Game not runnign on Windows 8!

Need help or want to discuss strategy? This is the place!
CatchallRat

Game not runnign on Windows 8!

Postby CatchallRat » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 pm

I know this has been discussed, and over discussed... But I can't seem to find anything useful.

I am currently running a Dell Inspiron with the following specs

Core i5-3210M 2.5GHz Processor

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Mobile

4GB RAM

500 GB Hard Drive

and Windows 8.1

I tried removing the ™ from the path and that didn't work.

When I run the game I get the launcher, press play, get a black screen for about 0.8 seconds, and then a message that says "SimCity has stopped working" and I get a choice to debug or quit.

When choosing debug I get a message saying the game will close and something will pop up when they figure out what's wrong... It never pops up though.

I have tried running in compatability mode for Windows 7 through Windows XP and none work...

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:28 pm

Did you try running the game via the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter on 8.1 (also found on 7, and 8).

Besides setting the compatibility mode it may make other adjustments to get the game running.

I don't have SCS so I don't have it installed on my 8.1 system, but I have installed Caesar IV and Children of the Nile using the PCT.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

You may still have to remove the "tm" from the install path at some point, if it is still present.

pcgamer2

Postby pcgamer2 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:45 pm

The only thing you'll need to run SCS on Windows 8.1 properly, other than removing the ""tm"" , is to enable .net 2.0 in the ""add and remove windows features" as described here http://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-net-framework-2-windows-8/ . It doesn't matter that the game attempted to install it during installation as Windows just declines its functions until you tick it on in the settings.

richardbrucebaxter

Re: Game not runnign on Windows 8!

Postby richardbrucebaxter » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:09 am

The latest version of SCS (1.0.4.243/1.0.4.270) does not currently work on a Windows 8/8.1/10 system - see the Community Technical Support forum.

Return to “Game Help & Strategy”