=enabling all road types HOWTO=

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Agamemnus

Aga's Tips and Tricks. Latest: Road Slope Maximum

Postby Agamemnus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:27 am

== Enabling manual placement of all types of road themes ==

With these steps, you can mix and match roads to fit certain neighborhoods in your city:

1. Copy all files of roads that you want to manually place/have access to in "Data\XMLDb\Roads". (excluding Templates.xml, TemplateAmbients.xml, and Highway.xml)

2. Change the first line of each copied file as per this example:
<Road style="Orwellian City Street" extends="TemplateStreet" stringid="UI_CITY_STREET" hiddenatstart="true" environmentBG="Exterior Urban">

...becomes...
<Road style="Orwellian City Street 2" extends="TemplateStreet2" stringid="UI_CITY_STREET" hiddenatstart="false" environmentBG="Exterior Urban">

NOTE: Stringid refers to the localized name for "city street". If you place something other than a string that refers to a localized text, the name of your road will be blank in the game.

3. Add this to the Templates.xml file almost at the end: (after the </Road> tag and before the </Roads> tag)
<Road style="TemplateStreet2" extends="TemplateStreet">
<TraitList>
<Trait name="ProfileCategory" value=""/>
<Trait name="AmbientsAffectedByProfiles" value="false"/>
</TraitList>
</Road>

4. Start the game. :eek:

PS: TM, can I make a zip file/XML pack out of this and post it in the exchange/on this forum?

==Making roads placeable on steeper terrain==

Change "SimRoads/MaxSlopeAllowed;float;0.37" to a higher value (such as .7) in Data/XMLDb/NewConstants.txt

==Making fires more frequent==

To tweak the chance that a fire occurs (spreads?), go to "Data/Scripts/Ability_FireRisk.cs" and change the values to what you want:
The default risk is "1.0f", without quotes. (f means floating type variable; don't forget the "f" or the game might not function properly)
The default "High" risk is "2.0f", and the default "Low" risk is "0.5f".

To change fire chance of occuring IF a disaster was triggered, go to Data/Game/Disasters/Disasters.xml and change the "weight" to a higher value:
Data/Game/Disasters/Disasters.xml wrote:<Disaster ID="Fire" category="Crisis" weight="20" player_trigger="false" disable_during_low="true" single_instance="true" script="Fire" aftermathNewsID="FireAftermath">

==General difficulty level

Go to "Data\XMLDb\Game\Difficulty Levels\Difficultylevels.xml" and change the values for 'JobEfficiencyRelaxed float="1"' (higher is easier) and 'GlobalDailyModifier float="1"' (higher is easier).

I don't know exactly what these do at this moment.

==Making it harder to make Sims happy==

To tweak base happiness when sims enter venues, go to "Data/Scripts/Ability_Variable Fun.cs" and change the values to what you want.

EG:
default wrote:inSim.Happiness += Globals.gRandom.Next(mMinHappiness, mMaxHappiness + 1);

to:
modified wrote:inSim.Happiness += Globals.gRandom.Next(mMinHappiness, mMaxHappiness + .5);

You can also go to "Data\XMLDb\Game\Happiness\HappinessCategories.xml" and change the happiness minimum and maximum for each happiness level.

==Making All Cash Producing Events Produce Less Cash==

EDIT: Nver mind this.. I tried several things and none of them work. I will keep searching!

==Easiest Way of Creating a Portrait from a Plopped Object in SCS==

1. Everything surrounding the texture must be transparent. To do this, first create a flat texture that can be later cut out from a screenshot and which doesn't match the color variations of your object. A white texture will typically suffice. To add a white texture, add this to DecorativeTerrainSets.xml (in Data/XMLDb/Game/Decorative Terrain Sets):

In <DecorativeTerrainTables>: <TerrainType id="white" texture="white" bump="" spec="" tileSpan="4"/>
In <PaintableTerrainSetsTable>: <Set name="White" id="White" costPerTile="0" groundTerrain="-1" baseTerrain="white" portrait="white" clearAmbients="true"/>

2. Now start the game. Set Anti-aliasing to "off" so that terrain does not blend with the edges of the object you will soon place.

