Let the modding Begin!

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
startrekdork

Let the modding Begin!

Postby startrekdork » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:19 am

Link under mods file on main Sim City page, describing what the xml tags are.

Just reading through gives more details about the game as a whole.

They weren't kidding when they expected this thing to be modded.

http://simcitysocieties.ea.com/help/custom/custom_en.pdf

majortom1981

wow

Postby majortom1981 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Yea they werent kidding about the modding. You can even change the clothing that the sims wear, the buildings can be chanegd and everything. Even if the actual game isnt good you can mod it to be good.

Deaghaidh

Postby Deaghaidh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 am

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the things in the bad reviews can be fixed with mods- provided of course the game is successful enough to spawn a decent sized mod community.

Specifically, the two reviews in the 5s both complained about counter-intuitive energy use and production.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:05 am

That document mentions the naming conventions but not what programs or plugins are required to create them. For example the buildings have the xac extension, but what program or plugin is used to create them, how do we import them into a modeling program such as 3dsmax 7 or gmax or any other modeling program that people use?

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:14 am

Actually, do you think we can 'recreate' the buildings models in the game? I think that we can only change the parameters of the buildings (area of effect, costs to build etc.) in the 'modding' of SC: S by using only the XML file.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:51 am

I wonder if EA will eventually release a toolkit of some sort along the lines of what Firaxis did with Civilization IV?

In the Civilization IV modding community, more intensive mods could not be accomplished until the SDK was released later on.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:58 am

Need_Help wrote:Actually, do you think we can 'recreate' the buildings models in the game? I think that we can only change the parameters of the buildings (area of effect, costs to build etc.) in the 'modding' of SC: S by using only the XML file.

I think if they give us the import/export plugin for 3dsmax then we would be able to add buildings to the game and modify what is there. The pdf document state something to the effect of how to name the buildings when we save them, which would indicate that we can create our own buildings. But it seems quite likely that we will need a plugin for 3dsmax to be able to export our own models and then of course we'd have to skin them to.

While I have 3dsmax 9 I recognize that not everybody has it nor can afford it so it would be nice if they do release a plugin, to make sure that it works with one or more of the free 3d modeling programs as well so that modelling changes or new buildings isn't left up to only those that have the 3dsmax program.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:12 am

I think most probably they will just create a SDK instead of making a plug-in for 3DS Max, since not everybody can afford, and 3DS Max is kind of 'complicated' for beginner modders (just to learn 3DS Max to model a simple house may take a few weeks, if you are not a 'full-time modder'). If they release a plug-in, most probably its for Blender 3D or GMax.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:19 am

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I remember plenty of developers who released the plugin for 3ds max but said that they couldn't release a plugin for Gmax or Blender so it left out all the people in the cold except those that coudl afford to have 3ds max.

It wouldn't suprise me if they only have a plugin for 3ds max and that would be the one that they release. But like I say, we'll have to wait and see, maybe they won't release anything at all and we'll be limited to only altering the xml files and or retexturing what is already there.

In C4 we couldn't create any buildings or modify them from what I recall but it was ultra simple to retexture almost everything in the game if the person wanted to. I did the roads, some of the peeps running around on the streets and if memory serves me I think I might even have done some basic retexturing on one of the buildings (or maybe it was CivCity Rome that I retextured the building), anyway Im certain that I rextextured the tax man in C4.

I hope they go about releasing it sooner rather than later however while the community is still around. Waiting too long and people lose interest.

Need_Help

Postby Need_Help » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:56 am

I would say that most probably they will not release anything at all (so far I never heard anything about a SDK or plug-in) However, I hope they will release something that we can use to recreate some models (since I heard that there are many models 'repeating' in a city). They must release sooner, since the community may lose their interest very soon.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”