"SimCity Societies: Korea" Mod Project (take 2)

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:51 pm

A new addition to the mix. :D

Next two things to do are to fix the convenience store and Nonghyup graphics. Then I'll do a few more Korean houses and a dollar store. All the stuff together will constitute the first "SCS: Korea" Pack. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CatMajik

Postby CatMajik » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:15 pm

Very nice Azeem :D

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:03 am

Next set of works: public murals.

This is pretty much a simple substitution, cut-and-paste thing, nothing totally drastic in changes to the overall textures. Instead of the Mayan-inspired mural, the picture is replaced with sets of the 18th century painter Kim Hongdo's genre scenes, which have come to be identified in the popular imagination as representative of traditional Korea.

I'm going to do a set of 3 or 4 murals for this retexture pack. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:12 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Next set of works: public murals.

I'm going to do a set of 3 or 4 murals for this retexture pack. :)

Do you know how to set them up so the 'V' key will swap between the variations? If not, do you want to?

Edit: Nice look btw!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:00 pm

MidrealmDM70 wrote:Do you know how to set them up so the 'V' key will swap between the variations? If not, do you want to?

Edit: Nice look btw!

No I don't know how to do that. And I'd very much like to know how! :)

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:39 pm

"Azeem" wrote:No I don't know how to do that. And I'd very much like to know how! :)

I was worried I wouldn't be able to remember how I did it without diging through all my notes, but then I remebered I posted it here before. After a brief search -
http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?p=255512#post255512

So for your use you could add a line in each mural object building .xml file
<SelectionObjectListID>KoreanMurals</SelectionObjectListID>

Then create an xml file, I don't think it matters what the file is named as long as it has the proper data in it.
Lets call this one KoreanObjectSelection.xml

I also don't know if it matters where you place this file, but I placed it in the Model Sets folder and it worked there.

Your KoreanObjectSelection.xml file should have the following format for as many lists as you need (two are shown in the example):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<SelectionObjectLists>

<SelectionObjectList ID="KoreanMurals">
<Building ID="KoreanMural A" />
<Building ID="KoreanMural B" />
<Building ID="KoreanMural C" />
<Building ID="KoreanMural D" />
</SelectionObjectList>

<SelectionObjectList ID="KoreanHomes">
<Building ID="KoreanHome A" />
<Building ID="KoreanHome B" />
<Building ID="KoreanHome C" />
<Building ID="KoreanHome D" />
</SelectionObjectList>

</SelectionObjectLists>

Where the Building ID entries are the Building IDs of the objects to be selected and the SelectionObjectList ID matches the one you specified in your building files.

Edit: Added second list to example to show how multiple lists would be formatted.

Lastly - two unconfirmed thoughts on the matter:
I believe if you want to add your buildings to an existing list you only need to specify your new building ids, not the ones that are already on the list. Just make sure you use the same list name (you can find it in the .xml file for an existing building that is on the list). So if you wanted to make a new brownstone building and have it be part of the existing selection list, you would find the ObjectSelectionList specified in the existing brownstones and then create a file that added your buildings to the list.

Also I don't know what would happen if one building were placed on two different lists. In theory only the last one applied would function, but I have not tried this to confirm it (It may crash the game).
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation (and creating a template ;) ).

Also I don't know what would happen if one building were placed on two different lists. In theory only the last one applied would function, but I have not tried this to confirm it (It may crash the game).

I don't know if it'd crash the game. Probably more likely that the game simply ignores one or the other the way it does with Localization text. Crashings occur when there's an XML coding conflict or error.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:48 am

"Azeem" wrote:I don't know if it'd crash the game. Probably more likely that the game simply ignores one or the other the way it does with Localization text. Crashings occur when there's an XML coding conflict or error.

I'll take your word for it, I know very little about xml. :o

"Azeem" wrote:Thanks for the detailed explanation (and creating a template ;) ).

You are welcome -
and I suppose it goes without saying, but I will mention it for anyone else who wishes to try this at home ..

Inside your object selection file you can have multiple Object Lists:
(edited previous posting to show example)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:41 am

Three new murals. :)

After I release these, then I'll start making a Korean housing pack.

Just a strange thought here - would anyone be interested in an SCS: North Korea mod?
Last edited by Azeem on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:51 am

New variant for the Korean "Hanok" (traditional home). I will make another traditional home variant and then retexture to make two additional modernized houses - the final Korean houses pack will have 6 total homes (2 of the Hanok that I previously made, 2 extra Hanok variants, and 2 Sae-ma-eul houses).

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Do you know if those trees part of the model or are they a propset attached to the model?

Oh, and as always, looks great ;)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:04 am

Those bonsai-looking trees are part of the building model itself, not a prop set. Not that it's a problem or anything; actually, I quite like having them with the building. :)

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:35 am

A fourth variant for the traditional home. I'm having a bit of fun experimenting with styles. Maybe I might end up doing a 10-pack instead of 6. :D
Last edited by Azeem on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:28 am

I was a bit dissatisfied with the original set of Hanok I made, so I decided to tweak them a bit to give them a more accurate appearance. :)
Last edited by Azeem on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:47 am

More Korean, more flavor. :D

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:41 pm

Those are so cool, almost makes me want to play scs again ;)
:cool:

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:47 pm

"PantherX" wrote:Those are so cool, almost makes me want to play scs again ;)

Almost? What will it take to get you back in?
:p

PantherX

Postby PantherX » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 pm

"MidrealmDM70" wrote:Almost? What will it take to get you back in?
:p

lol good question, last time I played I did 1 new city and played 3-4 of my older cities in one afternoon. I started on the destinations tutorials but didn't finish or go back yet. When I was playing, it was a full time job I played so much. ;)

As much as I enjoy seeing the images of the various mods I never load any. I am not 100% sure why, maybe it's just because I'm lazy and do not want to figure out how and where to put everything. I used to enjoy digging into the guts of games and even made a few maps and various objects in other games. Now I have a wood shop and run a small business so my time is more precious than it used to be. I still get some time for gaming but usually only a couple hours a day. :)
:cool:

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:03 pm

If the mods are in an SCS Pack, they should unpack automatically. :)

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:04 pm

"Azeem" wrote:If the mods are in an SCS Pack, they should unpack automatically. :)

Well, you may have to associate the unpacker utility.
(but you only have to do that once)

And if running destinations you will have to move the localization files.

But for the most part, yes an SCS pack should unpack and load everything you need to the proper locations.

If you decide to give it a try again, and want to look at some Mods, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance or advice if you need it.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”