Modding Guide

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
MidrealmDM70

Modding Guide

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:49 am

Attached is a series of documents that can walk you step by step through modding

Part I is the introduction to modding an object, specifically buidlings such as a home, workplace, or venue.

Part II talks about adding categories and metrics to your buildings. And also touches on P_Categories which adds props to your buildings based on what type of society you have created.

Part III discusses adding a name and description to your building, and how to have your building description change in different societies. It also briefly touches on the use of other localization files.

Part IV is a brief description of how to add portraits to your building, so that it will have pictures that appear in both the building selection menu and on the information card when the building is selected in the game.

Part V Is all about Building abilities and actions. If you want to learn how to make your buidling benefit your city in new ways, this is the place to go.

Part VI - In the works:
This will discuss adding sounds to your buildings.

Part VII - In the works:
This will discuss Special Sims

Part VIII - ???
I don't know if there will be an additional part, can anyone think of something I haven't discussed? If so please post it here.

=-=-=-

If you don't want to download each part individually, you can download the complete guide: Midrealm's Modding Guide (11-17-09)

=-=-=-

Finally please let me know (by posting here or through a PM) if you find any errors or inconsistancies in the guide.

As always, compliments, criticisms, and suggestions are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attach Documents

outpost

Postby outpost » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Thank you for this guide. It's a tremendous help.

A few things:

1. I have Vista, and the directory you mention for User Data (C:/Documents and Settings...) does not exist on my system. I don't think Vista uses Documents and Settings.

2. My modded building did not show up when it was in my User Data folder. I didn't see it in the game until I'd copy/pasted the files to their subfolders under Program Files. Is this a Vista thing? A Destinations thing?

3. You might want to run a spell check. ;)

But really, this is a great guide. Thank you so much for putting it together.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:56 pm

For Vista, modded files should go into the SCS folder under ProgramData.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:18 pm

"Azeem" wrote:For Vista, modded files should go into the SCS folder under ProgramData.

I thought I had added that notation for Vista, but I guess I had forgotten.
Last edited by MidrealmDM70 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:24 pm

"outpost" wrote:Thank you for this guide. It's a tremendous help.

You are welcome, I keep trying to make time to finish it, but always seem to be occupied with real life concerns :(
Knowing that others are finding it useful helps keep me motivated :D

"outpost" wrote:2. My modded building did not show up when it was in my User Data folder. I didn't see it in the game until I'd copy/pasted the files to their subfolders under Program Files. Is this a Vista thing? A Destinations thing?

The User Data folder should contain only your save files for you personal games. Since modded buildings are meant to be used by all users who run the game on that computer, they should all be installed in...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Program Data\SimCity Societies

I think that is the right structure for Vista.

Also if you are running destinations, be aware you may have to copy your localization files.

Let me know if there are any more difficulties or errors, particular with Vista since I can't really experiment with that operating system.

Yes, Grammer and spelling bad :D
I keep telling myself I need to fix that as well.
Thanks for all your comments, I am glad you have found some use out of it.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:14 pm

New Part to the modding guide -
Special Sims
Since we can't upload here at the moment - you can find it here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03PJ0O9R

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Finally it's here! :D Downloading now. :)

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:01 pm

It may have errors -
I was reverse engineering the instructions from looking at what I had done previously, so if you run into something that goes wonky :eek: let me know.

Korbinos

Postby Korbinos » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:26 am

I know it's been quite some time, and I used to poke around with the modding in SCS, but I want to get back in to messing with it. I kinda miss it. Since then I've gotten a new computer and my past modding stuffs got lost in time :(

Unfortunately the attachments for the modding guides seem to be dead. Any one around that can show me where I can find the guide elsewhere? or possibly email it to me?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 pm

I might still have it, but it'll take me a while to sift through my old files.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 pm

For some reason, I'm having problems uploading on free hosting sites so I'll just post up the entirety of Part I up here. Hope Midrealm doesn't mind. :o

Sim City Societies Mod Guide
By MidrealmDM70

First off, let me say this mod guide is heavily influenced by the Creepy Nightmare mod Guide. Sadly I do not recall who put together that mod or the guide, and cannot thank them properly other than to include the credits from their mod guide at the end of this one.