3. Cover section of the map with white texture, and place your object on flat terrain. Set up the camera in whatever way you want to make the screenshot, then make it. ("Print Screen" on Windows systems)

4. Now alt+tab out (or close) the game, and either paste the screen image into your favorite imaging program or open the screenshot that the game created and saved automatically. (for WinXP users, in My Documents/Simcity Societies/User Data/[your player name]/Snapshots)
In Photoshop or similar applicatins:
Cut out the white parts, leaving transparent pixels instead. (it may not be completely all one color due to sun lighting effects) Delete the white background if you have one. Save the image as a PNG in "Data/Graphics/interface/portraits". The same portrait name should be present (without extensions) when you place this data inside your object's XML file.

Note: Where you place the image doesn't matter to the game engine. You don't have to specify the location of the image in your XML "portrait" tag/value. Only the name matters.
Last edited by Agamemnus on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kuplo

Postby Kuplo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:01 am

I havn't tried it yet due to game crashes, but NICE find! Especially if I don't have to use a cheat to allow all buildings.

But you should maybe package this up in a SCSPack file so that people don't have to alter their installation files and can remove it at will by deleting them out of the mod folder area.

Also maybe you might want to post it on the exchange over at simcity.com If you're not going to post it over there, let me know and I'll package it up and post it, it's just too good of a find to not have on the official simcity exchange.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:53 am

Kuplo wrote:I havn't tried it yet due to game crashes, but NICE find! Especially if I don't have to use a cheat to allow all buildings.

But you should maybe package this up in a SCSPack file so that people don't have to alter their installation files and can remove it at will by deleting them out of the mod folder area.

Also maybe you might want to post it on the exchange over at simcity.com If you're not going to post it over there, let me know and I'll package it up and post it, it's just too good of a find to not have on the official simcity exchange.

I don't want to post it as a package though because it's really EA/TM's call for me to post their own slightly modified material. I wanted to ask in this thread for permission, but I forgot.. I'll do it now.

LisaMockingbird

Postby LisaMockingbird » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:23 am

Generally when modding games - modifying game files and reusing game textures is allowed - even encouraged. Especially as long as you only take credit for what part you did or added. Everyone with the game has these files already so there should not be any issue.
If they tried to squelch this sort of modding - well there wouldn't be much modding happening. I seriously doubt they are gonna want to give permission to every minor alteration either...unless they got a full time unpaid intern they wanta torture... Lots of "rename" and "dye" jobs are the usual early mods in many games. I myself need a snowy landscape - Can't find any snow scapes (not even tundra or alpine :eek: ) guess I need to frost up the alpine textures...

It's a totally different matter if you rip stuff (model or textures) from other games to port over lock stock and barrel to another game (like ripping StarWars off and adding to a NWN - I recall that that was squelched big time lol)

I'll be looking for this road mod. :)

Judhudson

Postby Judhudson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:45 am

Very great find!

Reed

Postby Reed » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Agamemnus wrote:PS: TM, can I make a zip file/XML pack out of this and post it in the exchange/on this forum?
Yes indeed, go for it!

Alex Mullins

Postby Alex Mullins » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:06 pm

Agamemnus wrote:==Making fires more frequent==

To tweak base fire frequency, go to "Data/Scripts/Ability_FireRisk.cs" and change the values to what you want:
The default risk is "1.0f", without quotes. (f means floating type variable; don't forget the "f" or the game might not function properly)
The default "High" risk is "2.0f", and the default "Low" risk is "0.5f".

That won't increases the frequency of fires; that just controls the base chance of a building catching on fire when a fire happens to occur. If you want to increase the frequency of fires you need to change the chance of it occurring in the disasters xml "Data/XMLDB/Game/Disasters/Disasters.xml".

