Paintable Terrain Tutorial

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Mike Lattiak

Paintable Terrain Tutorial

Postby Mike Lattiak » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:02 pm

Along with the Winter Holiday mod that EA released here, there is a document associated with it that I'd like to bring some special attention to.

Paintable Terrain Tutorial.

This is a brief tutorial which will lead the user through the process of creating their own paintable terrain, following both the steps needed in the XMLs and art related work. I suggest that anyone with an interest in doing a quick mod read over it. I'd like to hear some feedback on the document if possible, along with things that might be confusing or areas that could use more explanation.

Lilbluesmurf

Postby Lilbluesmurf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:44 pm

It seems easy to follow to me. It would be of more use to a lot of modders if it did include how to do the tile/microtile based terrain though. Perhaps that should be a different doc though as it I am sure it would be much more confusing.

David Beebe

Postby David Beebe » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:09 pm

Have you seen the "Hedge Maze" paintable terrain mod?

Lilbluesmurf

Postby Lilbluesmurf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:22 pm

Link? I haven't seen it.

Calypso78

Postby Calypso78 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:41 pm

In step 1, 4), should we use the grey scale image as the specular file? ;)

Alex Weissman

Postby Alex Weissman » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:52 pm

In most cases greyscale is best for spec maps, but it is not required. Adding color to the spec map tends to make a surface look more metallic, and you can also get fancy and try out different things for special effects, but for most normal surfaces some variation of grey is best. Black is non-reflective, white is super shiny. Often times you will only be able to see the results of manipulating the spec by moving the camera around to see the lighting from different angles, and depending on the geometry the bump map may work for or against showing off changes to the spec.

You DO need to run the Nvidia plugin for the normal (bump) map on a greyscale image though.

Hope that helps :)
Last edited by Alex Weissman on Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralTigerclaw

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 pm

So what about terrain that 'glows' in the morning and evening?

I picked up some textures for the terrain earlier from ThatGuy2001, but all his custom textures act as if they are at an odd angle and light up around 3am until 8am. It kind of funks up the immersion and look when it's 5am and the grass around a mansion looks like its lit by mid-afternoon sunlight.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”