Examples will be given throughout the mod, and descriptions given when possible. Many folders within the Sim City Societies game structure will contain a .TXT file that give a brief description of how to lay out the data in the xml files for that folder and what the tags do, often referring to another file location. These can be invaluable for someone feeling adventurous in their modifications. Lastly – there are so many possibilities, I simply cannot cover it all, but I will attempt to hit the main points to modding.

Directory Structure:
In the guide I will refer to the original data usually found in this directory
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\SimCity™ Societies
Although this may be different if you did not install into the default location.

I will also refer to the user data (or your data) found in this directory
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SimCity Societies
(Vista users may have a slightly different directory structure for the user data.)

Section 1 Buildings

Section 1:1 The Basics
If you are copying an existing building, there are actually only a few minor modification you will need to make to customize your building. To start with, lets simply copy and rename the file. Lets take a Slum and make it into something different.
First find the Slum .xml file in the original data directory:
\Data\XMLDb\Game\Objects\BUILDINGS\
(Worth noting, all xml files will be under \Data\XMLDb\ )

All the buildings start with a two letter and number combination, This is not necessary, but does help with organization. The letter B after the number denotes that this is a building xml file.
Copy the “SC5B Slum Apartments.xml” file into the user data directory structure
\Data\XMLDb\Game\Objects\BUILDINGS\
If this directory structure does not exist, simply create it.
Then rename the file – In this case I am calling it “MR2B Safe House.xml”

The next Step is to open the xml file with an editor of some sort, I use wordpad, which seems to work, but there are many free xml editors available.

The file should look something like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Building ID="Slum Apartments">
<Type>Home</Type>
<Cost>150</Cost>
<Special_days>Full_Week</Special_days>
<Special_hours>24_Hour</Special_hours>
<Visit_Duration>Normal</Visit_Duration>
<Sim_cash_pay>0</Sim_cash_pay>
<Happiness_effects>-4</Happiness_effects>
<SingleFamily>False</SingleFamily>
<Max_population>5</Max_population>
<FakePopulation>190</FakePopulation>
<Operational_Priority>1</Operational_Priority>
<RecycleRefund>150</RecycleRefund>
<CanBeDeleted>True</CanBeDeleted>
<IdeaXPAmount>0</IdeaXPAmount>

And well – it goes on for a bit, but I don’t want to overwhelm you.

So let’s start with what we see here

You will notice that each XML tab begins with <TagName> and ends (or closes) with </TagName> This is important. The first Tag is <Building> and the last tag in the file is </Building> every other tag must fall between those tags, and ever tag must be closed for the file to work properly.Also many commands in XML are Case sensitive, so try to keep the spelling and capitalization of the tags exactly as they appear in the original files.
You may also notice that the tags are not always in the same order, it doesn’t really matter what order they are in, but for the sake of simplicity I am dividing them into sections.
You can place notations in your xml file by starting them with the characters <!—and ending them with --> anything in between will be ignored by xml.

The first thing we are going to change is the Building ID, this is not the name that appears in the game, but it is the unique internal name used by the game to track and define the building, if you use the same Building ID as an existing building it can cause conflicts, and only one of the buildings will appear in the game.

Let’s change the name to “Safe House”
<Building ID="Safe House">

Now we are ready to move on.

Section 1.2.1 Building a Home (General Stats)
The next line Type defines what kind of building this is (Decoration, Home, Venue, Workplace), for the moment we are going to leave this as home. The other types will be discussed in later sections.

