. I know in basic mode they get angry faster but so is this just normal? Perhaps I am overrating.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”