Texture conflict with cultural graphics effects

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
DhevynStarr

Texture conflict with cultural graphics effects

Postby DhevynStarr » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:24 pm

I created a mod which uses a custom texture. I created the xml file for the cultural graphics effects and as long as I either place the xml file in the install directory location or
I place the file in my all users directory location and I don't have any other custom texture mod file in the cultural graphics folder the texture works.
When I place the xml file in the all users directory and there is another custom xml file there, the texture won't display.
If I take my texture code and add it to the other custom file, it works so I know my there aren't any conflicting id's. If I move my custom file to the SCS install directory and leave the other custom xml file in the all users directory it also works.

Hopefully that makes sense.
D

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:43 pm

I got the same problem running on vista when placing it in the programdata folder, in game modifying the original files then it works great, but renaming it leaving the id in tact then no way that it works, also it does not work when i place it in the program data folder where the mods normaly reside.

Now adding custom textures works great so somewhere lies a problem.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:28 am

So in summary the problem is this?:
The compiler sees another "<CulturalGraphicSets>" and over-writes the newer list, or doesn't write it at all if there is already one.

BTW, any of you have any idea whether it's possible to modify other textures using this method? (eg: roads)

DhevynStarr

Postby DhevynStarr » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:32 pm

That is pretty much what it looks like is happening. I also see something strange when adding roads as well. It looks like the compiler is ignoring the mod directories. The roads display if they are in the install directory, but not in the modding directories.

D

genepooldesign

Postby genepooldesign » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:05 pm

I think that the program is looking for:

"\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SimCity Societies\"

for some reason. On my Vista, it is set up as:

"C:\Users\(my_user_name)\Documents\SimCity Societies\"

DhevynStarr

Postby DhevynStarr » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:30 pm

Vista likes to do things differently. I'm running on XP, I just can't tolerate the slow performance I get in games when I run Vista. I assume the game takes that into consideration though (The directory structure), but probably wasn't reflected in the customization docs.

D

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”