Cost refers to the cost to build the building.
Because I am planning to give this building some special abilities (discussed in a later section) that make it better than the normal Slum I decide to increase the price.
<Cost>470</Cost>

Special Days, Special Hours, Visit Duration and Case Pay refers to when the building is open, and how much income is generated by workplace types. I believe a home type ignores this tag, but I always leave these at Full_Week, 24_hours, Normal, and 0. (These tags will be discussed more in later sections dealing with Venues and Workplaces)

Happiness Effect – well it seems straight forward, but there is a strange exception to the rules here. The happiness on home type buildings (and only home type) is 3 points higher than what you enter here. So to make a building with a -1 happiness value, you must enter a -4 for this tag. (I have no idea why it was set up this way)

Next comes a tag found only in homes; <SingleFamily>. This is simply set to true or false. If set true the Sims in the household will all have the same last name and children can be born here. If set to false, the Sims will have different names. This may also affect the probability of children occurring in the building. And, since children benefits apply only to their ‘family’ at best the child’s benefit would apply to only one or two other Sims in the building. I really haven’t researched the effect of this tag on children. This tag can be removed entirely, and defaults to false if it is not present.

The next Tag is Max Population, this tells the capacity of the building, whether it be home, venue or workplace. I plan to make this building a little better than the normal slums by giving it some special abilities (discussed in a later section) so I have decided it has to have a drawback to keep it balanced. I decrease the Max Population by 1.
<Max_population>4</Max_population>

Fake Population is another tag found only in home type buildings. This value determines how much the building contributes to your city’s population when the home is fully occupied. The slum has a Fake population of 190; since mine has a lower max population I lower my fake population as well.
<FakePopulation>120</FakePopulation>

Operational Priority determines how likely the building is to be shut off in case of power outages (when your city has insufficient power). A 0 indicates the building will almost never shut down, while a 4 or 5 indicates the building will be the first shut down if power is lost. Generally speaking the higher the power drain of the building the higher this number is set, but there are always exceptions (like police and fire departments)

Ground Texture determines what texture the ground underneath the building is given when the building is placed. With -1 be no texture, 0 being dirt, and 1 being grass. I have no idea what difference it makes (other than aesthetics), but most are either 0 or 1.
<Ground_texture>0</Ground_texture>

Recycle Refund is the amount of money gained back when this building is recycled (bulldozed) in game. This value is usually one half of the base building cost. The home I am making will offer less of a refund than normal if recycled.

Can Be Deleted, this should be self-explainatory, If set to false, the building cannot be deleted (recycled). I can think of no legitimate reason to set this value to false, but there may be times when someone wants to do so.

Lastly in the general stats of this building we have the IdeaXPAmount. I have no idea what this does, or even if it is used, I always leave it at 0.

The first part of my xml file now looks like this, the actual parts I changed are in red text.
<Building ID="Safe House">
<!-- General Stats -->
<Type>Home</Type>
<Cost>470</Cost>

Section 1.2.2 Skinning the Building (Art, Model, Texture)

Ok, so now it is time to make the building appear different.
First go into the game directory and find \Data\Graphics\Models\Houses\
Within this folder you will find several .xac files (these are models for the 3d structures in the game). These follow the same naming standards as the xml files. So find the file named “SC5B_ Slum_Apartments.xac” You may notice that there are actually 3 files beginning with “SC5B_ Slum_Apartments” there is also a …FLP.xac and a …LOD.xac. Copy all three files and place them into the user directory \Data\Graphics\Models\Houses\ (again you may have to create the proper directories)

Rename each model but keep the extensions (including FLP and LOD)
I will rename them as follows
MR2B_Safe_House.xac
MR2B_Safe_House_FLP.xac
MR2B_Safe_House_LOD.xac

It is worth noting that you Do NOT have to copy and rename the model files, you can simply use the existing model. The practice of copying the model files started because you could never be sure that EA wouldn’t change the model in a future expansion. However, since they are no longer planning on releasing anything for the game this practice could (theoretically) be discontinued. Theoretically the game would have to use less memory if it loads fewer models.

