Placeable Airplanes

For discussion and help on modding and customizing the game
Azeem

Placeable Airplanes

Postby Azeem » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:54 am

I still have yet to find a way to randomize airplane textures that appear whenever the plane appears so I'm assuming at this point that it is hard-coded (or there might be something terribly obvious that I haven't thought of :o ).

Soldyne's car "decoration" packs have given me an idea: if we can have placeable cars, why not placeable airplanes? :) This way, we can have more than one airplane texture appear. It's somewhat artificial but there's no better alternative so far.

There's nothing we can do about the fence of the airport, but one could use a bit of imagination here. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheCuriosity

Postby TheCuriosity » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 am

Don't know anything yet about the modding (downloaded the guide, yet to read - its soo big!) but as with one of the farm animal mods for the cows, the placer was ways away from the cows so you could put the cows inside a building if you managed correctly.

Is the placer something that a modder can determine 'where' and 'size' in relation to the oject and as such, something similar could be done with the planes, or in the situation of the cows, it was just a on-off occurance due to some hard-coded stuff or something?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:34 pm

MidRealm's guide is probably the best one we have so far as it takes into account the changes made up to SCS Destinations.

There are a bunch of things hardcoded; we can't change the fundamental shape of the model and a lot of buildings come as-is. I could set the tile size of the aircraft to 1x1 tile and have it overlap at the edge of the airport fence, but I can't put it inside the airport because the fence is part of the model and can't be taken out. The cows wierdness could be from the change of building orientation in later versions of SCS that strangely shifted all modded buildings 90 degrees; most of these were fixed by modders already but some of the older stuff likely hasn't been fixed yet.

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:19 pm

One solution would be to mod in a fenceless airport. I don't mean removing the fence from the model, but only removing the fence coloration so it is invisible. Then you would have to build your own chain link fence around your "enlarged" airport.

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:16 am

The fence is part of the .xac file, which we can't edit.

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm

The bones of the fence are in the XAC file, but the skin isn't. Isn't there a way to set the skin of the fence to transparancy?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:24 am

The chainlink fence disappears when cutting out the graphic and leaving a transparent background, but the fenceposts are part of the actual building model and cannot be made invisible.

In any case, Norm35 made a valuable discovery in allowing for different airliners to appear at the airport at different time intervals.

Sandra Linkletter

Postby Sandra Linkletter » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 pm

I think I understand what you are saying. The fence post bones are skinned with a portion of the building wall, so that making them transparent would cause transparent stripes in the building?

Azeem

Postby Azeem » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:48 am

The fence post has its own texture. The chainlink part can be transparent, but the fence posts are not set to have transparency. This does not seem to be changeable.

MidrealmDM70

Postby MidrealmDM70 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:57 pm

"Sandra Linkletter" wrote:I think I understand what you are saying. The fence post bones are skinned with a portion of the building wall, so that making them transparent would cause transparent stripes in the building?

If you set a transparency on part of the model that is three dimensional you end up with a default sort of pinkish white color.

Some models have 'two diminsional' parts, which act like sheets or curtains, visible only from two sides and having virtually no depth. These can be set to transparent and, unless you examine it very closely, you wont notice anything.

R8-Q88

Postby R8-Q88 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:43 pm

One thing you could do is put the tall chainlink fence (forgot who made it) around the airplanes to make a fence extension.

Return to “Mods (Discussion)”