Mike Help please

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Morpheus121073

Mike Lettiak Help please

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:52 am

Mike Lattiak now i have the roads mod perfectly working i continued with my other mod, which is the opening hours mod,

Now modifying the original files works but as a mod it doesn't , see what i need to do is change the opening hours of some buildings, the hospital as example i wanted to change to being open for 24 hours. Now when i use it as a mod from the mod folder then it doesn't work unless i add it as a new building.

So my question is, is there a way to override the standard building settings from inside the mod folder ???
Last edited by Morpheus121073 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agamemnus

Postby Agamemnus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:21 am

My name is also Mike...

Can you post the working road mod then? I would like to see how you did it.

Also, how are you trying to change the hours on the buildings?

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:31 am

I added 2 new times and modified the buildings.

I will post a few mods in a few.

TreyNutz2

Postby TreyNutz2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:39 am

I'm having the exact same problem trying to change the hours of some of the venues. I thought I could copy and edit the xml property file for the building to make it 24 hrs, and that works fine in the install directory, but when I wrote a package xml, made the SCSpack file, and installed that, the changes did not take effect.

Is it possible to change the properties of existing buildings in a way that doesn't edit the original files, and that allows distribution as SCSpack files? Or do we have to duplicate the whole building to give it the changes we want?

My initial SCSpack file when I attempted this only had a line for the edited building xml file. I didn't include anything about the mesh, textures, etc because I didn't change those. I thought about trying to add all the lines that were in the example in the pdf document on the EA site, but it seemed like a lot of work when I have no idea if I'm going down the right road or not.

Currently I have the edited file in install directory with the original in there too, but named my edited version beginning with a 'z'. That works, but that hardly seems like an ideal way to do it.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:35 am

By the way i was talking about Mike Lattiak :)

Anyways here is the open hours mod i'm working on but again it does not work unless i add the buildings ass a seperate building but i just want the original buildings to be modified, so i hope there is an building override command or something along that line that i can use.

By the way Tilted Mill, thanks a for a new game addiction lol, just love this game it's absolutly wonderfull and moddable as crazy which brings me back to the moddding community after doing a lot of modding under a different name for The Movies, The Sims, The Sims 2 and a whole lot of other games, have not been modding for over a year now but this game is fun to mod and i love it so i sure hope to make a lot more cool and crazy mods, maybe we can make some mods together with a bunch of people. See i;m not that good on the graphics part of modding so new buildings and all is going to be a tough cookie to do for me. Specially where i would love to have schristmass trees i nthe game small ones to place in yards, as a tree they take home and a big giant one to place in front of my city hall :) who knows maybe someone can do the textures and all, TM maybe a nice present to prepare for christmass ????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ocram

Postby Ocram » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:03 pm

Maybe you can change the building card and add a 24/7 (or 24 hr if closed on weekends) sign to the texture and a new building would be good. You could also edit the night lights effects so different windows light up with more of them lit up. I am a beginner at xml and have never modded before but plan to start modding in a couple of months.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:05 pm

24 hour card is already in there, i also modified cards to display the new opening hours that i added, and the windows light up as any other building at night :)

TreyNutz2

Postby TreyNutz2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:56 pm

Ocram wrote:Maybe you can change the building card and add a 24/7 (or 24 hr if closed on weekends) sign to the texture and a new building would be good. You could also edit the night lights effects so different windows light up with more of them lit up. I am a beginner at xml and have never modded before but plan to start modding in a couple of months.

I just changed the line in the xml and the building's info card showed up with the correct 24 hr icon. That game takes care of that as long as you use one of the default time periods, i.e. I didn't have to do anything separate to get the info card to show the new hours. (looks like you could make your own time periods too) Didn't check out the lights, but most of the buildings I changed to 24hr were filled to capacity at 4am in my tiny industrial town.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Morpheus121073 wrote:Mike Lattiak now i have the roads mod perfectly working i continued with my other mod, which is the opening hours mod,

Now modifying the original files works but as a mod it doesn't , see what i need to do is change the opening hours of some buildings, the hospital as example i wanted to change to being open for 24 hours. Now when i use it as a mod from the mod folder then it doesn't work unless i add it as a new building.

So my question is, is there a way to override the standard building settings from inside the mod folder ???

Yes, you can override the standard buildings inside your mod folder. You just need to follow a simple rule: Keep the building ID identical.

For example: Let's say I want to change the cost of the bank. I'd follow these steps:

1) Copy the SC5b Bank.xml file from the install directory and place it in the appropriate mod directory (the way you've been doing all the other mods)
2) You can change the name of the file to whatever you desire.
3) Inside of the copied file, set the cost to something different. Do not, however, change the building ID.
4) Load up the game and your bank will be cost whatever value you set it at. No new banks will be added.

Unfortunately, there is a current problem with the XMLs in that not all changes you make to it will show up in-game -- such as venue time and social energy output. This is a known issue and being looked into.
Last edited by Mike Lattiak on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TreyNutz2

Postby TreyNutz2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know that the file name had to be exactly the same.

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:29 pm

TreyNutz2 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know that the file name had to be exactly the same.

I apologize, I made a mistake in my previous post. You need to keep the building ID the same, not the filename. I made the corrections above -- sorry for any confusion.

TreyNutz2

Postby TreyNutz2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:44 pm

Oh, ok. That's better. That way I can name the file so it's easy to find and remove. I never changed the building ID so the issue just seems to be that venue time changes aren't showing up.

Do we need a package xml file in the Import directory at all? It seems from your comments than we just need to have the edited building xml in the appropriate mod directory. I see that there is a MaintenancePack.xml file in the Import directory after installing the Maintenance mod, for example. Is this file not necessary once the content is installed?

Just curious. Dumping modded files in the appropriate mod directory without having to create a package xml file in the Import folder would certainly make developing/test new content easier. I'm not clear whether this file is necessary to get the content to load into the game. I guess I could experiment a bit and find out though.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm

ok so what i haev should work then but for some reason it doesn't Mike could you take a look and see why it doesn't override it ?

Mike Lattiak

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Morpheus121073 wrote:ok so what i haev should work then but for some reason it doesn't Mike could you take a look and see why it doesn't override it ?

As I stated before, there are some known problems with certain tags in the XML not properly overwriting. It's currently being worked on. There are others, such as cost and tile width/height, that do currently work.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:19 pm

great thanks to let me know mike, also great to know you guuys are working on it.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”