Next we move on to the texture (or skin) for the model. This defines the paint job for the model and is how you can customize your building to appear different from the original.
Find the proper textures in the game directory \Data\Graphics\Textures\Buildings\
Each building should have (at least) 5 files associated with it. ( xxx.png; xxx_bump.png; xxx_amb.png; xxx_Ems.png; xxx_Spec.png). Although some, like the slum apartments, share one or more of the files across multiple buildings.
Also take note if you have installed Destinations and or the expansion packs, you will have some files beginning with the prefix “Low_” these files are smaller and less detailed and were meant to help with slow down on computers that could not handle the full graphics. Make sure you get the full sized version to edit, you can always create your own Low versions by copying and resizing those after you are done editing yours.

Copy the five files into the user directory \Data\Graphics\Textures\Buildings\ and rename them as usual (In this case MR2B_Safe_House.png, MR2B_Safe_House_Ems.png, etc)
The ‘normal’ png file contains your building skin, this can be edited with various graphics editors.

A good free graphic editor that I use is called GIMP and can be found for download on-line. It supports various features that make editing easy, but you have to learn how to use them. It has a decent help file, but the help file must be downloaded separately, so don’t forget to get that as well if you need it.

Section 1.2.2a Editing the Graphic
Below left is the original graphic, below right is the modded graphic. Not alot of drastic changes, I made the tin roof more rusted, as well as the barrel (orangish shape near the bottom center), lightened the roof, added a green tint to the walls, and changed the mortared area (bottom left) from tan to grey.

Once you are happy with the changes, save the file and move on. Although in truth you will probably have a period of loading the game, viewing your building, and then exiting the game to make changes. Some people have had luck with changing the file while the game is running and seeing the changes in game instantly. That doesn’t work for me (it turns the building neon pink if I try, and it stays that way until I exit and restart) but you might have better luck.

The other file that you can change is the xxx_Ems.png file. This file controls what areas of the building light up at night. Be aware that even subtle changes can cause drastic results in what glows. So make sure you leave all the black areas completely black.

After you have made any changes you can save a copy of the file with the Low_ prefix and resize it to 64 x 64 pixels if you desire.

You can also mod the bump file if you desire, but I’ve never had much luck with that.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Back to the xml file.

You should have the following tags in your xml file (they may be spread out throughout the file, as order does not matter):

<Model>SC5B_Slum_Apartments</Model>
<MiniMapColor>Home</MiniMapColor>
<UISelectionSet>SC5BuildingCardView</UISelectionSet>
<portrait>SC5BP_SlumApartments</portrait>
<PortraitCard>SC5BPC_SlumApartments</PortraitCard>

The model tag tells the game which model to use, if you copied and renamed your model, you will need to enter that here. If you did not, then leave this as the default model. Note that you do not need to list the .xac extension.
<Model>MR2B_Safe_House</Model>

Here is where you will make the most drastic change. Since each model has a skin associated with it, you must tell the game to use a different skin.
<OverrideTextures>
<OverrideMaterial material="Default" diff="MR2B_Safe_House"
emis="MR2B_Safe_House_Ems" bump="MR2B_Safe_House_Bump"
spec="MR2B_Safe_House_spec" amb="MR2B_Safe_House_amb" />
</OverrideTextures>

You may notice there is no closing tag for the OverrideMaterial. But you can also see that the closing bracket has a slash ‘/’ in front of it. This closes the tag just as if you had put </OverrideMaterial>. The tag can only be set this way in certain areas, and normally it is best to follow the format from the file you are editing.

This section tells the game to use different textures for the building. In theory you could put the original names in for any file you didn’t change (such as the spec, amb, and bump files) this is another way to save space and perhaps memory for the game. But I have never tried it. For example in this case I could have left the bump=”SC5B_Slum Apartments_Bump”

Mini map color tells it what color to display on the mini map. Since this is a home, we can leave the tag unchanged. But other options include Venue, Workplace, and No Color.

