Mod I would like to make but need help starting.

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:12 am

One thing i would say is that police stations can make money, think about speeding tickets that are being paid etc.

FomarTHain

Postby FomarTHain » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:19 am

Morpheus121073 wrote:One thing i would say is that police stations can make money, think about speeding tickets that are being paid etc.

That's true. Hadn't thought of that. One of the reasons I was thinking about doing this as well is becasue the cash flow to is to fast and to much. I was trying to think of ways to lessen this.

Morpheus121073

Postby Morpheus121073 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:02 pm

True, i'm actually working on some mods and new scripts myself. I to will look into this :)

Ocram

Postby Ocram » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:54 pm

I am not a modder but, is it possible to have a building cost money by itself but have a simcash pay so that it makes money with a full and happy workforce? ie no workers $-200, 1/2 workers (content) $-100, full workforce (content) $0, almost full workforce (ecstatic and happy) ~ $100 - $200.

SlightlyMadman

Postby SlightlyMadman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:36 pm

You also may want to be careful that you don't disrupt balance too much. If the police station doesn't make any money, you might want to set it's jobs to 1 or 0, so it's not takingworkers away from paying jobs. Then again, that might impact its ability to create special sims (I'm still not exactly clear on how that works).

Really the true cost of buildings like the police station, is in their special abilities (SWAT!). If you don't use these, they're not helping you much, so they shouldn't leech too much.

I think a better plan might involve really working out the numbers on all the buildings, how much money they can make, and their costs with the maintenance mod. Their total costs are really much greater than just their maintenance, since you'll need housing and entertainment for each worker present there.

To acheive a good balance in the game, a workplace would make only enough that it will break even on all associated maintenance costs with standard buildings, and content workers. Luxury housing and unhappy workers should ultimately result in a net loss, whereas cheap housing and happy workers should result in profit.

Of course, working out a balance so delicate could be very troublesome without the proper management screens in the game. Something like this could work in SC4, because you have a budget screen where you can see a red or green bottom line.

I wonder if a the maintenance building could be modded further, to add messages to the news ticker every morning, going into detail about your budget. It can already be really difficult to determine as it is, since workplaces are open on different days (I'll make a profit one day, and think I'm doing well, only to run at such a loss over the weekend that my city shuts down).

edit: It looks like it is possible to add news items to the ticker, most of the special sim goal scripts do it using CS_NewsTicker, although they seem to be using a special class for reporting sim events, but it seems like there must be a more generic method as well.

I'm also going to start working on a spreadsheet for the building attributes, I think my best bet is to write a script to pull the data directly from the xml files.
Last edited by SlightlyMadman on Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FomarTHain

Postby FomarTHain » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:44 pm

SlightlyMadman wrote:Of course, working out a balance so delicate could be very troublesome without the proper management screens in the game. Something like this could work in SC4, because you have a budget screen where you can see a red or green bottom line.

Yes I was thinking about the balance when trying to alter the police station. It would be very easy to edit the buildings to the point where it ends up not being possible to build a successful cash flow.

Agreed about the screens. I was building a city last night with the Maintenance mod and it sure would have helped my planning if I could see some hard numbers. In some cases I would cut it to close and half my buildings would get damaged at once. I like that this adds a challenge but it would help plan if the player could see where all the money was going.

SlightlyMadman wrote:I'm also going to start working on a spreadsheet for the building attributes, I think my best bet is to write a script to pull the data directly from the xml files.

Yeah that is a good idea. It would be nice to see the building numbers quickly.

I am attaching a file from the Building directory that may be nice to put on a separate tab for quick reference as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SlightlyMadman

Postby SlightlyMadman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Okay, so I created the spreadsheet, and created another version that does some field calculations. There's some really interesting stuff there.

I haven't broken it down by style or class or anything yet, but taking averages off all buildings, I've learned the following (weekly values, assuming 5% maintenance).

Average workplace net per sim: 388.37
Average home net per sim: -136.61
Average venue net per sim: -64

That means 187.76 profit per week, per sim, on average. This does not take into account happiness, and assumes that the averages are representative of the actual buildings used.

One interesting thing is how comparatively cheap venues are. This means you can probably maximize profits quite a bit by using slummy homes and filling the map with extra venues.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”