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:23 pm

Ah, ok. Thanks!

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:12 pm

This should reduce all events that add cash to the treasury by .5.

By .5 of what? Percent? Let us know when you figure that out?

This would be nice to me, since I think cash is way too easy to collect - and I think I can at least manage to change one line in the xml file, haha, assuming doing it in Notepad/Wordpad doesn't hurt anything - but the definition of that .5 is needed.

I still like panik's idea of having venues/decorations (or something...) 'leech' cash periodically, like workplaces add cash, even better, tho.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm

LadyCrimson wrote:By .5 of what? Percent? Let us know when you figure that out?

This would be nice to me, since I think cash is way too easy to collect - and I think I can at least manage to change one line in the xml file, haha, assuming doing it in Notepad/Wordpad doesn't hurt anything - but the definition of that .5 is needed.

I still like panik's idea of having venues/decorations (or something...) 'leech' cash periodically, like workplaces add cash, even better, tho.

50%. You multiply the value by .5.. so it's 50%, or should be. I haven't tested if/how exactly it works yet and how it affects refunds.

Personally, I think that utilities, public buildings, roads, and decorations have maintenance costs. I don't think venues should have maintenance costs though.. they already (without enhancements) don't produce cash, and unless we're in a communist society where the state pays for entertainment/relaxation/dinner, they shouldn't cost money to maintain...
Last edited by Agamemnus on Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poetic

Postby Poetic » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:06 pm

Thanks for the find Agamemnus :)

LadyCrimson

Postby LadyCrimson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:11 am

Agamemnus wrote:Personally, I think that utilities, public buildings, roads, and decorations have maintenance costs.

That would work too ... I honestly don't really care which buildings have running costs - reality just isn't my thing :) - but do like the idea that at least some would. Preferrably ones that people would have a hard time avoiding using. So roads and decorations etc. would fall into that just fine.

Do you think that's something one could implement via the modding process, or would it have to be from an official patch?

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:16 pm

just to come back to this roads, which i turned into a mod, i was thinking it would be great that if you go over a road with a different type of road that it will be replaced with the road you choose , at this moment when you have a road lets say cyberpunk style and you want a part of it to be romantic style then you have to buldoze that part first, now if only we could just make it so you can simply lay it on top and the bottom one disappears. Is this possible you guys think ?
Last edited by Morpheus121073 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:23 pm

I know that there's possibly a way to remove buildings with the functions that the script files have access to. That can possibly be used to remove roads when a "new" road has been placed somewhere. No idea really.. again, script docs needed...

Ocram

Postby Ocram » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:06 pm

I think buldozing is fine. Herringbone brick streets would be great. Viaducts would be awesome!

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Agememnus, maybe it is possible to make those roads paintable ???
See the decorative grounds, such as grass, concrete etc. you can place over the other without having to buldoze the entire thing, now we need the same for the roads, still the question is how do we do it :)

Mike Lattiak knows a lot maybe he can lend a helping hand here and shed some light on the issue at hand.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:16 pm

Morpheus121073 wrote:Agememnus, maybe it is possible to make those roads paintable ???
See the decorative grounds, such as grass, concrete etc. you can place over the other without having to buldoze the entire thing, now we need the same for the roads, still the question is how do we do it :)

Mike Lattiak knows a lot maybe he can lend a helping hand here and shed some light on the issue at hand.

Well, you can easily make a paintable terrain (like the grass / concrete) that looks a lot like a road -- but that doesn't mean it will function like one!

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:06 pm

Anyway we can do it then so the roads do not need to be buldozed when placing a different road on top mike ?

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:16 pm

Morpheus121073 wrote:Anyway we can do it then so the roads do not need to be buldozed when placing a different road on top mike ?

Not that I know of -- but I'm sure you super-sleuths can find a way.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Hehe super-sleuths, you probably know more of the game then we do at the moment, notice i say at the moment lol

But yeah who knows we might find a way to do this like you say :)

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”