UI Selection Set tells the game what User Interface card to use when the object is selected. Again in theory you could change this making a building appear on a Sim card, but I have never tried it.

The portrait and portrait card tags tell the game what images to use for the in game building selection menu and the pop up user interface card when the building is selected. If you want these to look right, they will have to be taken from screen shots in game after you get the building looking right.
These have to be a specific size (128x128 for the portrait and 256x256 for the portrait card). Examples can be found in the game directory: \Data\Graphics\Textures\interface\portraits\

You can go ahead and change the names in your xml file, it won’t hurt anything, but no image will appear in your game until you have the proper images in your user directory \Data\Graphics\Textures\interface\portraits
<portrait>MR2BP_Safe_House</portrait>
<PortraitCard>MR2BPC_Safe_House</PortraitCard>

Note the naming of the files MR2BP (Building Portrait) and MR2BPC (Building Portrait Card) again this isn’t necessary, but makes it easier to sort and identify your images once they start accumulating in your directories.

You should now have something like this
<!-- Art, Models, & Textures-->
<Model>MR2B_Safe_House_A</Model>
<OverrideTextures>
<OverrideMaterial material="Default" diff="MR2B_Safe_House_A"
emis="MR2B_Safe_House_A_Ems" bump="MR2B_Safe_House_A_Bump"
spec="MR2B_Safe_House_A_spec" amb="MR2B_Safe_House_A_amb" />
</OverrideTextures>
<portrait>MR2BP_Safe_House</portrait>
<PortraitCard>MR2BPC_Safe_House</PortraitCard>

(If you haven’t saved your xml by now, shame on you – save often to avoid frustration if something bad happens)

Section 1.2.3 The Shape of all Thing (Geometry Data)

I’m going to skim this bit as there isn’t anything to change here, the basics of it are this – use the same data as the xml file associated with the model you are copying (so if you are copying the Courthouse use the geometry data from the original courthouse.xml). This section tells the game how big the building is, what base to use on uneven ground, etc.

<!-- Geometry Data -->
<TileWidth>4</TileWidth>
<TileHeight>4</TileHeight>
<RubbleModelFinal>SC5BC_8x8</RubbleModelFinal>
<BurntModel>SC5BC_8x8</BurntModel>
<BuildonElevation>true</BuildonElevation>
<BuildingBase model="SC5BB_Urban_8x8x2" mindif="0" maxdif="1" />
<BuildingBase model="SC5BB_Urban_8x8x4" mindif="1" maxdif="2" />
<BuildingBase model="SC5BB_Urban_8x8x6" mindif="2" maxdif="6" />
<FigureBubbleZOffset>5</FigureBubbleZOffset>
<InnerCollisionSphere>9</InnerCollisionSphere>

I will mention this – the building base model – if the base model says “Urban “ it will be a concrete base, if it says “Rural” it will be wooden. Feel free to change it, but be aware that not all sizes (dimensions) of bases are available in both rural and urban.

Also – the 90 degree bug. After update 5 there was a correction which caused an error. The tags Width and Height were actually wrong (or reversed) this was corrected and for most buildings (square base) didn’t even notice. Some (rectangular base) did. If you come across this simple switch the numbers for width and height tags as well as in your building base model (so if it reads 8x16x4 change it to 16x8x4)

Section 1.2.4 Sounding it Out (Audio)
A later section will deal with custom sound sets, for now either leave it as is, or choose a sound set from another building.
<ObjectSoundSet>slum_apartments</ObjectSoundSet>

Section 1.2.5 Filling your Home (Sims, Cars, Enhancements)
The next section is most important for Homes. The Tags are fairly self-explainatory.

<Generated Sim > tells the building what type of Sim to generate for its population, this is not the same as spawning special sims. I have never used anything other than “breadwinner” and SC5 Head of Household, I do not know what would happen otherwise. I believe this tells the game what behavior and models to use for the generated Sim, if you use something else you probably will have undesired affects.
<Generated_Sim type="breadwinner">SC5 Head of Household</Generated_Sim>

Next comes the clothing for our Breadwinner. This tells the game in what default clothing to dress the Sim, this can be overridden by the Sims workplace, which will also define clothes for its workers. Clothing Sets can be found in this game directory: \Data\XMLDb\Art\Clothing\Clothing.xml

Examples include (these clothing sets can be used only for adults):
Athletic
Black Tie
Blue Collar
Business Casual
Fashionable
Frat
Mod
Peasant
Robe
Western
White Collar Workers

Also (these clothing sets can be used for both adults and children)
Casual
Poor

You can specify more than one set,
Make sure if you do the frequency totals 1.00 (100%) so you can assign two sets at .5 each or one at .6 and the other at .4, etc.
<BreadwinnerClothing>
<SimClothingSet set="Poor" frequency=".90" />
<SimClothingSet set="Fashionable" frequency=".10" />
</BreadwinnerClothing>

Next we have another generated Sim tag, this one for children, you can set the probability of a child being propagated. I am unsure if this is probability per visit, per day, or something else. The clothing is handled in the same way for children as for the adults, although there are fewer appropriate clothing sets. Without the proper clothing set the game may crash or have unpredictable affects. If you don’t want your building to have children you can leave this section out entirely. Also I am not sure if children will be generated in a building that does not have the single family tag set to true.
<Generated_Sim type="child" probability="0.1">SC5 Children</Generated_Sim>
<KidClothing>
<SimClothingSet set="Casual" frequency="1" />
</KidClothing>

The next tag is not present in all homes but it defines the maximum number of enhancements that can be placed in a building. I’ve never seen more than 1, and I don’t know what the game defaults to if this tag is not present, probably 0. There seems to be a correlation between the single family tag and this one. As I don’t recall seeing this tag present if the single family tag is not set to true. It may not function in homes that are not single family homes.
<MaxEnhancements>1</MaxEnhancements>

Lastly in this section is the Car Set which determines what kind of car the sims from this building will drive. This can be overridden if they purchase a car from certain venues. But for the most part it will remain the same.

The car sets are defined in the game directory here:
\Data\XMLDb\Game\Cultural Car Sets\Default.xml

You will also note several other defined car sets (eg. Cyberpunk.xml, Industrial.xml, etc.)
This is because when the society changes the cars in a set may change as well.
For example the Suburban Average set gains a chance to have a hearse in a haunted town. I do not know what happens if you leave out the car set for a home, the Sims living in this home may have to walk everywhere, or there may be a default set.

Some Car Sets you can choose from include the following
Future
Rural Average
Rural Poor
Rural Rich
Suburban [Average / Poor / Rich]
Urban [Average / Poor / Rich]

I will not go into the details of the car sets other than to say, if you open the file, the ‘weight’ value listed is _not_ a percentage chance, but a measure of likely-hood against the other cars in the set. So if one car has a weight of 5 another 10 and a third 25. The first is likely 5 out of 40 (or 1 out of 8), the second 2 in 8, and the third 5 in 8. Cars in the cultural sets are added to the default set if the car is a different name, or they can replace the weight of a default car if it is the same name.

So for my home this is my result for this section:

<!-- Sim, Cars, and Enhancements -->
<BreadwinnerClothing>
</BreadwinnerClothing>
<CarSet>UrbanPoor</CarSet>

Section 1.2.6 Building your Abilities (Building Abilities and Actions)

This section will be discussed more in a later section about special abilities. But I will offer this brief example. Many of the possible abilities can be found in the game directory:
\Data\XMLDb\Game\Abilities\Abilities.xml
Although it can be difficult to understand, you are probably better off copying a known ability from an existing building. A building can have static abilities or activated abilities. For mine I am giving some static abilities plus the ability to spawn criminals. Special sim classes that can be spawned are defined in the game directory:
\Data\XMLDb\Game\Special Sim Classes\SimClasses.xml
I will have more on Special Sim classes in a later section

<!-- Special Abilities & Powes -->
<Ability type="Minor Eyesore" />
<Ability type="BriberyLow" />
<Spawn class="SC5 Class Criminal" />
Ok, BriberyLow is a custom made ability, it’s not difficult to set one up, but I am not discussing abilities in this section. So just don’t worry about it right now.

Section 1.2.7 Societal Values (Resources and Prerequisites)
The resources define how much of a societal value a building produces (or requires)
It is fairly straightforward, except the naming of the values.

Productivity = “Industry”
Prosperity = “Wealth”
Creativity = “Creativity”
Spirituality = “Devotion”
Authority = “Obedience”
Knowledge = “Knowledge”
Power = “Power” (This is how much electricity the building requires or produces)

So for my building to produce 2 Productivity and require 5 electricity.
<!-- Resources -->
<Resource resource="Industry" quantity="2" />
<Resource resource="Power" quantity="-5" />

The game will only show two resources (other than power), so you should limit yourself to two. I don’t recall if a third value will have an effect or be ignored by then game.

The Hidden at start tag determines if the building is viewable before it is unlocked. If the tag is set to true, then you cannot see the building until you have unlocked it. This value defaults to false if the tag is left out.
<HiddenAtStart>False</HiddenAtStart>

Prerequisites are similar to the resources with a few exceptions: The societal values are called energy. You can have prerequisites based on population or criminals, and you have to define if you want the value to be a minimum or maximum.

Here are some samples:
<UnlockPrerequisite type="Energy" resource="Industry" min="10" />
This requires that your city has to produce a minimum of 10 Productivity. If the requirement was set to ‘max’ instead of ‘min’, this building could only be unlocked if you are producing 10 or less Productivity.

<UnlockPrerequisite type="Population" min="4000" />
This requires that your city have a minimum population (of 4000 in this case), again this can be changed to a maximum.

<UnlockPrerequisite type=”Simoleans” min=”1350” />
You should be able to figure this one out, and yes it can be a maximum. Any of the listings of ‘min’ can be changed to ‘max’

<UnlockPrerequisite type="Happiness" min="35" resource="Content" subdata="WorseThan" />
<UnlockPrerequisite type="Happiness" min="5" resource="Happy" subdata="BetterThan" />
Ok, now these two may look a little confusing, the first states that you must have a minimum of 35 workers who have a mood ‘worse than’ Content (so sad, angry, and furious all count). The second example requires a minimum of 5 workers who have a mood ‘better than’ Happy (so only elated and ecstatic would count). The Sim moods are furious, angry, sad, content, happy, elated, and ecstatic.

You must meet all the prerequisites _at the same time_ to unlock a building, but once unlocked, it can’t be ‘relocked’ (unless of course you start a new city). So if you had the two listed immediately above, the building would become unlocked only if you had at least 35 workers who were worse than content AND 5 or more workers who were better than happy at the same time. However, once this happened, the building would stay unlocked even if your Sims moods changed.

I believe you can only have three prerequisites, I have never tried more. There are additional prerequisites from Destinations, but the easiest way to deal with those is simply find a building that has a prerequisite and then view its xml file.

Here is the final part of my final Building
<!-- Prerequisites -->
<UnlockPrerequisite type="CityCrimes" min="2" />
Ok, here is one more prerequisite type, City Crimes requires a certain number of criminals be in the city, in this case a minimum of 2.

FINAL BUILDING

<!--Created for Midrealm Mod 2 - by MidrealmDM70 - copyright - John Flemming -->

<Building ID="Safe House A">
<!-- General Stats -->
<Type>Home</Type>
<Cost>470</Cost>
<!-- Art, Models, & Textures-->
<Model>MR2B_Safe_House_A</Model>
<OverrideTextures>
<OverrideMaterial material="Default" diff="MR2B_Safe_House_A"
emis="MR2B_Safe_House_A_Ems" bump="MR2B_Safe_House_B_Bump"
spec="MR2B_Safe_House_A_spec" amb="MR2B_Safe_House_A_amb" />
</OverrideTextures>
<portrait>MR2BP_SafeHouse_A</portrait>
<PortraitCard>MR2BPC_SafeHouse_A</PortraitCard>
<!-- Sim, Cars, and Enhancements -->
<CarSet>UrbanPoor</CarSet>
<BreadwinnerClothing>
</BreadwinnerClothing>
<!-- Audio -->
<ObjectSoundSet>Safehouse1</ObjectSoundSet>
<!-- Geometry Data -->
<TileWidth>4</TileWidth>
<TileHeight>4</TileHeight>
<RubbleModelFinal>SC5BC_8x8</RubbleModelFinal>
<BurntModel>SC5BC_8x8</BurntModel>
<BuildonElevation>true</BuildonElevation>
<BuildingBase model="SC5BB_Urban_8x8x2" mindif="0" maxdif="1" />
<BuildingBase model="SC5BB_Urban_8x8x4" mindif="1" maxdif="2" />
<BuildingBase model="SC5BB_Urban_8x8x6" mindif="2" maxdif="6" />
<FigureBubbleZOffset>5</FigureBubbleZOffset>
<InnerCollisionSphere>9</InnerCollisionSphere>

<!-- Special Abilities & Powes -->
<Spawn class="SC5 Class Criminal" />
<Ability type="BriberyLow" />
<Ability type="Minor Eyesore" />
<SelectionObjectListID>HideOutSelectionObject</SelectionObjectListID>
<!-- Resources -->
<Resource resource="Industry" quantity="2" />
<Resource resource="Power" quantity="-5" />
<!-- Prerequisites -->
<UnlockPrerequisite type="CityCrimes" min="2" />
</Building>

You may notice a few tags in there that I didn’t discuss, I will be bringing them up in later sections.

If you followed all of this you should have a new building, It won’t have a portrait, name, or description yet (sorry – have to get into that later), but the building should work.

This concludes Section 1
Hope this helps with your modding.
Last edited by Azeem on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Get yourself a free account on MS SkyDrive. You are limited to about 20-25GB of file space there, however.

CustomR

Postby CustomR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Cheers!

Korbinos

Postby Korbinos » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:44 am

Great! thanks so much :D

primitive

Postby primitive » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:20 am

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the disabled attachments here, for mod guide sections II - V? I'm trying to construct a workable mod guide for myself. If they could be posted here that would be great. Many thanks in advance to anyone who would be willing to help!

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 am

Unfortunately I didn't download the other parts before the forum hacking attack destroyed all the files here. :( But I would be able to answer some modding questions that the guides would have addressed.

Quantum Reality

Postby Quantum Reality » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:23 pm

"Azeem" wrote:Unfortunately I didn't download the other parts before the forum hacking attack destroyed all the files here. :( But I would be able to answer some modding questions that the guides would have addressed.

Oh no! :(

I just reinstalled SCS after a few years away from the game and wanted to learn modding, so I could change the building height wrt the road (which is a known bug in Patch 5).

Has anyone recovered the other doc files?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:32 am

The parameters you're looking for (including the Zoom feature) might be in the Constants xml file.

Quantum Reality

Postby Quantum Reality » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:28 am

Thanks! :) Also, the .doc files appear to have been recovered! Better snag them in case anything happens.

Also, would anyone like me to convert them all into a big PDF for loading onto your ebook reader or what-have-you?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:42 pm

OMG. They have. :eek:

Wonder if this means that the old mods that disappeared are also restored again? :confused:

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”